SASS Wire Forum

Never eaten cornbread

Buckshot Bear

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cornbeard. 

Go to Cracker Barrel and get it wirh your meal. The choice is biscuits,  or corn bread. If you ask, you can get grilled sourdough bread. All are good with real butter and honey 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:26 AM, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

No sugar for me at meal time. But later that night, cornbread in a glass with some milk and a spoon full of sugar is hard to beat. :-)

My Daddy did that all the time.

8 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Now he’ll try vegemite.

:wacko:

29 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Now he’ll try vegemite.

Here ya go... and comes with a GOP spoon!  ^_^

Vegemite   :lol:

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Bless your heart!

If you don't tell nobody,  the I promise I won't. :P

I also eat peanut butter on hotdogs.

Good on raw cabbage too.

But best on hot cornbread.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Ornery Cuss, SASS # 76071 said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned cracklins to put in the mix before baking. Important: no sugar, no flour, cast iron frying pan, 450' oven. If there's no sizzle when you pour the mixture in the pan it wasn't hot enough. Also, no one mentioned 'next day' cornbread (I always make extra just for the purpose) put into a bowl and covered with buttermilk, adding a dash of salt. If you haven't tried it don't criticize. Cracklins are hard to find, but Publix often has them. Just prepare the mixture and throw a handful of cracklins in and stir. Yikes!!

I agree with everything but the temp.  I cook cornbread at 500 for around 15 minutes- time depends on how thick I make the batter (some in the family like it thinner thsn others).  Thicker batter rises more and takes a little longer.

I have a cast iron skillet that only cooks cornbread and it's older than I am. 

I went to the Lodge outlet up near Cartersville and bought another #10 cast iron skillet so folks would quit cooking in my cornbread skillet.  Wanna fry some eggs or make gravy?  Fine- but you best use the cast iron skillet with the longer handle- not the older one with the short handle.

TK's EZ Green Chile Corn bread 

-1 box of corn bread mix ( I use Krusteaze honey corn bread mix 15oz)
 Disregard the directions other than the oven temp 375° and @ cook time @ 35 min or so.

- 1 (14-15oz) can creme corn 
- 1 can sweet corn w/juice
- 4 or 5 good size Anaheim or Pasilla green Chile's
- 8 oz cheddar cheese
-2 eggs 
- 1 dash baking powder

Roast the Chile's in the oven until they blister, place in wet dish towel
Let set @10 minutes then peel off the skin and remove as many seeds as possible. 

In a bowl dump the corn bread mix
Both cans of corn with the juice
2 eggs and baking powder mix thoroughly. Cut up the chilies into small peices mix in.
Cut the cheddar into 1/2" cubes and mix in.

I bake mine in a 14" cast iron skillet,
But you can use a regular baking pan baking time will vary.
I coat my skillet with oil (or bacon grease if the Wife isn't looking) dump in the mixture and bake until the top is mostly golden brown.
Let cool slightly and enjoy.

29 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

That'll get 'er done.  Looks like they are using milk and sour cream as a substitute for buttermilk.  Personally I'd cut back on the sugar.

ADDED:

I've used milk and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream in place of buttermilk and it works fine.

Should be eaten hot with pure butter. Honey is ok if you do a piece with butter on first. Margarine is a no-no, any purveyor suggesting that should be flogged.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That'll get 'er done.  Looks like they are using milk and sour cream as a substitute for buttermilk.  Personally I'd cut back on the sugar.

ADDED:

I've used milk and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream in place of buttermilk and it works fine.

Easy to make your own buttermilk.

Hmmm…..I think I’ll make biscuits this morning. :wub:

UB:

"Easy to make your own buttermilk"

I well remember helping various family members make buttermilk as a child, but must admit I never made it since and wouldn't know how to do so now. Can you go through that process for us? I might want to do that now just for the fun of it.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Ornery Cuss, SASS # 76071 said:

Also, no one mentioned 'next day' cornbread (I always make extra just for the purpose) put into a bowl and covered with buttermilk, adding a dash of salt. If you haven't tried it don't criticize.

That was a favorite of my dad. I don't recall the salt, but that doesn't mean he didn't add it. I've tried it before, and was strictly ambivalent about it. I could take it or leave it.

1 hour ago, Ornery Cuss, SASS # 76071 said:

UB:

"Easy to make your own buttermilk"

I well remember helping various family members make buttermilk as a child, but must admit I never made it since and wouldn't know how to do so now. Can you go through that process for us? I might want to do that now just for the fun of it.

To a cup of milk add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar.  Let it sit for about five minutes.

I usually use cider vinegar, but have used plain white vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar.

More of a substitute for buttermilk rather than actual buttermilk.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

To a cup of milk add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar.  Let it sit for about five minutes.

I usually use cider vinegar, but have used plain white vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar.

More of a substitute for buttermilk rather than actual buttermilk.

Yup. It’ll do in a pinch. I call it EB, Emergency Buttermilk. ;)

Thanks guys. Makes sense, though I have never tried it. However, the recipe we use calls for buttermilk, or if not on hand, add one tablespoon vinegar to the milk, so I will try the 'emergency' buttermilk with my bowl of cornbread. In fact, getting hungry.....

Many years ago we took a family vacation down the Mississippi to New Orleans.  We stopped several places along the way.  We staid overnight in Natchez Mississippi.  We eat supper at a place called Under the Hill.  It was in the old warehouse dock area.  When you got seated, they came with a sheet of brown wrapping paper. Placing the paper on the table,  they would dump out hot baked cornbread from a pie segmented cast iron skillet.  Gowd! It was good!

3 hours ago, Ornery Cuss, SASS # 76071 said:

Thanks guys. Makes sense, though I have never tried it. However, the recipe we use calls for buttermilk, or if not on hand, add one tablespoon vinegar to the milk, so I will try the 'emergency' buttermilk with my bowl of cornbread. In fact, getting hungry.....

I've never tried drinking it, I just use it as an ingredient.   

The only way I can handle buttermilk is in biscuits or cornbread.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

You may have to surrender your membership card and face deportation to the Northeast.

JHC :P

Nope!!!  I eat grits and drink iced tea SWEET!!  Y' kain't get a decent helpin' of neither one of them nor fit ta' eat country ham in yankee land!!!  :o :lol:

Archived