SASS Wire Forum

Prices for CAS guns and gear in Australia

Buckshot Bear

Actually when you factor in the Australian dollar to U.S. dollar conversion rate the prices are higher than the U.S. but not that much higher.  I thought it would be worse.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Actually when you factor in the Australian dollar to U.S. dollar conversion rate the prices are higher than the U.S. but not that much higher.  I thought it would be worse.

Thanks Larson, that's really interesting to know mate appreciated.

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

so what do you have to do, legally, to own two SSA, lever rifle and shotgun?

thought Australia has super-tight restrictions

and while we're on this, where do you store them?

Longarms just apply for a licence.

Handguns you need to be a member of a pistol club (there's 1000's and 1000's of clubs)

Shooting is a major growth sport in Australia,

Don't believe everything you read on Fox News, some of the comments I read there about Australia I don't know how they even dream up the crap they make up.

I know a lot of people and most of the people I know own a firearm.

Firearms when not being used or cleaned need to be stored at home in a gun safe, the same rules that a lot of the States in US ask of gun owners so kids and people who shouldn't have access don't get a hold of 'em.

Just to clear something up that may need to be cleared up -

Just for your interest, here's a selection and prices from just one gun dealer for CAS guns and gear in Australia -

That's the line in my opening post......let me clarify it doesn't mean that there's only ONE GUN DEALER selling CAS gear in Australia it was a sample

of what's available and the prices from just ONE GUN SHOP in Australia......there's thousands and thousands of gun shops in Australia and thousands

and thousands of private licenced gun dealers in Australia. You can also mail order for pistols and rifles to be sent through the mail to your licenced gun dealer.

33 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

some of the comments I read there about Australia I don't know how they even dream up the crap they make up.

I know a lot of people and most of the people I know own a firearm.

Firearms when not being used or cleaned need to be stored at home in a gun safe, the same rules that a lot of the States in US ask of gun owners so kids and people who shouldn't have access don't get a hold of 'em.

Thanks, we in the US only hear the worst on the news outlets, some biased for gun ownership but most virulently anti-gun. It's nice to hear the facts from a fellow gun owner who lives there.

The complete set, 2 pistols, rifle, both in 44-40 and a 12 ga double are a good deal for A$ 4,895 (US $ 3,550 appx.).  Hand gun prices seem to be around 30+% over U.S. prices.  Rifles, at US $1,700-1,800 are a few hundred over U.S. prices.  Not that bad.

23 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Thanks, we in the US only hear the worst on the news outlets, some biased for gun ownership but most virulently anti-gun. It's nice to hear the facts from a fellow gun owner who lives there.

Thanks Deacon, in no way do we have the freedoms that you guys have with CCW etc etc etc but I can shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns all day everyday on the range (could at night but we don't have spotlights lighting up the range, but there are indoor ranges in the big smoke cities). And I can go hunting 365 days and nights a year (can't use a pistol for hunting in my state of NSW). I can get on a plane with guns and ammo (packed) and fly to any other Australian State to hunt or compete in a match. I can put my rifles, pistols and shotguns in my car and drive around the whole of Australia hunting or competing. Guys I know have collections of hundreds of rifles and hundreds of pistols.....I ain't that rich but I do have the need for 3 safes now to fit the growing number.

You do need a special licence category for self loading rifles since the Port Arthur massacre which is something that should be overturned but I doubt it ever will be. And in my State magazines for auto pistols are limited to 10.

Since the buy back after that massacre there is (from different govt sources) now more guns in the hands of licenced shooters than ever before in history so it didn't work out like the federal govt thought it would. There's be a massive wave in gun sales and a massive uptake in people applying for gun licences.

As Buckshot Bear says the stats show possibly more firearms in the hands of licensed shooters here  NOW than before the TWO "Buy backs".  During the first of those... lets call it the "Long gun buyback" there were even Government sponsored billboards showing (say) a Browning A5 with the caption "Hand this in, and buy THIS" with a photo of fancy fishing gear or some other non-firearm toy....    We laughed and agreed the billboards SHOULD actually have shown the A5...alongside the new lever action rifle, and the SXS shotgun...and the 1911  that were ACTUALLY bought with the proceeds of the "buy back". 

I know every cent I was paid for various newly restricted guns (plus quite a bit more..) went on OTHER guns.  Everyone I know did pretty much the same...  To reduce complaints in fact the valuations on the guns "bought back" were in most cases more than a little generous.  I certainly received more than I'd paid for things like a  Remington 742...   

Were we happy about it?  Hell no... but with no Constitutional guarantees ....with the only valid reasons for ownership (by law) being Target shooting or Hunting... it was a done deal.   Both of our major political parties were onboard.     

As far as shooting goes... At my home club I shoot 2 IPSC matches per week.... and a bit of Wild Bunch once a month.  That club hosts a HUGE number of shooting disciplines... from Air Pistol and Rifle right through to Big Game Rifle.   Pistol and Rifle Silhouette. Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette. "Field Rifle"  Military Rifle (in our case of course Bolt Actions) . Cowboy Action (natch). Benchrest.  Precision Rifle. And then of course a whole plethora of UIT/ISSF  type Pistol matches... (you know..the boring ones)  lol.    So yes..there ARE guns the average joe here can not own.. (:angry:).. but there are a great many we can...and do.

Yes, like @Constable Nelson #11784Constable Nelson says above we were able to turn clunkers into big $$$ and spend it all on new guns and reloading gear etc etc, it was a heady time for Aussie gunshops!

And because of all the sales and refreshing of peoples interests in hunting and competition shooting guns sales are still going well and licenced shooter numbers are increasing every year and with younger generations as well which is great to see.

Also interesting to note and this is just one type of gun, that there were approximately 450,000 odd SKS guns imported into Australia and sold. I remember a time when gunshops were selling them for (if memory serves me) $150 with mulitple mags and 1000 rounds or more of ammo to move them out the door. I've read (again from govt sources) that when they were banned only around 30,000 were handed in.......so there's around 420,000 just SKS's alone out there somewhere's and all unregistered sleepers!

Archived