SASS Wire Forum

Never eaten cornbread

Buckshot Bear

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Cholla said:

My wife uses Jiffy mix and adds sugar and sometimes jalapenos. I weigh 60 pounds more now than I did when I met her so her cooking must be good.

Jiffy mix is a pretty good thing. I will use it if I’m pressed for time. 

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

................ buncha killjoys .....   <_<

:P

Nope. Traditionalists is all. ;)

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

On the subject of pancakes, how did the tupelo honey go with them? You said you was going to try it, but no after action report.

Fantastic!   Also on waffles,in coffee, on cornbread.  In fact, I just tried making cornbread using some almond flour in place of some of the AP flour and put tupelo honey on a piece and it was delicious.

My wife likes honey butter and used it for that.

Good stuff, Maynard.

Now that's a paste, right? Something like the consistency of peanut butter?

So make you up some cornbread, and spread some of your Vegemite on it. Let us know.

51 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Vegemite has not been mentioned once, ......... most disappointing  :(

Vegemite is an unusual product in USA. Let’s call it ‘gourmet’. Most of us have much more plebeian taste and are not likely to go to the gourmet aisle in the supermarket.

Tradition depends on where you come from. For those who think sugar doesn't belong in cornbread, you realize pretty much ALL bread contains sugar, it helps feed the yeast so it will rise. But then, i like beans in my chile, also. :)  Goes with my cornbread.

11 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Tradition depends on where you come from. For those who think sugar doesn't belong in cornbread, you realize pretty much ALL bread contains sugar, it helps feed the yeast so it will rise. But then, i like beans in my chile, also. :)  Goes with my cornbread.

Cornbread isn't a yeast bread.  And you can make bread without added sugar, the yeasty beasties will do fine on the sugar in flour.  

8 hours ago, Cholla said:

My wife uses Jiffy mix and adds sugar and sometimes jalapenos. I weigh 60 pounds more now than I did when I met her so her cooking must be good.

I'll second the Jiffy mix.  Don't know about the sugar or not.  My Mrs. is in charge.  I too am a bit heavier than I was when I got married 42 years ago.  In addition to honey on cornbread, maple surple is goooood as well.  Not that artificial pancake corn syrup but the real maple syrup.

Some make theirs with canned corn added to it.  You can keep that.  That isn't how momma made it.

I gotta laugh when a subject like this comes up in here and folks start telling other folks that have no experience with something what they should like or not like. :lol:

@Buckshot Bear go on Amazon and search “cornbread mix”. You should find a few different ones. Buy one or two and give them a try. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I gotta laugh when a subject like this comes up in here and folks start telling other folks that have no experience with something what they should like or not like. :lol:

@Buckshot Bear go on Amazon and search “cornbread mix”. You should find a few different ones. Buy one or two and give them a try. 

Funny you just typed that.......its Friday 10.30am and Jenorado and I are just getting the wagon ready to go into town and I just said we may need to pump the brakes on making cornbread because my head is spinning :) :) :) :) 

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

One time early in our relationship I asked Lisa to make some cornmeal pancakes.   She told me that they were done and I was all eager.  

I looked at the platter.  "What are these?" I asked, looking at a plate full of what looked like ordinary pancakes.   She had made regular pancakes with a can of corn and a can of creamed corn added.

I was raised referring to them as hoe cakes.

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Vegemite has not been mentioned once, ......... most disappointing  :(

Come on, Wallaby, you can tell us the truth.

Aussies really don't like Vegemite.

What happened is, they was told that it was associated with brewing beer- and all they heard was the 'beer' part. 

Since Aussies do like beer, they started eating the stuff and can't stop now because none of you wants to be the first to admit that it's nasty tasting.

No cornmeal in cornbread! 
No egg in cornbread! 
No gluten!

No butter!

No sugar. 
No salt!

Definitely no Vegemite! 
:lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Funny you just typed that.......its Friday 10.30am and Jenorado and I are just getting the wagon ready to go into town and I just said we may need to pump the brakes on making cornbread because my head is spinning :) :) :) :) 

Just get a Basic Cornbread recipe. The basic ones are all,pretty much the same. I have to adjust mine a bit because of the altitude.

The Jiffy makes really good corn muffins, too sweet to be real cornbread, but an easy way to try it out.

I have had blue cornbread down on the Navajo Rez. And pancakes. :wub:

To be honest, I do not like cornbread. Ate a LOT of it as a kid. We were poor. Times were rough. Not good memories. The sense of smell is a fantastic memory trigger. 

Anyway, those little Jiffy Corn Muffins are tolerable to me. I guess it’s because they’re sweet. 

My recipe is right next to the little quaker guy. Cupa cupa cornmeal and flour. Salt sugar clabber girl egg bacon grease and wet it. When I was a kid it was water I grew up and read the recipe it says milk. I can afford milk don't forget to grease the pan.

You can add molasses instead of sugar. 

For a quick meal make Mexican seasoned meat add corn green beans peppers and such like for a burrito. 

Pour half your cornbread mix into the pan then put the meat mix spread on that. Add cheese if you want.  Pour the rest of your corn meal batter on top spread it to cover and bake.

It's good. 

12 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Wife buys store mixes. By the time you get a piece buttered it's a pile of crumbs. Any secret to making it so it sticks together?

More flour than meal makes the cornbread more like wheat bread.  And put a pat of butter on the surface of hot, freshly cut cornbread, and let it melt instead of trying to spread.  

46 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

More flour than meal makes the cornbread more like wheat bread.  And put a pat of butter on the surface of hot, freshly cut cornbread, and let it melt instead of trying to spread.  

We slice it open, put the butter inside and close.  You know you're using enough butter when it's dripping off of your hand.

Cornbread is made with buttermilk.  Don't know where ya'll got this sweet milk fascination, but don't go ruining my cornbread with it!

I've never been one for any of the packages of mix. It's too easy to make from scratch.  

In general I use about 2:1 cornmeal to AP flour. Sometimes I'll want a "dessert cornbread" and I'll invert those and add maybe a quarter cup of sugar. When it comes out cut a wedge, split it, slather with butter and add jam or honey or molasses.

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No cornmeal in cornbread! 
No egg in cornbread! 
No gluten!

No butter!

No sugar. 
No salt!

Definitely no Vegemite! 
:lol::lol:

.... so, ...... obviously this is not fit for human consumption ....   -_-

On 1/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I'm a Southern boy what don't like cornbread!!  Never liked it and I don't see that changing.  I DO like cornbread dressing!!  Schoolmarm makes it with Jiffy mix and I really like that!!

Hatfield makes a cornmeal recipe that looks like cornbread but tastes like cake.  I like that!  Plain old cornbread just don't make it!!!

You may have to surrender your membership card and face deportation to the Northeast.

JHC :P

Archived