SASS Wire Forum

Never eaten cornbread

Buckshot Bear

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butter, or sometimes pour some honey on it.

Some would argue that this is actually a "corn cake."

But try it... it's quite good!  ^_^

WORLD'S  GREATEST  CORNBREAD

1 C yellow cornmeal

1 C all purpose flour

pinch salt

1/2 C butter or margarine

2/3 C sugar

2 eggs

1 C buttermilk

1/2 t baking soda

Mix dry cornmeal, flour, and salt and set aside.

Melt butter, remove from heat, stir in sugar.  Beat in eggs.

Add baking soda to buttermilk, then stir into butter mixture.

Fold in dry ingredients, stir only for coarse consistency.

Pour into well greased pan, bake at 375 f (190 c) for 30 minutes.

24 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Some would argue that this is actually a "corn cake."

But try it... it's quite good!  ^_^

WORLD'S  GREATEST  CORNBREAD

1 C yellow cornmeal

1 C all purpose flour

pinch salt

1/2 C butter or margarine

2/3 C sugar

2 eggs

1 C buttermilk

1/2 t baking soda

Mix dry cornmeal, flour, and salt and set aside.

Melt butter, remove from heat, stir in sugar.  Beat in eggs.

Add baking soda to buttermilk, then stir into butter mixture.

Fold in dry ingredients, stir only for coarse consistency.

Pour into well greased pan, bake at 375 f (190 c) for 30 minutes.

Thank you ! We're going into town tomorrow and will buy the makings :)

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Some would have cornbread without sugar.

Indeed.  That's why I noted that some would call this corn "cake."

I've had it both ways... it's all good, but this has been my favorite.  Folks I know who've had this recipe and the well-known Marie Callender restaurant's cornbread say they're similar, and this one might have the edge.  :) 

Like Forty sez... butter and some honey and it's wonderful.  Or crumble into a bowl o' beans.  

Plus, it's real easy.  ^_^

Here's the recipe that my sister sent me some time back. It is her best approximation of what our mom made. It's pretty much the same as I've had in a number of homes in Eastern Kentucky and made by people from Appalachia.

Cornbread Recipe

Secrets:  The key "ingredient" to successful cornbread is a well-seasoned iron skillet. Keep skillet blazing hot with a little extra melted shortening to get that wonderful golden crisp crust. Of course, don't let the shortening smoke and burn. I always start by having the dry ingredients measured and the liquid ingredients ready to go.

4 tbs vegetable shortening

2 cups self-rising white corn meal mix

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Heat shortening in skillet and tilt to coat the skillet. Mix dry ingredients. Add milk and egg; mix until blended. Add melted shortening; mix well.  Pour into hot skillet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Turn out quickly onto a heat-proof plate.

I sprinkle just a bit of cornmeal in the skillet before pouring the mixed ingredients into the skillet.

I like it as a side with chili among other things, but will butter it as well. 

I'm in the 'no sugar in cornbread' group, but do like the cake version as well.

Couple of points

-- ALWAYS preheat the skillet you're baking it in (you ain't about to bake it in a PAN, are you?)

- Don't overmix the wet and dry ingredients -- stir 'em up just enough to make sure it's mixed and not a single stroke beyond

Couple of mods:

- drain some canned corn, spread it on a baking sheet and let it parch in the oven while it's preheating, then stir it into the dry ingredients before mixing the wet and dry

- crunch up some Fritos and sprinkle them on top before it goes in the oven

As far as how to eat it, I'm partial to butter and dark cane syrup

48 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Secrets:  The key "ingredient" to successful cornbread is a well-seasoned iron skillet. Keep skillet blazing hot with a little extra melted shortening to get that wonderful golden crisp crust.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Heat shortening in skillet and tilt to coat the skillet. 

Here you have the key things.  Hot pan, hot oven, hot fat.

Here is one I put together when someone made the mistake of asking for the recipe for a dish I threw together for a reenactment.:

Set a slightly smaller dutch oven (10") on top of that to start heating up, throw some chopped bacon into that one.

Have the lid for the 2nd oven sitting on something clean and put some coals on top of it so it will get hot. While it is heating take about 3 cups of cornmeal, one cup of flour, some salt, a little baking powder, a little baking soda, and mix them together. Add one beaten egg and about 2 cups of buttermilk - if you don't have buttermilk you can use 2 cups regular milk clabbered with about 2 or 3 Tbs of cider vinegar. Mix this up into a batter. Make sure that the bacon in the 2nd oven has rendered out a lot of the fat (you don't HAVE to use bacon, you can use Crisco, butter, oil, but you need some

hot fat).

Swirl the oven so the grease coats the bottom and at least an inch up the sides. Pour in the

batter and put the lid on.

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

-- ALWAYS preheat the skillet you're baking it in (you ain't about to bake it in a PAN, are you?)

One of my prized possessions that my mom gave me is my iron skillet. She gave it to me for cornbread and gravy. I’m still working on getting the gravy right. I’ve never even attempted biscuits like hers

My wife uses Jiffy mix and adds sugar and sometimes jalapenos. I weigh 60 pounds more now than I did when I met her so her cooking must be good.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

Here's the recipe that my sister sent me some time back. It is her best approximation of what our mom made. It's pretty much the same as I've had in a number of homes in Eastern Kentucky and made by people from Appalachia.

I sprinkle just a bit of cornmeal in the skillet before pouring the mixed ingredients into the skillet.

I like it as a side with chili among other things, but will butter it as well. 

I put the oil in first thing put the skillet on the stove over low heat while I mix the ingredients.  Cornbread turns out better when cooked in a hot pan.

34 minutes ago, Cholla said:

My wife uses Jiffy mix and adds sugar and sometimes jalapenos. I weigh 60 pounds more now than I did when I met her so her cooking must be good.

We use Jiffy most the time.

Don't add sugar to it as we find Jiffy to be sweet enough.

Had some last night. Normally have it about every other week or so. 

It's even good to mix up in a bowl of beef stew. 

But most times I just put a little butter on it and have at it.  

My wife is from Louisiana and I am from Kansas City.  I learned early on what I thought was delicious soft and cakey corn bread I had enjoyed my whole life was really Yankee Bread and not cornbread.  Its made for an interesting debate over the years. 

1 hour ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

We use Jiffy most the time.

Don't add sugar to it as we find Jiffy to be sweet enough.

Had some last night. Normally have it about every other week or so. 

It's even good to mix up in a bowl of beef stew. 

But most times I just put a little butter on it and have at it.  

Jiffy Corn Meal Muffin mix is not the best I ever ate, but it's close and it's really easy.

I use real butter (haven't had margarine in my house in dang near forever) and like it with plain old clover honey.....or just butter is good, too.

I make it up in a pyrex loaf pan that I got from my mother (who might have gotten it from George Washington) and grease it lightly with Crisco.  It's the only reason I have any Crisco at all.

Now, that being said, you can put it on a plate with almost any meat, most veggies, desserts, and what ever else you want and it goes with almost anything you can imagine.  Try it with fresh caught pan fried trout, butter corn, cranberry delight salad, and good coffee and you'll know what God eats a few times a week.  You don't believe me? Ask Him yourself.

Here’s the recipe I use:

preheat oven to 400.

A tablespoon of oil in a cast iron skillet, then put skillet in oven to preheat.

1 1/4 cup flour

3/4 cup cornmeal

a bit of sugar, recipe calls for 1/4 cup, I don’t use that much.

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cackle berry (egg)

bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

As you see, there are 2 schools of thought on sugar. Cornbread with beans does NOT get sugar, that goes in the iced tea. Corncake, with sugar, is a great dessert or side treat, but does not go in with beans or [most] chili. Both can be delicious in the right use!

I'm a Southern boy what don't like cornbread!!  Never liked it and I don't see that changing.  I DO like cornbread dressing!!  Schoolmarm makes it with Jiffy mix and I really like that!!

Hatfield makes a cornmeal recipe that looks like cornbread but tastes like cake.  I like that!  Plain old cornbread just don't make it!!!

12 hours ago, MizPete said:

Zero sugar in cornbread.  That is all.

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Some would have cornbread without sugar.

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Sugar does NOT belong in cornbread.

6 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

NO sugar in cornbread.  

Write that down, and underline it twice.  Wouldn't hurt to circle it, too.

................ buncha killjoys .....   <_<

:P

7 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

................ buncha killjoys .....   <_<

:P

No joy to kill in cornbread with sugar in it.  If you want cake, eat cake. :) 

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Cornbread.jpeg.a0190b06c21edddb2d2dd34c30666111.jpeg

One time early in our relationship I asked Lisa to make some cornmeal pancakes.   She told me that they were done and I was all eager.  

I looked at the platter.  "What are these?" I asked, looking at a plate full of what looked like ordinary pancakes.   She had made regular pancakes with a can of corn and a can of creamed corn added.

Can't believe no one has mentioned cracklins to put in the mix before baking. Important: no sugar, no flour, cast iron frying pan, 450' oven. If there's no sizzle when you pour the mixture in the pan it wasn't hot enough. Also, no one mentioned 'next day' cornbread (I always make extra just for the purpose) put into a bowl and covered with buttermilk, adding a dash of salt. If you haven't tried it don't criticize. Cracklins are hard to find, but Publix often has them. Just prepare the mixture and throw a handful of cracklins in and stir. Yikes!!

27 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

One time early in our relationship I asked Lisa to make some cornmeal pancakes.   She told me that they were done and I was all eager.  

I looked at the platter.  "What are these?" I asked, looking at a plate full of what looked like ordinary pancakes.   She had made regular pancakes with a can of corn and a can of creamed corn added.

On the subject of pancakes, how did the tupelo honey go with them? You said you was going to try it, but no after action report.

Archived