SASS Wire Forum

Burgess Rifle, initial impressions

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Well, I was able to pick up a new in box Burgess rifle imported by Taylors in .45 Colt.   Found it at a small local dealer/gunsmith who'd had it for some time.

I found the action to be very smooth, comparable to my real Winchester 73 and 92.  That's saying a lot for a new replica in my opinion.   I did not find the lever throw to be unusually long or stiff compared to those two guns.  

I ran a few rounds through it without firing.  It holds 10 rounds in a 20" barrel.  I found that you have to run the lever with authority, or it might not flip out the old round.   But maybe that was just because it still had the bullet in the case.  Empties may fare better.   I had no failures to feed.  

It does have some sort of a lever safety, similar to a 73, so you have to make sure you have squeezed the lever fully closed to pull the trigger.  (Discovered with an UNLOADED gun.)  It's very subtle, so you do have to remember it.

I few of the ejected round did hit me in the forehead, so it's clearly a gun to wear a hat while shooting!

Overall, I think it's a very nice rifle, and I look forward to trying it at a match, to say nothing of actually firing it.   

For what it's worth, the only other place I've found that advertises having them in stock is Dixie Gun Works, and then only .44-40's.

I don't know how often I'll use it, I'm a Lightning guy, but now at least I have three rifles in .45 Colt so I can bring two pards to a shoot and we can all shoot all the same ammo.  Maybe someday I'll also get a 73 or a 66 in that caliber to round out the collection.

Them's my thoughts.

i like the looks of it , ,from taylors add the 83 costs over $1600 , havent bought a rifle recently so not sure how that compares to a 66-73-92 , 

but it looks a lot like a winchester 92 tho , and im not jumping on that price just yet 

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2022 at 3:08 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

...For what it's worth, the only other place I've found that advertises having them in stock is Dixie Gun Works, and then only .44-40's....

It took a few years before Uberti started making it in 44-40 which was the only caliber the original was made in.  I find it interesting that Uberti never released it in .357.  I'm curious if they attempted it at all, or just decided the action did not lend itself to that much modification.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

It took a few years before Uberti started making it in 44-40 which was the only caliber the original was made in.  I find it interesting that Uberti never released it in .357.  I'm curious if they attempted it at all, or just decided the action did not lend itself to that much modification.

I would not be surprised they they just decided to bother with the needed mods.   

In truth, the last time I took a road trip out west, I drove passed Dixie Gun Works, but only realized it after I'd missed the turn.   My "general" plan was on my next trip to be sure to stop, and if they had one in stock, even it was a .44-40, I'da bought one.   But, I already have 4 .44-40 rifles, which is why I preferred a Burgess in .45 Colt, as at the time I only had 2 rifles in that caliber.  (Adding a recently acquired 66, I now have 4.)   Anyway, I still plan to stop at DGW on my next road trip, and who know what I will buy?  It'll depend on what they have in stock, and if it is interesting to me.   I am now much more "flexible" in getting more stuff since I have reached the desired totals in so many different "categories."   My next desired obtainment in a rifle in .44 Special.   Once I've got that, I really don't "need" anything else.    But "want" may be different.  :)

Archived