SASS Wire Forum

M&M’s announces ‘woke’ overhaul

Buckshot Bear

I just eat my food, I don't talk to it or ask it's opinion.

I wouldn’t care I Red China or Satan himself made M&Ms.

I’d still eat em.

Oreos too. :lol:

Gosh. What’s gonna happen to alphabet soup?….  There are gonna be rules on what words you can make in your bowl!

Sam Sackett 

56 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Female empowered M&Ms! :lol::lol:

Now along with the above @Utah Bob #35998, just make sure that you're really kind and considerate to Orange M&Ms because reading the article they are prone to being a lil' high strung, easily depressed and sometimes have suicidal tendencies because of their upbringing and how they are treated by the other coloured M&M's (rotten bastards!)  ........ just treat 'em with kid gloves till you eat 'em :) :) :) 

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They're going to pay more attention to the ampersand between the Ms.

What the hell does that even mean?

Got zero idea @Alpo the whole article would make more sense to me if it was the 1st of April .......because its hard to believe that the world is this crazy.

19 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Will they have new "flesh" colored m&m s?

Whose color flesh though? :blink:;)

53 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Got zero idea @Alpo the whole article would make more sense to me if it was the 1st of April .......because its hard to believe that the world is this crazy.

No it isn't.  That's why I left California eight yers ago, because it is Crazy Central.

1 minute ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I'm not surprised.  It seems to be the thing to do in order to try to keep the product relevant and make sure marketing is effective.

I wonder how many people just get turned off enough to vote with their wallets?

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I wonder how many people just get turned off enough to vote with their wallets?

No idea.  Pandering doesn't bother me so much.  They're not actually making a political statement.  That's a different game.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Another site where you have to join or agree to be spammed.  So I did not get to read it as I will not do either.

Here you go @Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

M&M’s unveils new ‘progressive’ characters

M&M’s has unveiled a “progressive” overhaul of its iconic characters to better represent themes such as female empowerment.

M&M’s has unveiled a “progressive” overhaul of its iconic characters to better represent themes such as female empowerment.

The Mars-owned chocolate brand revealed the new look and feel of its multi-coloured, anthropomorphised characters Thursday, saying it was “on a mission to create a world where everyone feels they belong”.

“As an iconic brand that’s been around for over 80 years, it’s really important that we’re evolving over time as well, and one of the most powerful ways we can do that is through our beloved characters,” M&M’s global vice president Jane Hwang told Cheddar News.

“We’ve done a deep look at them both inside as well as out, in terms of reflecting new looks, personalities and backstories.”

Your favorite M&Ms characters are getting a glow up.

Each color will reflect “new looks, personalities, and backstories,†says @mmschocolate Global Vice President Jane Hwang. pic.twitter.com/QvyUgj1okv

— Cheddar News 🧀 (@cheddar) January 20, 2022

The Green M&M has ditched her high-heeled boots for sneakers, and will “better reflect empowerment and confidence and be known for more than just her shoes”.

“You’re going to see Green and Brown together being a supporting force for women who are throwing shine and not shade,” Ms Hwang said.

Orange, meanwhile, will suffer from anxiety issues to better reflect young people.

“You’ll also Orange really embrace his true self, worries and all, and not be afraid to express it,” she said.

“We actually know Orange as the most relatable of the characters in the crew based on some conversations we’ve had with gen Z, which we know is the most anxious generation.”

Popping in to say hi. Allow us to re-introduce ourselves if you’re new here! We’re M&M’S, the candy you know and love, but this space is all about fun. Together, we can use the power of fun to create a world where we all belong. #ForAllFunkind Learn more: https://t.co/lHVuyQkWanpic.twitter.com/klpe29JfBF

— M&M'S (@mmschocolate) January 20, 2022

The M&M’s website includes new “profiles” for the characters – Yellow, Red, Orange, Brown, Blue and Green.

“Which M&M’s character are you?” it reads. “The world needs all colours. Which one do you add to the mix?”

Green’s bio says her “best quality” is “being a hypewoman for my friends”.

“I think we all win when we see more women in leading roles, so I’m happy to take on the part of supportive friend when they succeed,” it says.

Brown’s says she’s “not bossy, just the boss”.

Ms Hwang said M&M’s would also be using a wider colour palette in its branding, and would be placing more emphasis on the ampersand in its name.

“It’s a distinctive element of the M&M’s logo that connects the two Ms together, and it’s really a signal of our belief as a brand that we are better together,” she said.

Reaction on social media was mixed.

“I will no longer be buying M&M’s. I’ve had enough of this woke nonsense,” one Twitter user wrote.

“Nobody asked for this. Especially women who have loved the Green M&M for years. Bring back the boots!” another said.

Did my shoes really break the internet? pic.twitter.com/ZaisgZ9QYZ

— M&M'S (@mmschocolate) January 20, 2022

But others welcomed the change.

“Love this, thank you,” one wrote.

“Even the people that are complaining about this are talking about inclusion, which is absolutely stellar. Very, very good job,” another said.

Some used the opportunity to criticise Mars for its business practices.

“Y’all should worry more that you can only guarantee 24 per cent of the chocolate you buy didn’t come from child slave labour,” one person wrote, linking to a 2019 Washington Post article about child labour in Africa.

5 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Just a comment?

Well, to be as exact as possible and still discreet,  we'd offer one to each other and ask if the other wanted to get that way and go from there.  If we were at someone's house and they had a bowl full of just green we'd giggle and try and take some home with us for later.  

That and bologna because of a line in the movie "coal miners daughter "

We were younger then.  I need to go buy some. 

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Whose color flesh though? :blink:;)

That's the joke. There was a big controversy years ago with Crayola crayons because they had a light colored "flesh" crayon. I believe they did away with it at that time.

first it was cocoa-cola, now mandms' ................

...... this "woke" business is getting ridiculous ....... soon it'll impact something important ......  :(

I need a Pepsi and some Smarties  :wacko:

Am I missing something but it’s their “characters” they are altering so who cares? The candy itself is the same. I don’t buy M&Ms for the characters. As Marshall Mo Hare said, it’s just an ad campaign to get you to buy some!! 
Next time you’re at the store I bet you look at the M&Ms! You may even buy a bag!:lol:

<_<

Archived