SASS Wire Forum

Colt Custom Shop Taking Orders....

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I was visiting Colt's website, and they say that the Custom Shop is taking orders for customized SAA's.   Not bad.  

Now, a generic SAA lists on their website for $1700 MSRP.

An SAA from the Custom Shop costs over $3000 before they do any custom work to it.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?   I figure I can save a lot of money finding a generic, new or used, Colt, take to the shop and have the work I want done.

The way I read the order form, it's what they will do and charge you for work on your gun.  They aren't selling a pistol, just the work on yours, which they won't do if your pistol has been worked on by anyone.  I wonder what their "action job" is?  I'm not thrilled with the statement:

All firearms left in factory at your own risk.

I collect  old Colts and Winchesters I use a Colt as  my backup when hunting I carry a 94 Winchester in 38-55 made in 1897 and the old Colt has taken several Black Bear and four Whitetails. All with Black Powder. I keep my shots under 50 yds. with the Colt and 100 yds. with the 38-55.

They are sweet 

I had a colt done for my 50th birthday, it was about 30% engraved when finished, it only took them 2 years and about 20 phone calls to get my gun to me ( this was BEFORE COVID-19 hit ) if your in a hurry you may want to look around for a different engraver, Colts a bit slow

ORR

I bought my first Colt single action in January of 1973. In .45 Colt caliber, 4 3/4 inch barrel, blue-casehardened finish, in a "stagecoach" box. $235.00. 

Nowadays, the new-old-stock "stagecoach" empty boxes, are going for $375.00 !!!  

So much for "progress". 

I am not paying that price, for a new, or custom work, on my Colt. I reckon my Colt buying days are over, regardless if CZ or "B.F.E." owns them. 

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

To be honest, I think the most I want to have done right now is find a generic sheriff's model in .45 Colt, take it down to Hartford and say, "Can you put a 12" barrel on this?"

I would recommend you buy a buntline barrel on EBay, get a Colt .45 ( both 3rd gens) and get your favorite gunsmith do the work. I have had that done on New Frontiers, in .22 and .44, with nickel plated barrels that I found around. My son at the time was just starting and I thought it would be fun to have them both done. His was from a Wyatt Earp .22 and I actually found the box for the Commemorative as well. I have since picked up a nickel plated .44-40 buntline and am thinking about putting the 5.5 back on the new frontier (.44). 
One question though, why a .45 storekeeper model if you are changing the barrel?  

You mention favorite gunsmith are there any true gunsmiths in New England that  do quality work on  these old designed firearms?

I know there are a few cut and chop race gun smiths,  But I would not put a old Colt or Winchester in their shop.

Don’t know about New England area as I am in S FL, but I would think there would be in Connecticut as that is where a lot of ex-Colt workers are I think. It’s just a barrel switch, not a Bob Munden action job. Hell Larry Potterfield at Midway USA probably has everything you need to do yourself!

35 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Don’t know about New England area as I am in S FL, but I would think there would be in Connecticut as that is where a lot of ex-Colt workers are I think. It’s just a barrel switch, not a Bob Munden action job. Hell Larry Potterfield at Midway USA probably has everything you need to do yourself!

Quite true.

Why the Sheriff?   Sheriff's models are C&R.   Has nothing to do with barrel length, it's the frame.

Why a long barrel Sheriff?  To be different.

Why take it to the factory?   So it's a "factory mod" that'll show up on my letter.  :)

Gunsmiths?   Well, there's a good general gunsmith in Billerica, one town over from me, who's done some simple work for me.   He could change the barrel if I wanted him too.

https://shawsheenfirearms.com/

Another gunsmith who does have a lot of experience with old timey guns is a gentleman name Sergey based in Natick

http://www.rustbluing.com/

He does VERY good work, and I have had him do some work to a few of my cowboy guns over the years.   Among other things, he fitted the barrel for my Big Iron, repaired a problem with my Henry, and a few other things.   I would recommend him for Cowboy work without hesitation.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Why the Sheriff?   Sheriff's models are C&R.   Has nothing to do with barrel length, it's the frame.

Why a long barrel Sheriff?  To be different.

Why take it to the factory?   So it's a "factory mod" that'll show up on my letter.  :)

Gunsmiths?   Well, there's a good general gunsmith in Billerica, one town over from me, who's done some simple work for me.   He could change the barrel if I wanted him too.

https://shawsheenfirearms.com/

Another gunsmith who does have a lot of experience with old timey guns is a gentleman name Sergey based in Natick

http://www.rustbluing.com/

He does VERY good work, and I have had him do some work to a few of my cowboy guns over the years.   Among other things, he fitted the barrel for my Big Iron, repaired a problem with my Henry, and a few other things.   I would recommend him for Cowboy work without hesitation.

Wasn’t aware that the Sheriff’s model was C & R eligible, but I have seen them out pricing regular SAAs. But thanks for the education about all of it. I was thinking you just wanted to get it done and shoot it. 

Hey, H.K.,

I looked at the Colt's web site again, and I misread the Custom Shop form.  You were right.  The top box is per pistol.  The only thing of interest is that they are available in a lot of different calibers.  Maybe that's why they want so much. 

On 1/23/2022 at 9:17 AM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I bought my first Colt single action in January of 1973. In .45 Colt caliber, 4 3/4 inch barrel, blue-casehardened finish, in a "stagecoach" box. $235.00. 

Nowadays, the new-old-stock "stagecoach" empty boxes, are going for $375.00 !!!  

So much for "progress". 

I am not paying that price, for a new, or custom work, on my Colt. I reckon my Colt buying days are over, regardless if CZ or "B.F.E." owns them. 

$235 in 1973 is supposed to equate to $1441 now....  so the MSRP of $1700 isn't all THAT far off... 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:48 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I was visiting Colt's website, and they say that the Custom Shop is taking orders for customized SAA's.   Not bad.  

Now, a generic SAA lists on their website for $1700 MSRP.

An SAA from the Custom Shop costs over $3000 before they do any custom work to it.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?   I figure I can save a lot of money finding a generic, new or used, Colt, take to the shop and have the work I want done.

I have 4 Colts all used. One was unfired from 1979, I got a great deal on all of them, well below the $1799.00 for a new one. 

Mine are all in .357 which brings a little less money than the .45 or .44-40's but I shoot .38's so that's why I bought them.

I have not seen any Colt single action revolvers, going for the msrp of $1,700.00. The one's I see, on line, are going for a lot higher prices, than that. I do not believe one can obtain one, from anywhere, for $1,700.00...other than in your dreams. 

I have not seen one, at any price, in a gun shop around here, since Moby Dick was a minnow.

7 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I have not seen any Colt single action revolvers, going for the msrp of $1,700.00. The one's I see, on line, are going for a lot higher prices, than that. I do not believe one can obtain one, from anywhere, for $1,700.00...other than in your dreams. 

I have not seen one, at any price, in a gun shop around here, since Moby Dick was a minnow.

One just sold on the Classified for $1650 or close to that. Slightly used. Great deal! It sold within a day!

On 1/23/2022 at 7:39 AM, john brown said:

You mention favorite gunsmith are there any true gunsmiths in New England that  do quality work on  these old designed firearms?

I know there are a few cut and chop race gun smiths,  But I would not put a old Colt or Winchester in their shop.

Hard to beat Turnbull

I told you guys 15 years ago that the Colt Custom Shop Colts were a bargain ....and they were...until the CZ Sale

Afterall, CZ has to make their money back for purchasing Colt!

And they definitely are responding to customer demand...We have been asking Colt for years to bring back their wheel guns, particularly the Snakes: Pythons, Anacondas, Cobras, King Cobras,Diamondbacks, etc... And now that CZ bought Colt, they have brought them All Back and they are excellent guns made extremely well...In some cases, better than Colt

I know nothing however about the state of production of the SAA since CZ bought them.

All of My old contacts at Colt, Including Colt's President, are of course All gone.....

12 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

I told you guys 15 years ago that the Colt Custom Shop Colts were a bargain ....and they were...until the CZ Sale

Afterall, CZ has to make their money back for purchasing Colt!

And they definitely are responding to customer demand...We have been asking Colt for years to bring back their wheel guns, particularly the Snakes: Pythons, Anacondas, Cobras, King Cobras,Diamondbacks, etc... And now that CZ bought Colt, they have brought them All Back and they are excellent guns made extremely well...In some cases, better than Colt

I know nothing however about the state of production of the SAA since CZ bought them.

All of My old contacts at Colt, Including Colt's President, are of course All gone.....

Good to hear from you again, Shorty.  Hope all is well.

Had the Colt Custom Shop build this for me recently.

CZ had SQUAT to do with ANY of the new snake models .

To say Sheriffs models are C&R eligible ... is just wrong .

Also , a sheriffs model is the same exact frame as any other Single Action Army.

0A27E1E5-D1B4-4244-8F24-F918420EADE5.jpeg

4B561E9D-14F2-4202-9A35-EEFAC1243155.jpeg

1 hour ago, E.D. BLACK said:

To say Sheriffs models are C&R eligible ... is just wrong .

Also , a sheriffs model is the same exact frame as any other Single Action Army.

Uhm....

From the  C&R book published by the BATF....

"Colt, Sheriffs Model revolver, cal.’s .44 and .45."

To say that Sheriffs models are C&R eligible... is just the truth.

And, no, the Sheriff's frame is not the same.   The little nub that has the hole in to for the ejector rod to go through is not there.

Here's a pic of a "regular" SAA and a Sheriff's model1547212843_SheriffandStandars.thumb.JPG.ca5bf898eacebf2691c3e2484d8624c9.JPG

Now here's a closeup of the frames.  You should se the difference just above the button that releases the cylinder pin.

1084825271_CloseupofFrames.thumb.JPG.713a846e6764b953554e52874f7fbbe0.JPG

For a better view, here is a look with the cylinders removed.  You can see how  the Sheriff's model frame is missing the part the ejector rod goes through.

1877479196_FromRear.thumb.JPG.c7bee1653368fe47f60c87d00e1d29f5.JPG

So, yes.  The Sheriff frame is different.

Archived