SASS Wire Forum

"OfferUp" - Anyone Have Experience With Them?

Calamity Kris

I found a pair of shoes that are hard to come by on "OfferUp".  {It appears to be similar to EPrey, only it's supposed to connect buyers and sellers who are in the same vicinity, with the seller offering to hand deliver the purchased items.}  I chatted with the seller and she seemed real enough so I purchased the shoes.  She said she would put them in the mail as soon as my payment processed.  Great.  I should have them by next week.  

WWWeeeeelllllllll, I get home from work today to find out my account with "OfferUp" has been suspended because I "violated their community guidelines".   What????  First time on the site, chatted with the seller to make sure she was legit and purchased a pair of shoes.  I can't imagine what I could have done to violate any guidelines.  They stated in their note that if I had a pending transaction to contact them.  I did and explained that I'm a mature adult wanting to purchase a pair of shoes.  If they let me buy the shoes, I will promise to never use their site again.  

Any thoughts from our esteemed group?

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What are the reviews on that site?

OLG 

Pretty highly rated.  I can't see much now since I've been banned but I wouldn't have attempted to shop with them if I had the slightest indication they were fraudulent.  The seller has been with them since 2018 and she was highly rated as well.

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bet the seller filed a complaint against you 

OLG 

I don't think so.  The buying/selling platform is much like a chat room.  I chatted with the seller to come to an agreed upon price.  I asked her how I was supposed to pay for the shoes, since I've never been on the site before.  She said click on the link at the bottom that said purchase now and I did.  Gave them my CC info and it was completed.  Right at that point, a notice popped up in the chat window so we both could see, my CC transaction had been held and would be under review.  I assumed it was because that was my first purchase on the site.  The seller said not to worry, she would send the shoes as soon as my transaction went through.  It appears as though the transaction goes through the platform, not the seller.  I just checked my CC.  The transaction from Offer Up went through last night, and they refunded it this morning........

I just googled 'em to check reviews.  Not so good....   :huh:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/offerup.com

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/offerup.com

17 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I just googled 'em to check reviews.  Not so good....   :huh:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/offerup.com

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/offerup.com

WOW!!  Thanks.  I'll let my brother know.  He uses them too.

I would bet somebody offered her a better price so she cancelled your transaction with a complaint and went with the person offering more $$$$$.

I could be wrong but nothing surprises any more. I made a deal with a guy for my 4 wheeler and agreed on a price of $800.00 and he drove 1.5 hours to see it and purchase it. Once he was here, he drove it around for about a half hour and the told me he would only give $650.00 because it was an older model and thought I was too high on the price. I told him no and the he started in about how far he drove and that i should sell it to at his price and it was not worth what I was asking for it and the blue book online showed it had a lower value. I told him he knew the price and if he was not going to give me what i asked for it that he could leave now as he was wasting me time. He started to complain and I made it clear it was time for him to leave. I watch him until he got done the road a mile of so before I locked the building and went in the house. He knew when he decided to come over that he was going to low ball me and he told me he only had $650 with him. You make a deal and some people will just mess with you.

I've dealt with "Offer Up" locally, but have only paid cash upon face to face meetings. The biggest complaint I have is with the sellers. 

They put an item on there, and when I ask about it, (through the "Ask the seller" feature), I get no response. Or I have a conversation with the seller, agree upon a price, and when making arrangements to meet, get ghosted.

I've had better luck on Craigslist.

Used it many times and have the Ap installed.  I buy only local or face to face, and only deal with people that have selling “stars” or reputations that are good and have zero problems.  Have bought and sold, but never done any transactions over distance.

Never had any compliance problems with them so can’t report on that.  To me it’s handy to pick up deals on people moving etc…got a 2,500 desk for 180 bucks because guy couldn’t sell and had to be out of house the next day.  I have to pay a lot here to take stuff to junk, so if I can sell or give away big bulky stuff I win :)

I received a response to my appeal of their ban today.  I am officially banned.  Oh well.  Their loss.  I do wish I could get my hands on those shoes.  They are very hard to come by and highly recommended by Podiatrists and Orthopedists.

11 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I received a response to my appeal of their ban today.  I am officially banned.  Oh well.  Their loss.  I do wish I could get my hands on those shoes.  They are very hard to come by and highly recommended by Podiatrists and Orthopedists.

Well, Kris... did they tell ya why you're banned?  Or is it a "double secret probation" kinda thing?  :huh:

48 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well, Kris... did they tell ya why you're banned?  Or is it a "double secret probation" kinda thing?  :huh:

Their note:

OfferUp Support (OfferUp Support)

Jan 20, 2022, 3:10 PM PST

Hi,

Your account has been removed from OfferUp due to violations of our Community Guidelines and Posting Rules.

OfferUp reserves the right to remove items or profiles at its own discretion with or without previous warning or education efforts.

Any pending offers have been canceled and funds released back to the method of payment. It may take up to 10 days for pending authorizations to disappear or for refunds to fully process. If it has been longer than 10 days, please reach out to your financial institution.

Please be aware that opening a new account once your account has been removed is not allowed.

Thank you,

OfferUp Support

When I click on their links above, it takes me to their site, which I'm banned so I receive an "access denied" notice.  So, I can't read about what I might have done to receive their ire.  Oh well........

5 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Their note:

OfferUp Support (OfferUp Support)

Jan 20, 2022, 3:10 PM PST

Hi,

Your account has been removed from OfferUp due to violations of our Community Guidelines and Posting Rules.

OfferUp reserves the right to remove items or profiles at its own discretion with or without previous warning or education efforts.

Any pending offers have been canceled and funds released back to the method of payment. It may take up to 10 days for pending authorizations to disappear or for refunds to fully process. If it has been longer than 10 days, please reach out to your financial institution.

Please be aware that opening a new account once your account has been removed is not allowed.

Thank you,

OfferUp Support

When I click on their links above, it takes me to their site, which I'm banned so I receive an "access denied" notice.  So, I can't read about what I might have done to receive their ire.  Oh well........

It would appear that their review ratings were well justified... like, 90% "Bad."  :mellow:

Dear Miss Kris,

It would appear that you have been "zuckerbuggered" even though you are not talking about face(less)book.

:my apologies for the language, but I don't know of another word for it  :blush:

Archived