SASS Wire Forum

Hornady lock n load ap

JP McLintock

I a effort to maximize my time at the reloading bench im trying to find a way to speed things up a bit, right now I'm sizing and depriming, then using a rcbs hand  primer and finishing up on a 3 hole lee turret, 

Does anyone use tbe lock n load ap, and how do you like it?

I know there's alot of dillion fans, but the Hornady will let me use the dies i already have

Thanks again

Aren't you actually trying to minimize your time at the loading bench? LOL

Yup.

I have two of them. I keep one set up for small pistol primers and one set up for large pistol primers. I load 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Special, 44 Russian, and 38-40 on one, 38 Special on the other. I mounted a Lyman Black Powder Measure on the one for large pistol primers, so I load those cartridges with Black Powder on the large pistol press.

pmWGsvbJj

I must be honest and tell you one of the reasons I went with the Hornady presses is because I got tired of all those guys saying "Go Blue"

When I looked into it I found that it is less expensive to go with the Hornady machine because you don't have to buy a separate tool head for each caliber. With the Blue brand, a separate tool head for each caliber is essential unless you want to spend time screwing dies into and out of the tool head every time you change calibers.

Instead, Hornady uses the Lock and Load collets. DIes are mounted into a separate collet, and then each die is set at the proper height while in the collet. To change calibers all you do is pop out the dies (mounted in their collets) and pop in a different set of dies, each mounted in their own collets. Buying extra collets was always less expensive than buying Blue brand tool heads. The other great thing about the Hornady system is the metering inserts for Smokeless loads are quick change too. You can keep several different ones, each one set for a specific powder charge, and pop them in or out of the powder measure as needed.

This photo shows some dies mounted in their quick change collets. The collets mount in the holes in the frame with a quick turn about 90 degrees or so. This is actually a shot of my press with the Black Powder Measure in place. The empty station shows what the hole in the press looks like, and the ram has raised a round loaded with Black Powder all the way up.

pmaLF0Tdj

These are the Smokeless inserts that go into the Smokeless powder measure. As you can see, I keep each one set for a specific charge of a specific powder. When I want to change powders, I pop in the appropriate insert. Its' been a long time now, but I seem to remember the powder measure that comes standard with the press is for rifle charges.

po0w5eoJj

I seem to recall I bought the Pistol Rotor for my presses because it is more precise for the smaller charges typically used in pistol ammo. If this link works, you should be able to see the Pistol Rotor at the bottom of the page.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/precision-measuring/powder-measures-and-accessories/lock-n-load-powder-measure

These days I actually do a lot more Black Powder reloading on my Hornady press than Smokeless.

Here is my Large Pistol press with the Lyman Black Powder measure mounted on it.

pngeA9iVj

I buy old Lyman powder measures at the white elephant table at gunshows and set the rotors for the charge of Back Powder I want.

pmRh8T8qj

Here is one of my interchangeable Lyman rotors mounted in the Lyman Black Powder Measure.

po3S8X4xj

But you are probably only interested in loading Smokeless. Absolutely, you will spend far less time on any progressive press loading ammo than what you describe you are doing now. You put an empty case in the first station, lower the handle to decap and resize, raise the handle to seat a primer, lower the handle again to dump powder, position a bullet, lower the handle again to seat, and crimp the bullet. I NEVER stop to clean primer pockets, I just keep pulling the handle until finished ammo pops out of the press.

Of course I take the time to weigh powder charges every once in a while for a sanity check.

Learning to run any progressive press involves getting used to the sequence it uses. I have been very happy with my Hornady presses for many years now.

13 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Aren't you actually trying to minimize your time at the loading bench? LOL

Something like that, its just a matter of perspective! :D

+1 for the Hornady. I've had mine for about two years now.  I load 45 colt, 45acp, 9mm,45 Schofield and 38-40 + 223 Remington.

Mine came with both rifle and pistol rotors.

The biggest additional expense are the shell plates at about 40-45 each. And it does not come with a shell plate, so that is an additional cost to add to the cost of the press

8 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

+1 for the Hornady. I've had mine for about two years now.  I load 45 colt, 45acp, 9mm,45 Schofield and 38-40 + 223 Remington.

Mine came with both rifle and pistol rotors.

The biggest additional expense are the shell plates at about 40-45 each. And it does not come with a shell plate, so that is an additional cost to add to the cost of the press

For what the dillion toolheads cost i should be able to get all the plates i need.

Is switching calibers as easy as it looks in the videos?

I've had one for 6-7 years and loaded 10's of thousands of rounds for us. Had two cowboy buddies come over and load their ammo on my press. They both bought one of their own. I also have the case feeder that works great. Definitely buy a RCBS lockout die for it and you are good to go. I crank out 300-500 in an hour with no sweat. Get some extra primer tubes. Only negative I ever found was they don't make a shell plate for 45 Schofield.

I have two of them and haven't had any desire to change. Takes me about 15 minutes to load a hundred rounds.

I've  loaded About 60,000 rounds on the one that's set up for small primer and about half that on the one set up for large primers.

I broke a pawl on the one press by forcing it on a primer that I didn't seat fully. Even though I told them several times i forced it causing it to break, Hornady refused to let me pay for the part. Haven't had to deal with their Customer Service to any degree, but what I have was great.

Just a tip, pull the shell plate once in a while to clean and lube under it per their instructions. If it gets finicky it probably has some crud under there.

38 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Yup.

I have two of them. I keep one set up for small pistol primers and one set up for large pistol primers. I load 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Special, 44 Russian, and 38-40 on one, 38 Special on the other. I mounted a Lyman Black Powder Measure on the one for large pistol primers, so I load those cartridges with Black Powder on the large pistol press.

pmWGsvbJj

I must be honest and tell you one of the reasons I went with the Hornady presses is because I got tired of all those guys saying "Go Blue"

When I looked into it I found that it is less expensive to go with the Hornady machine because you don't have to buy a separate tool head for each caliber. With the Blue brand, a separate tool head for each caliber is essential unless you want to spend time screwing dies into and out of the tool head every time you change calibers.

Instead, Hornady uses the Lock and Load collets. DIes are mounted into a separate collet, and then each die is set at the proper height while in the collet. To change calibers all you do is pop out the dies (mounted in their collets) and pop in a different set of dies, each mounted in their own collets. Buying extra collets was always less expensive than buying Blue brand tool heads. The other great thing about the Hornady system is the metering inserts for Smokeless loads are quick change too. You can keep several different ones, each one set for a specific powder charge, and pop them in or out of the powder measure as needed.

This photo shows some dies mounted in their quick change collets. The collets mount in the holes in the frame with a quick turn about 90 degrees or so. This is actually a shot of my press with the Black Powder Measure in place. The empty station shows what the hole in the press looks like, and the ram has raised a round loaded with Black Powder all the way up.

pmaLF0Tdj

These are the Smokeless inserts that go into the Smokeless powder measure. As you can see, I keep each one set for a specific charge of a specific powder. When I want to change powders, I pop in the appropriate insert. Its' been a long time now, but I seem to remember the powder measure that comes standard with the press is for rifle charges.

po0w5eoJj

I seem to recall I bought the Pistol Rotor for my presses because it is more precise for the smaller charges typically used in pistol ammo. If this link works, you should be able to see the Pistol Rotor at the bottom of the page.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/precision-measuring/powder-measures-and-accessories/lock-n-load-powder-measure

These days I actually do a lot more Black Powder reloading on my Hornady press than Smokeless.

Here is my Large Pistol press with the Lyman Black Powder measure mounted on it.

pngeA9iVj

I buy old Lyman powder measures at the white elephant table at gunshows and set the rotors for the charge of Back Powder I want.

pmRh8T8qj

Here is one of my interchangeable Lyman rotors mounted in the Lyman Black Powder Measure.

po3S8X4xj

But you are probably only interested in loading Smokeless. Absolutely, you will spend far less time on any progressive press loading ammo than what you describe you are doing now. You put an empty case in the first station, lower the handle to decap and resize, raise the handle to seat a primer, lower the handle again to dump powder, position a bullet, lower the handle again to seat, and crimp the bullet. I NEVER stop to clean primer pockets, I just keep pulling the handle until finished ammo pops out of the press.

Of course I take the time to weigh powder charges every once in a while for a sanity check.

Learning to run any progressive press involves getting used to the sequence it uses. I have been very happy with my Hornady presses for many years now.

Good to know they will load black,  my son seems to like that stuff.

5 minutes ago, Brazos Bo said:

I have two of them and haven't had any desire to change. Takes me about 15 minutes to load a hundred rounds.

I've  loaded About 60,000 rounds on the one that's set up for small primer and about half that on the one set up for large primers.

I broke a pawl on the one press by forcing it on a primer that I didn't seat fully. Even though I told them several times i forced it causing it to break, Hornady refused to let me pay for the part. Haven't had to deal with their Customer Service to any degree, but what I have was great.

Just a tip, pull the shell plate once in a while to clean and lube under it per their instructions. If it gets finicky it probably has some crud under there.

That shouldnt be to hard, i have 5 different calibers id liketo use it on.

13 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Only negative I ever found was they don't make a shell plate for 45 Schofield.

The shell plate I use for 45 Schofield has the number 41 on it.

Howdy Again

Let me add that I usually use Hornady dies on my press.

Although other brands of dies use the same thread, I have found in a couple of instances I could not adjust other brands enough in this press. Sorry, I cannot remember any specifics. I do know had to grind the dickens out of one of the dies in a RCBS 44 Mag/44 Special die set in order to lower it enough in the press to load 44 Russian.

Hornady does not make carbide dies, instead they coat the inside of the die with Titanium Nitride (TiN) if I recall correctly, which works just as well as carbide for straight cases. Tapered cases such as 44-40 I am still using my old RCBS dies and I spray a little bit of Hornady One Shot case lube on the cases before running them through the press. I am still using a RCBS carbide set of dies for 45 Colt in my Hornady press.

First, you should be able to use Hornady dies in a Dillon press.  

I chose the LNL-AP over the Dillon 650 in part because I liked its priming system and powder measure.  The current Dillon 750 has a different priming system.  The lower cost of cartridge changeover was definitely a factor.

If you add the cost of a casefeeder the price gap with the Dillon narrows.  The casefeeder is the “fiddliest” part of the Hornady setup.

Hornady cheaps out somewhat on metal finish.  Almost all steel parts are prone to rust.

Sixgun Seamus gave you good advice on the RCBS Lockout Die.  Get one.  Much better than the “Powder Cop”.

You will need extra LNL bushings.  The cheapest route used to be the conversion kit for the Rockchucker sold through Cabelas: it came with six bushings for $20.  That may since have changed.

Three final words:  Inline Fabrication Ultramount.

I've had mine since 2008 and like it just fine. Never had any issues once it was set up correctly. I can switch out shell plates and dies with no changes other than adjusting the powder measure height and charge throw which is easy to do. I highly recommend the Hornady AP.

I have been using one since 2013.  I don't have the case feeder or bullet feeder.  I couldn't justify the added cost since I only load around 3000 rounds a year.  It is easy to set up, easy to switch from large to small primer, easy to switch calibers.  It is also easy to keep it running properly.  The only function on the press that I find to be a pain in the butt to get adjusted is when you need to adjust the case activated powder drop/powder through expander plug for a different length case, like going from .45 acp to .38spl.  

3 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

I a effort to maximize my time at the reloading bench im trying to find a way to speed things up a bit, right now I'm sizing and depriming, then using a rcbs hand  primer and finishing up on a 3 hole lee turret, 

I know there's alot of dillion fans, but the Hornady will let me use the dies i already have

Thanks again

I think it's true that the Dillon Square Deal B requires its own dies, but the other models should accept most brands.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:53 AM, JP McLintock said:

Thanks again

I have an LnL AP with case feeder. I also use a basic bullet feeder station for 45 ACP. All I can say is that once you invest the time to get everything dialed in, you better run at least 500 rounds, or you won't have saved time IMO. Also ditch the hand prime, or the machine won't really be utilized. Without the case feeder you aren't far beyond your turret in output except you get one round per pull, once the shell plate is filled. Keep the turret for things you don't load a full box of bullets at a time. If you really want to run small batches for nonCAS ammo, save the turret for those, although you do need a 4-hole to move away from hand prime. You were using  two lever strokes to deprime and prime before, so you would save a stroke with the 4-hole, if you don't count the grunt stroke you need to seat a primer. I use the Lee prime setup on my turret and quickly got very proficient with it, once the gizmo was lined up properly.

I kind of fell into the Hornady thing because I could build up the system as money allowed, able to make a good start with the basic machine. If I could have jumped into a fully equipped Dillon rig, I would probably have done it. One thing to watch for is that you could buy a perfectly good Dillon 650 from someone itchin' to upgrade to the 750.

I also like the Hornady dies because of the seater die. It has a sliding collar that keeps the bullet aligned when seating. The collar also does the crimp. The nitride sizer can be used with or without lube but I use One Shot.

2 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

The shell plate I use for 45 Schofield has the number 41 on it.

I modified a 45 Colt plate. It wouldn't really hold the brass tight enough to prime so I hand primed all my Schofield's. (GiantPIA) I switched to C45S for pistols and don't load Schofield any more.

"Follow the Blue" is the sign of a sheep not a shepherd!  Where to sheep go?  To the wallet slaughter!

I have a Hornady and would definitely do it again.   Lifetime warrantee and fantastic real-time phone support based in the USA that speaks English you can understand!

Have one and have had nothing but good luck.  Back when I was looking, the lnl has a greater die capacity that the 550, so that meant 650 or 750.  For the cost difference, I couldn’t justify a blue one.  Also I change dies a lot so I have liked the quick change and not needing to change too plates.  I do 9mm, 380, 38 spl, 38 super, 44 spl, 445 sm, and 45 acp, that’s a lot of tool heads.  

6 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

Thanks again

I have a the LNL AP. It can be a bit of a learning curve but like you said I can use all the dies I already had. I like the bushings I bought a couple 10 packs. 

I do all my cowboy 38spl on my Square Deal B. It’s set up and doesn’t get messed with.

6 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

For what the dillion toolheads cost i should be able to get all the plates i need.

Is switching calibers as easy as it looks in the videos?

Switching calibers is as easy as removing one bolt for the shellplate, installing new plate, 1/2 turn flick to remove the dies, 1/2 turn to install new ones. Set powder measure for new powder and charge weight, good to go.

If you are going from small primers to large simply unscrew seater plug and replace, remove one screws to swap out tube and slider.

I have two, one with a case feeder, the other without. Love ‘em after 12 years of use. Product/tech support is awesome and equals everything Dillon owners brag about. I learned to load on a pard’s 550, but I much prefer the Hornady primer system. In 12 years of ownership, I’ve never had a primer go sideways or upside down. I also love the lock n load collets that make caliber changes a breeze. 

Also plus one to everything Driftwood said. 

13 hours ago, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

The only function on the press that I find to be a pain in the butt to get adjusted is when you need to adjust the case activated powder drop/powder through expander plug for a different length case, like going from .45 acp to .38spl.  

Instead of resetting your powder measure you can buy extra die bodies for each cartridge.  A huge time saver.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011037756

10 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Instead of resetting your powder measure you can buy extra die bodies for each cartridge.  A huge time saver.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011037756

Thanks for the suggestion.  Getting some extra die bodies is the solution that I used.  I was just trying to provide the OP with accurate and complete information about using this press.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:09 PM, Brazos Bo said:

That shouldnt be to hard, i have 5 different calibers id liketo use it on.

I have one that I only use for my .45LC loads in the rifle [ use schofield cases for pistol ]..been a great press with only minor issue of the primer feed otherwise no problems..I like the way the handle & indexing works & feels , very positive & smooth.

In saying that I am very happy with my Dillon SD's.

I load on two Dillon 650s.  One for Large primers and one for Small primers.  The Dillon safety features are absolutely "must haves" for me.  Wouldn't trade for anything.   GO BLUE!!

Archived