SASS Wire Forum

Range Report Ginex primers

Jack Spade

With the shortage of components we are going through right now it is shoot what you can get even though it may not be what you normally use.  I have seen the Ginex primers from one of my sources for very reasonable prices but you have to buy 10k minimum.  I didn't want to buy that many if I didn't know how they would work.  I was at a local gun show over the weekend and one vendor had the Ginex small pistol primers so I bought some to try out.  I loaded 100 rounds with my standard 38 special load of 3.0 grains of Clays and a 110 gr tcfp bullet. 

My pistols are Ruger Vaqueros that are short stroked and light sprung.  My rifle is a Uberti 1873 that is also short stroked and light sprung and is very picky about primers.  Will only shoot federals reliably.  I ran 40 rounds through my pistols and had no problems.  All fired, no primers backed out, worked great.  Fired 60 rounds through my rifle, again, no problems or fail to fire.  So in conclusion if you come across Ginex primers don't hesitate to buy them! 

These might fill the void of S&B primers that aren’t imported anymore. S&B were great primers and a bit cheaper than Winchester and a lot cheaper than Federal, but those were the old days and I doubt we’ll ever see primers at those prices again.

I went looking for some Unis Ginex SPP to a site called Trifusion they did not have the unis but did say that they had some Muron SPP.  It looks like they only take cripto currency so I think I will pass on sending any money to them.  This site has all the earmarks for a Scam.

I have been using Ginex primers in my auto pistols (9mm and 45acp) so SPP and LPP for the last couple months. Have worked very well. I have been able to get enough Federals, so not needed to use them in my cowboy guns yet.

36 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

I have been using Ginex primers in my auto pistols (9mm and 45acp) so SPP and LPP for the last couple months. Have worked very well. I have been able to get enough Federals, so not needed to use them in my cowboy guns yet.

Where are y'all finding these primers?

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

That's good to know! 

I wonder if anyone has tried the Servicios y Adventuras primers.  They seem to be easily obtainable and are going for $855 for 10,000.

Google results turn up high failure to fire rates, primers are too hard to set off (hence FTFs), and they're corrosive.

7 hours ago, Cemetery said:

Google results turn up high failure to fire rates, primers are too hard to set off (hence FTFs), and they're corrosive.

Not sure what primers you looked at but it says right on the package (picture below) non-corrosive, non-mercuric, contains no ingredients that will rust your barrel.   As for the high fail to fire rate I posted my results in the first post.  I bought 1000 so I will continue to test in my practice ammo and report back.   I bought these from Georgia Arms and they had cases of them on the table.  I have seen them much cheaper from online sources but you were required to buy large quantities.  

20220120_211357.jpg

14 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

Here is a pic of the primers.

20220120_075716.jpg

Our club supported the "Girl with a Gun" event last year (500 lady shooters in multiple disciplines). Since we all followed the "my gun, my ammo" philosophy in our cowboy guns, the event organizers gave us a bunch of these primers for our efforts. Tried some in 9mm glock and all went bang. 0 FTF and no more dirty than the federals I usually use. still have about 600 and if needed would use without reservation.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

Not sure what primers you looked at but it says right on the package (picture below) non-corrosive, non-mercuric, contains no ingredients that will rust your barrel.   As for the high fail to fire rate I posted my results in the first post.  I bought 1000 so I will continue to test in my practice ammo and report back.   I bought these from Georgia Arms and they had cases of them on the table.  I have seen them much cheaper from online sources but you were required to buy large quantities.  

20220120_211357.jpg

Not those!  He was referring to the comment on the availability of Servicios y Adventuras primers...

39 minutes ago, Lassy LaRock said:

From this primers is 2 times the Shell Plate Carrier from my Lee Pro 1000 broken.

Very hard to sead.

No good recall.

Sorry but I couldn't quite understand what you are trying to say.

I did a little looking on the internet and any complaints I found about these primers are from 2015 and older.  I started seeing reviews of them starting again in 2019 and newer and no newer reviews said anything about any problems.

14 hours ago, Big Rock, SASS #44055 said:

Where in Clarksville?

Tennessee Gun Country on 41A. They have Federals right now, but have had Ginex off and on last 6 months or so.

15 hours ago, Big Rock, SASS #44055 said:

Where in Clarksville?

I don't know, but think the "last train" goes there.:D

Archived