SASS Wire Forum

Vehicle Recovery Boards

Chief Rick

Make a mud ladder. Cut a 2x4 tire wide and drill holes rope big near the ends. Make a rope ladder with the 2x4s as the rungs. Roll it up and put it in the back of your rig. 

When you get stuck unroll the ladder in front of your tie for traction.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

19 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

See 'em everywhere tied on 4WD's now.

9 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Make a mud ladder. Cut a 2x4 tire wide and drill holes rope big near the ends. Make a rope ladder with the 2x4s as the rungs. Roll it up and put it in the back of your rig. 

I'll take this as three that don't/haven't used them.

No I recover with a shovel and winch. I carry old truck mudflaps and pallet boards to aid traction.

I'm also a cheapskate who prefers to make my own gear instead of buying if I can.

Best recovery will always be to use good sense about where your vehicle will go/not go in the first place, unless you just like spending your day problem solving in the mud.   Having a second vehicle along on the adventure helps too, as does a cell phone.  

26 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I learned this axiom when I used to go off-roading:

”All 4WD does is get you stuck farther from the road.”

That’s why Florida never issued them to their game wardens.

As shovels they suck. Carry a shovel.

Have at least 4. 8 is better. 

General rule of thumb is the better the warranty the better the boards will stand up to prolonged use.

Carry a cable or chain leash that you can attach to each board to facilitate recovering them after use. Especially true when using them in mud. 

7 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Do you drill the 1.5 dimension or the 3.5?

3.5 so the edge is pressed down and grabs. Unroll and stomp em in, they self anchor that way.  Put the boards far enough apart that 2 or 3 can touch the tire at a time.

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Best recovery will always be to use good sense about where your vehicle will go/not go in the first place, unless you just like spending your day problem solving in the mud.   Having a second vehicle along on the adventure helps too, as does a cell phone.  

One range I frequent is built on an old landfill. Over three years it has settled and instead of being nice and level there are "rolling hills" and the depressions hold a lot of ground water.  With the amount of rain we get, it's almost like a bog sometimes.

There are many SASS ranges where a driver could find themselves in a similar situation with mud or sand.

I had a one ton van that got stuck in my mom's driveway several years ago after a very light snow.  The incline was just enough that wheels were just spinning because they couldn't get traction.

Has nothing to do with knowing where your vehicle will or will not go.

My truck is 4x4 with locking rear differential and two front tow points.  Not all vehicles have tow points anymore, though.

I'm looking for some "insurance" so that if something happens in the future I'm not trying to figure out what I can use to do a job in which a manufactured product is designed to do.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As shovels they suck. Carry a shovel.

Have at least 4. 8 is better. 

General rule of thumb is the better the warranty the better the boards will stand up to prolonged use.

Carry a cable or chain leash that you can attach to each board to facilitate recovering them after use. Especially true when using them in mud. 

I have a small folding shovel in the Jeep and I'm putting one of those Spetznaz shovels in the truck.

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

only insight i have is recovering things that pass through the ice here on lakes - not cheap and can result in legal ramifications , 

Thanks. I hope to not have that problem on the MS Gulf Coast.

Sand and various kinds/consistencies of mud are what we deal with.

Archived