SASS Wire Forum

Interesting starter gun for youth?

Shooting Bull

Ran across this in another forum and thought some folks might like to take a look at it.  I'm not at all suggesting it be used for SASS but it sure seems like an economical way to teach some youngin's about single action shooting.  Yes, it's actually a double action but could obviously be shot single action.  

Diamondback Firearms Sidekick 22

As a fan of the old Hi Standard Double Nine; I kind of like the Diamondback.

But for CAS purposes - I like the $150 Heritage Rough Riders better.

And as we have sold literally 100's of the Heritage guns thru the shop - I can attest that while not necessarily pretty - they do function and will hold up to a steady regimen of shooting.

I bought 2 Ruger Wranglers at different times for a little under $200 each time.

I looked at the Heritage but for no more difference than there was in the price I had to go with the Rugers.

Randy

16 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I bought 2 Ruger Wranglers at different times for a little under $200 each time.

I looked at the Heritage but for no more difference than there was in the price I had to go with the Rugers.

Randy

My pard had a gun shop a couple of years ago.  He said that every Heritage they sold eventually came back for repairs.  The parts were just too soft to hold up to much firing.  They quit selling them as they were costing more to fix than they were worth.  

Heritage may have stepped up their game, but I bought two Wranglers for myself.  They are not perfect, but I know Ruger stands behind their products.

13 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

My pard had a gun shop a couple of years ago.  He said that every Heritage they sold eventually came back for repairs.  The parts were just too soft to hold up to much firing.  They quit selling them as they were costing more to fix than they were worth.  

Heritage may have stepped up their game, but I bought two Wranglers for myself.  They are not perfect, but I know Ruger stands behind their products.

I just had a local gunsmith replace the springs in my Wrangler. It's smooth and easy to cock now. I'm going to buy another. I might shoot a couple matches this year with my Wranglers and my Henry .22 rifle. What the heck!! Could be a lot of fun!;)

I bought a Roughrider several years ago just to plink around with. It is definitely not a high dollar or high quality gun but it does shoot good. Last year I bought a pair or Wranglers to practice with. They are of good quality and work great with Wolf springs installed. The only negative for me is the loading gate. The spring must have come off a railroad car.

Lucky 

grin.bmp

20 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

As a fan of the old Hi Standard Double Nine; I kind of like the Diamondback.

But for CAS purposes - I like the $150 Heritage Rough Riders better.

And as we have sold literally 100's of the Heritage guns thru the shop - I can attest that while not necessarily pretty - they do function and will hold up to a steady regimen of shooting.

I have a Hi-Standard Double Nine I bought in 1966 for $65. I had to decide between that & a Ruger Single-Six with an extra mag cylinder, as they were the same price. The 9 shots & the double action won me over as an 18 year old at the time. If I were doing it again, as you know, I would choose the Ruger.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just had a local gunsmith replace the springs in my Wrangler. It's smooth and easy to cock now. I'm going to buy another. I might shoot a couple matches this year with my Wranglers and my Henry .22 rifle. What the heck!! Could be a lot of fun!;)

That's exactly what I do about half the time; use 2 wranglers and a Henry. Very fun. I am taking a bunch of teens out in March and they will be using my '22 rig' 

Archived