SASS Wire Forum

Thought I'd start another thread as this is a bit different but none the less dedicated to my stupid moment with a gun..

I  started CAS in 2006, now as we all know  we like to practise those certain things to get a little better.

In this case it was the shotgun & shucking the mt's, so naturally I loaded up some dummy shells & every now & then I would attempt to get better ..load, shuck, load , shuck etc.

I bet some of you know where this is heading..yes your right 'BUT it is the ending !!

Anyway one night I'm out in the shed loading shotgun, my mind wanders & I think..'yeah I'II get a bit more practise while I can, so I pull the dummy's out & put them on the bench next to the press..everything is fine for a while, bit of loading ,bit of practise..I'm using black  Win AA's  for both..you guessed it , put 2 dummy's in , shuck, load 2..I'm pointing into the corner of the shed where all my rods & reels are..'BOOM -BOOM..all the fishing rods are blown in half, reels lived to fight another day..a few shed holes needed some patching.

I certainly learned a lesson that night !!!!

I shot our entertainment center. 

One night years ago I was watching a movie and drinking beer. This guy in the movie unloaded a 1911 by racking the slide numerous times to eject all the rounds. He did it very very quickly. 
I thought “Why didn’t he just drop the mag and eject the wrong in the chamber?”

The beer thought “Hey, I would bet money you could do that faster!”

So, I paused the VCR and went and got my loaded 1911, sat down in front of the TV then rewound the tape so Nimrod Action Star and I could race to see who was faster. :blink:

Ready…..GO!

Shuck, shuck, shuck, (he’s faster better hurry) shuck, shuck, BLAM!, Wheeeeeeeeeeeee (ears ringing)

It was 2:00 am. There was a hole in the door of the entertainment center. I was totally embarrassed and a bit anxious. I opened the door. My daughter’s Nintendo system was dead along with several game cartridges. The bullet had passed through them, went out the back, bounced off the drywall and somehow ended up back beside the chair I had been sitting in. 

What a stupid stupid thing to do. I have not handled a gun since if I had any beer or liquor and I learned a big lesson in finger placement when handling guns. 

Oh, and it didn’t wake anyone up…except me. 

I shot my microwave!! 

Here’s the story:

I was working part time at the Local Gun shop/range. We carried all day. That morning as I was getting ready to go to work I decided to carry my Model 19 instead of my 1911. I tried the gun on with the holster to see how it felt. It felt fine. I thought, Let me see about drawing this gun. I drew it and it was loaded. Muscle memory kicked in and I drew and cocked it! You guessed it, BOOM right into the power button of the microwave! Yikes!! I thought What an idiot!!!! :(:angry:

Once again I'm going to tell on someone else.

My gun pusher - the guy that owned the store that I used to live at. He's in there one night after closing. The doors are locked and the steel shutters are run down, so if he had needed help the ambulance crew could not have got into him.

He's taking inventory. Got the bound book in his hand. Take a gun out of the display case, rack it to make sure it's empty, verify the serial number with the book, pull the trigger to drop the hammer, and put it back in the case.

While drinking beer.

He's missing a gun. He looks all over the shop trying to find it. Oh no. Someone has stolen a gun. Oh wait. It's not stolen. He's wearing it.

So he draws the gun, verifies the serial number with the book (y'all see where this is going, right?) Then points the gun down and pulls the trigger to drop the hammer. Blows a hole through the display case.

Hunting deer in PA, mid 70's, I'm using my M70 Winchester. Walking back to the car we pass 2 guy gutting a buck. Get to the car and I start working the bolt to empty the gun, first round out, my dad yells " HEY LOOK WHERE YOU"RE POINTING THAT GUN!". Well I'm pointing it at the 2 guys, so I point the barrel up close it, one hand on the stock other on the bolt, gun goes off. My dad just says " see?". I hunted with that gun 20 more years and it never did that again.

Sigh.  I was at a state level match when one of the brass shells (that I had bought used) refused to go all the way into the chamber of my 10 gauge.  I guess I got caught up in the moment and in an act of incredible stupidity I grabbed the knife off my belt and tried to use the hilt to pound the shell into the chamber.

I think most of you have already guessed where this was going.  I managed to light off the primer, which in turn lit off 120 grs of 2F bp.  Aside from a badly bruised hand and some grains of bp that are still under my skin I was relatively uninjured.   I'm very grateful no one else was hurt.

We never did find the knife or brass hull and I strongly suspect if RMC hadn't made such a really good brass case, I would have been injured far worse.

Note:  In NO way was this the fault of the RMC brass hull.  It was entirely my fault for being an idiot and not chamber checking the used hulls to see if they fit properly.

Not me, but a co-worker;

He called me Sunday night and asked me to pick him up to go to work Monday morning. We lived close enough it was no problem.

I picked him up and noticed his car was in his garage and his wife's was not, instead to the usual other way around.

"Having trouble with yours?" I asked. "Not mechanical" he replied. "Come have a look!"

Bird hunting with friends, driving from spot to spot, one friend got into the back seat holding his shotgun without casing it.

When challenged, the fellow said, "No problem, it's not loaded and pulled the trigger.

The shot column followed the inside curvature of the roof, bulging it out quite a bit.

And that was the end of hunting with that fellow.

For about 20 years, I had responsibility to investigate hunting accidents occurring within our Region of CA for the State Dept of Fish and Game.  Over that time-span, about 80% of the firearm fatalities occurred at the conclusion of hunting, while loading an "unloaded" gun (most often a shotgun) into a vehicle.  (Our Unloading Table and ULTO duties are very important, folks; especially on the last stage of the day. ) 

Two stories.  I was not witness to either or involved.

Back in the 70s, the place I worked at sponsored some of the shop boys in the local trap competition.  The boys would go out once a week and do their shoots so over the course of the season it can get pricey for a young man so it was not uncommon to re-load and this one guy on the team did re-load his own.  One night the team is out shooting, this particular young man steps up, calls out, PULL, as his gun is pointed up all you heard was an anemic pop and when the gun was pointed to the ground all of the shot poured out, trickle, trickle, trickle onto the ground.  So now he has a miss.  His next time up, PULL, pop, trickle, trickle, trickle.  Those of you seasoned re-loaders know how easy it is to not pay attention to the amount of shot and powder in the bottles on top of your MEC machine.  After a while the bottles become cloudy as well.  To finish out the evening, the young man goes to the club house and buys a box of factory as he figures that all of his ammo is missing the powder as he now has two misses for the night.

At the end of the evening this young man goes home to his rented trailer in the local trailer park.  Being the thrifty young man that he is, he decided he might as well take the shells apart and save the shot and the wads. He goes into the bathroom of his abode (why the bathroom, I don't know) sits on the throne, points the barrel of his shot gun into a waste basket and proceeds to pop, trickle, trickle, trickle.  Pop, trickle, trickle, trickle.  Pop, trickle, trickle, trickle.  KA-BOOM!  He blows a good sized hole in the bathroom floor of his trailer, loosing all the shot and wads he was trying to save in the process.  He woke many of the neighbors and spent a fair amount of time convincing the local constabulary he was not a threat to others.

Next story involves a local businessman.  The owner of a local trucking company.  He is out deer hunting with a buddy and as it is his habit, when he unloads his rifle, as he is putting the rifle in the case, pointing the cased gun at the floor of his pickup, he pulls the trigger as he believed not doing so put undue stress on the springs.  This time as he is putting the rifle in the case, he pulls the trigger and, you guessed it, the rifle was still loaded.  Big boom and the round went through the transmission of his truck.  Didn't do that no more.

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I'm beginning to think you guys are bad luck to be around .....   :blink:

:P

Well as my friend Willy used to say: "If ya never do anything, nothing will happen to ya: Except grow old"

The closest I've ever come to being shot was by another cop.  We were on the PD indoor range after work just having some fun.  I finished up and was waiting for my buddy to finish shooting.   He pulled off his ear protection so I asked him if he was done so I could take off my ear muffs.  He pulled his pistol while looking right at me and I just KNEW he was going to point it at me and pull the trigger to show me it was empty.  I was in the midst of contemplating knocking him into next week when he pointed it to his side, down range, and pulled the trigger...  BOOOOOM!!  Luckily the only damage was to his ear drums.  He said he had, momentarily, thought about pointing the pistol at me, but the look on my face made him realize that would be a bad idea.  He was not an idiot and he definitely knew better, he just had a really stupid thought for a moment.  It scared the heck out of him and pi&&3d me off.

Similar story.  Another coworker, this one was an idiot, was showing off his new back up gun in roll call one morning.  While waving it around like an idiot someone said "I sure hope that's empty".  The dips*** pointed it at the head of somebody else in the room and pulled the trigger.  Luckily the result was a "click" followed by a fair amount of cussing from the assembled group.  What an incredible dumb@&&.   That still gives me the willies when I think about it.

Angus

A friend of mine was driving his pick up along a somewhat raised rural 2 lane road that had fields on either side. He spotted a nice buck off in the right field about 200 yds away. He slowed, looked around and stopped quietly. He eased the door open and got his rifle out of the soft case behind the seat. He then took careful aim through the scope over the hood of the truck and squeezed one off. You guessed it, right through to top of the hood and out thru the right quarter panel. He sent me a pic of it on my old work phone but I never transferred the pics when I left the company.

40 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

A friend of mine was driving his pick up along a somewhat raised rural 2 lane road that had fields on either side. He spotted a nice buck off in the right field about 200 yds away. He slowed, looked around and stopped quietly. He eased the door open and got his rifle out of the soft case behind the seat. He then took careful aim through the scope over the hood of the truck and squeezed one off. You guessed it, right through to top of the hood and out thru the right quarter panel. He sent me a pic of it on my old work phone but I never transferred the pics when I left the company.

Saw a guy at an open outdoor range in SoCal shooting his AR-15 across the hood of his brand new Dodge truck. 
He fired once. I heard the bullet whine as it went. He fired twice. Then looked up and realized he had just creased the hood of his truck, twice. Not a happy camper. 

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Distant cousin was showing off his new 7mm Rem Mag.  Lays it across the bed of his 2 week old truck, calls out a distant target about 200 yards away, and pulls the trigger.  DAMN that was loud as we point out he missed the target my a mile. He loads another round and someone yells stop. He looks up and sees several of us pointing to the far side of the truck bed where a huge hole can be seen along with a lot of mangled metal. The bullet impacted about 1/2 inch below the top of the bed rail.

Heard later his wife almost divorced him over than incident.

Archived