SASS Wire Forum

Help me identify this hammer!

Mezcal Charlie

1 hour ago, Barry Sloe said:

Appears to be a Super Blackhawk hammer. 

BS

That’s what I thought/hoped as long as you can still get them. It looked different from the montado (sp?) hammers. 

10 minutes ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

That’s what I thought/hoped as long as you can still get them. It looked different from the montado (sp?) hammers. 

I believe that the two hammers are basically identical, the big difference is that the SBH hammer has the serrations as shown and the Montado has crossed serrations. 

BS

I believe it is a SBH hammer as well. Looks like the Montado uses the SBH hammer. The closest other choice is the Bisley hammer, which I prefer and is more often available.

Imis  My $.02

3 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

I believe that the two hammers are basically identical, the big difference is that the SBH hammer has the serrations as shown and the Montado has crossed serrations. 

BS

And the Montado kit w Wolff springs is $209.00 at Midway vs a SBH hammer $22 and Wolff spring kit $13

On 1/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, Mister Badly said:

The montado hammers have rear corners which can nip your thumb as it rolls over it while cocking if you are a duelist or gunfighter. It's too dang smooth also.

I agree, I shoot duelest and find the Montado a bit smooth. I'm thinking of swapping  in the standard NMV hammer. it's almost like an old Colt SAA hammer. I reworked one to fit my 357 Blackhawk. Lots of metal to remove, but worth it. 

1744600167_NMVhammervsColthammer.thumb.jpg.541c3983dc96914d14426f0b1bd13caf.jpg

BB

Archived