SASS Wire Forum

Sticky Thread for C45S loads?

La Sombra

It seems about every three months or so, some one asks for a "load for 45 Cowboy Special". Since C45S is considered a "wildcat" with no posted loads from the Powder Companies, maybe we need to create a "sticky thread" for the load or reloading of that round? I am loathe to respond to such threads for the OP to use the search function. It doesn't seem like the Cowboy Way. (But it is the right answer.)

La Sombra

11 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

It seems about every three months or so, some one asks for a "load for 45 Cowboy Special". Since C45S is considered a "wildcat" with no posted loads from the Powder Companies, maybe we need to create a "sticky thread" for the load or reloading of that round? I am loathe to respond to such threads for the OP to use the search function. It doesn't seem like the Cowboy Way. (But it is the right answer.)

La Sombra

I did try a couple of searches and found nothing about this brass on forum. I was more concerned about free space and accuracy, but our targets are close enough that I don’t think it’ll be a problem. 

I have had mixed (mostly bad) results with the search function of this forum.  IMHO, telling someone to use the search function is about the same as telling them that you don't have time to answer their silly questions.  This is a forum after all, aren't we here to discuss and share our collective experience?

1 hour ago, La Sombra said:

La Sombra

I've posted in several threads on not just C45S but also 38 Special and 12-Gauge.  Then a little time has gone by and I've tried to search for those threads with no luck.  I've never had great results using the search function with the SASS Wire.

Folks,

I guess that I cheated when I searched for 45 Cowboy Special Loads on the Wire. I used Google. Got some good results too. And the first results were on the Wire.

And I do agree that the Wire Search Function is sub-optimal. Geek speak for "It sucks!".

Thanks.

La Sombra

18 hours ago, PanioloPete said:

I did try a couple of searches and found nothing about this brass on forum. I was more concerned about free space and accuracy, but our targets are close enough that I don’t think it’ll be a problem. 

Accuracy in pistols is about on par with other rounds in the same pistols at close range.   BUT..... accuracy in a rifle at close range sucks unless your chamber

is specifically cut for the shorter cases.   That has been my personal experience by testing it in a couple Marlin 1894's.

..........Widder

15 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I also use Google and additionally type site:sassnet.com, then you only get results from the Wire. 

A few years ago when the SASS Wire started allowing load data, there were several loading threads for various calibers.  I found them with Google by adding sassnet.com to the search field.

Widder: what do you consider "accuracy"? My wife is no great shot and yet she has mostly clean stages every month, using her Uberti '66 carbine in 45 Colt with a chamber cut on the large side. I personally have been experimenting with 44-40 brass cut to 44 Russian length and have not noticed any loss of accuracy at SASS distances in my Uberti '66 44-40 rifle. 

On 1/18/2022 at 2:57 PM, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

I have had mixed (mostly bad) results with the search function of this forum.  IMHO, telling someone to use the search function is about the same as telling them that you don't have time to answer their silly questions.  This is a forum after all, aren't we here to discuss and share our collective experience?

When I started using C45S I asked for data here and received a lot of help. Foolishly at the time I didn't print it. A search couldn't even come up with my own post. The search engine on this wire is pretty much useless. As stated above, use Google and add "+sassnet.comt" to the search. You'll have a better chance. What would be nice to me, would be a way to just click on a topic and be able to save the link here instead of having to keep a separate file on your PC.

Archived