SASS Wire Forum

Think I made an oopsie

Chief Rick

I had several issues with the carrier of a 44WCF '73 not wanting to rise smoothly during my last match.  Not every round but several.  Carriers works smoothly when no rounds are on it.

I was using 174 gr TCFP but am out so switched to 200 gr RNFP.

I was really concentrating on making sure OAL was good so I made three rounds and went outside to make sure they would cycle = did so with no problems but I noticed there was a little more recoil.

Loaded up 50 rounds Clays powder and 200 gr bullets.

I called myself checking the powder charge before I started, but...

After I was finished I threw another charge and weighed = 5.5 grains.

Maximum charge listed for the 44WCF with Clays is 5.0 grains.:(

Rounds too long. When you have one that doesn't feed smoothly I'd bet dollars to donuts the nose of the bullet is catching ever so slightly on the mag tube when the carrier starts to rise.

I load 44-40 with a Dillon XL650.  This is a very hard loader to get to work for that cartridge.  I check the charge with every 10th round and check OAL for 100% of the rounds.  With the same loader I can make 500 rounds an hour of 45 Auto.

The 44-40 is just an evil mistress who requires constant attention.

Since the max load, 5.0gr, is only 765 fps, it doesn't seem like 5.5 would be overly hot.  But that is unknown territory.  The good news is, should you decide to pull those rounds, the thin case mouth on 44-40 makes it a little easier.

Max load of Clays with a 180 grainer in .38-40 is 5.5 grains. This is what happens with a 4.2 grain double charge of 8.4 grains.

Well, I assume it was a double charge - no way of telling, really, but if it was, it would have been 8.4 grains.

1839327935_JagerKaboom-Copy.thumb.jpg.3ba4c1da8d371db0ae2a97614dd616da.jpg

1 hour ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

…I check the charge with every 10th round and check OAL for 100% of the rounds.  With the same loader I can make 500 rounds an hour of 45 Auto.…

Curious.  What powder charge and OAL deviation do you find?

2 hours ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

I load 44-40 with a Dillon XL650.  This is a very hard loader to get to work for that cartridge.  I check the charge with every 10th round and check OAL for 100% of the rounds.  With the same loader I can make 500 rounds an hour of 45 Auto.

The 44-40 is just an evil mistress who requires constant attention.

I've been loading with Clays on a 550 for a few years and (knock on wood) have never had a weight deviation that was really noticeable with 38 Special or C45S.  I have to take full responsibility for not verifying the charge before I started.  Just glad I checked afterwards.

I have a complete tool head set up for 38 Special, C45S and now 44 WCF so I shouldn't need to fiddle with any settings once I get it dialed in.

I do normally check charge weight prior to starting a new batch just to make sure the powder hasn't bridged after sitting for a week or more.

I'll be ordering a case gauge for the 44 WCF.

19 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I've been loading with Clays on a 550 for a few years and (knock on wood) have never had a weight deviation that was really noticeable with 38 Special or C45S.  I have to take full responsibility for not verifying the charge before I started.  Just glad I checked afterwards.

I have a complete tool head set up for 38 Special, C45S and now 44 WCF so I shouldn't need to fiddle with any settings once I get it dialed in.

I do normally check charge weight prior to starting a new batch just to make sure the powder hasn't bridged after sitting for a week or more.

I'll be ordering a case gauge for the 44 WCF.

Ive used multiple tool heads for years with many different calibers and I never leave powder in them more than a day. I load 38-40 all the time and those thin bottle necks do take an extra care to get them right. ;)

Of the 50 loaded rounds, I pulled four bullets from the cases and measured the powder charge in each (wire cutters didn't appreciably damage the bullets, either).

Three were at 5.1 grains and one at 5.2 grains.

I'm feeling better about just going ahead and shooting these loads, though I did re-set the press to drop 4.6 grains of powder for the next batch.

Archived