SASS Wire Forum

Sportsman's Warehouse no longer part of Great American Outdoors

Chief Rick

I didn't see this posted yet.

I received an e-mail with the following text:

To our valued customers,

A year ago, Sportsman’s Warehouse entered into a merger agreement with Great American Outdoors, parent company of Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops. Effective December 2, 2021, that merger agreement was terminated. We at Sportsman’s Warehouse are excited to continue operating as a separate, independent and publicly-traded company (NASDAQ: SPWH).

As we enter 2022, we look forward to continuing our strong growth – adding more stores, improving Sportsmans.com, and expanding our product assortment and services. Our mission to provide outstanding gear and exceptional service remains unchanged.

Gear up for unforgettable!

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediacdn.espssl.c

Jon Barker

CEO

Sportsman’s Warehouse

Got that yesterday.  My reaction was the same as Slim's.  Thank gawd Bass Pro is not ruining another store.  I get most of my reloading supplies from Sportsman's.  Plus they have a veteran's discount and are always passing out those $10.00 off coupons.  Now if they would just get in some more reloading supplies so I can redeem my coupons!

16 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Got that yesterday.  My reaction was the same as Slim's.  Thank gawd Bass Pro is not ruining another store.  I get most of my reloading supplies from Sportsman's.  Plus they have a veteran's discount and are always passing out those $10.00 off coupons.  Now if they would just get in some more reloading supplies so I can redeem my coupons!

What??? I didn’t know they had a military discount!

I can probably count on both hands how many times I've been in a Cabela's and still have a finger left over.

How did BPS ruin Cabela's?

Just now, Buckshot Bob said:

They sure did a number on them , didn’t they 

They did. And I'm sitting on $300.00 of gift cards. Hate to walk in the door.

17 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I can probably count on both hands how many times I've been in a Cabela's and still have a finger left over.

If you are a long time Cabela's patron you know what has happened. I have been shopping at Cabela's for at least 30 years, don't spend much there now. Quality on store branded stuff has dropped. They don't stock a lot of reloading, guns and hunting stuff compared with what they did before Johnny Morris took over. The help is terrible too, especially in guns, ammo and hunting stuff. 

43 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

If you are a long time Cabela's patron you know what has happened. I have been shopping at Cabela's for at least 30 years, don't spend much there now. Quality on store branded stuff has dropped. They don't stock a lot of reloading, guns and hunting stuff compared with what they did before Johnny Morris took over. The help is terrible too, especially in guns, ammo and hunting stuff. 

With as few experiences as I've had with Cabela's, guess it's good that I don't have one near me.

The closest BPS is no less than 60 miles and it's the last place I go to look for powder, primers or even guns.  If I'm in the area with time to kill I might stop in.

I've been blessed to have a couple of good LGSs that have always had better prices and selections on reloading components.  They usually also have the ability to get most any gun that BPS has at the same or better prices - not always, but usually.

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

First, they gutted everything from the stores except fishing gear. In that department they more than doubled the footprint. They put huge amounts of bass fishing gear into stores where bass fishing is not popular and nearly nonexistent in the area, like around Portland OR. 
They added all that Fu-Fu crappy furniture and decorations at the cost of real outdoor sports equipment. 
They screwed the Gun Library up completely. They won’t even give low blue book on guns in excellent condition and they jacked the prices through the roof. 
They put trigger locks on everything. Every gun has a trigger lock until it’s sold. 
They literally cut all firearms related accessories including ammo, powder and reloading supplies in half. 
They now do the bull s#+& thing of increasing prices one month then having a SALE the next month putting the prices back to full retail and calling it a deal on most things shooting and reloading. 
They ran off loyal and knowledgeable Cabela’s staff and hired morons to take their places. 

If I ever meet Johnny Morris again I will punch him right in the mouth. That SOB is probably too old to punch now. Maybe he’s dead. That would be a plus. 
If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have bought lures or let my Dad buy fishing gear from him when he operated out of a trailer on Beaver Lake in Arkansas in 1972. 
He’s an anti gun POS that wouldn’t sell hunting guns except they make a lot of money on them…Oh yeah, that bastage cut back on the number and variety of guns, especially handguns. 

If you’re into fishing BPS nearly has it all, but Cabela’s wasn’t about just fishing. It was about Outdoor Sportsmen and women. 

I would tell you how I really feel but that would get me banned. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

First, they gutted everything from the stores except fishing gear. In that department they more than doubled the footprint. They put huge amounts of bass fishing gear into stores where bass fishing is not popular and nearly nonexistent in the area, like around Portland OR. 
They added all that Fu-Fu crappy furniture and decorations at the cost of real outdoor sports equipment. 
They screwed the Gun Library up completely. They won’t even give low blue book on guns in excellent condition and they jacked the prices through the roof. 
They put trigger locks on everything. Every gun has a trigger lock until it’s sold. 
They literally cut all firearms related accessories including ammo, powder and reloading supplies in half. 
They now do the bull s#+& thing of increasing prices one month then having a SALE the next month putting the prices back to full retail and calling it a deal on most things shooting and reloading. 
They ran off loyal and knowledgeable Cabela’s staff and hired morons to take their places. 

If I ever meet Johnny Morris again I will punch him right in the mouth. That SOB is probably too old to punch now. Maybe he’s dead. That would be a plus. 
If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have bought lures or let my Dad buy fishing gear from him when he operated out of a trailer on Beaver Lake in Arkansas in 1972. 
He’s an anti gun POS that wouldn’t sell hunting guns except they make a lot of money on them…Oh yeah, that bastage cut back on the number and variety of guns, especially handguns. 

If you’re into fishing BPS nearly has it all, but Cabela’s wasn’t about just fishing. It was about Outdoor Sportsmen and women. 

You got that pretty much spot on!

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I used to really like SW, but the local one in Prescott is terrible.  No one knows anything and they about as helpful and concerned about their customers as a jar full of chiggers.

That's pretty much the case at a lot of businesses right now.  They hire who they can get and many are still short staffed.  No one wants to work when they can make more money staying home.  The Sportsman's by my house has gone up and down dramatically the past year.  They have a table right inside the front door and have it manned asking people if they want a job.  The old guys that knew about guns, hunting, fishing and camping are gone.  The new guys are not all that knowledgeable but are trying to learn.  Hopefully us nastry, ill-tempered old pharts won't scare them off before they can learn a little bit about their jobs.  (And, hopefully, they won't quit about the time they start learning.)

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Yep so very correct the main stock goes to Bass Pro and Cabelas is second and gets leftovers . , When ammo was really scarce BPS would have in Cabelas no . 

I've been waiting for SW to both get things back in stock and to do their "Spend $200 get $50 rewards points" promotion again so I can squeeze every penny to getting my gear.

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Where do I get one of these $10 coupons?

9 minutes ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Where do I get one of these $10 coupons?

They show up at different events.  Our local CAS club has them at our annual dinner.  The Trap League I belong to had a fun shoot a few weeks ago and there was a pile of them on a table.  I am sure when I have been at the Four Corners Regional in Hurricane, Utah, the St. George, Utah, Sportsman's had a pile of them available.  They also occassionally have the $50.00 coupons you refer to.

Well, I personally like Sportsman’s Warehouse. I have been to 10 different  ones in this country and only ran into one meathead employee. 
Years ago I liked BPS until I went into a Cabela’s and all of a sudden BPS had a lot to be desired. I mostly frequented BPS for bass fishing gear and stuff for my bass boat. Cabela’s was okay for fishing gear but man oh man, they had it together for guns, hunting, camping and pretty much everything besides fishing. Plus they had the bargain cave and the gun library. 
That’s all over with…

I remember when there was only 2 Cabala's stores out in Nebraska and when I went on vacation out west i would always may my wife let me detour a couple 100 miles just to stop at them. When we first got one near Chicago, it was ok but went way downhill when Bass pro took them over. I went the the original Bass pro in Missouri once and was not impressed like I was at Cabala's.  That was in the 1990' thru the early 2000s

The closest Cabela’s to me is an hour and a half. The parking lots used to be full all the time. Didn’t matter what time or what season. Now the lot is nearly empty all the time. Glad Ass pro didn’t end up getting Sportsman’s Warehouse. They sure messed up Cabela’s. Especially the bargain cave and clothing. 

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That's pretty much the case at a lot of businesses right now.  They hire who they can get and many are still short staffed.  No one wants to work when they can make more money staying home.  The Sportsman's by my house has gone up and down dramatically the past year.  They have a table right inside the front door and have it manned asking people if they want a job.  The old guys that knew about guns, hunting, fishing and camping are gone.  The new guys are not all that knowledgeable but are trying to learn.  Hopefully us nastry, ill-tempered old pharts won't scare them off before they can learn a little bit about their jobs.  (And, hopefully, they won't quit about the time they start learning.)

Yeah, but this has been the case for five or so years that I'm aware of.  None of the others seem to have had that problem. 

In Hammond, In. the Cabela's and BP were across the street from one another. Went to BP to price check reloading supplies and drove right back to Cabela's. Now they share the suck. Pat nailed it.

16 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

They did. And I'm sitting on $300.00 of gift cards. Hate to walk in the door.

For $300.00 just take a deep breath and go cash those in!!

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How is Johnny Morris anti-gun?

We live about 15 minutes from BP/HQ store in Springfield, MO.  There's no restrictions on concealed or open carry there and we are a Constitutional carry state.

The trigger lock deal was put in place thanks to the lawyers and insurance requirements. 

If you ever saw the gun selection here. You would see lots of AR type rifles. Plus they sell suppressors too.

Lot of reloading stuff. Just before the C19 stupid started I bought a 8lb jug of Unique. Glad I did!

My wife works in the BP customer call center and is very happy to be there. She has told me that Johnny Morris treats his employees very well and I have personally seen this.

BTW-Her employee discount runs from 10-45% depending on the item.

Respectfully, 

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How is Johnny Morris anti-gun?

He is anti handgun and anti anything that isn’t a traditional hunting gun. 

He’s a snob. He not sells guns for the money. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sounds like a former Mayor, (thank goodness), we had a while back. He came to a Gun Group we used to have here to solicit campaign donations, assuring us that he was a Good Republican and would defend our gun rights if elected. Once he got into office, he backed every gun restriction measure that the democrats on the City Clowncil put forth. 

Turns out that he IS pro gun. He shoots Skeet and Trap. Anything else is Bad as far as he's concerned though . 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

He’s a snob. He not sells guns for the money. 

Well, looking at the great selection of handguns at the HQ store makes that hard to believe. 

If he truly is anti-handgun, why does he allow concealed and open carry in the store?

Just how is he anti-handgun? 

OLG

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Well, looking at the great selection of handguns at the HQ store makes that hard to believe. 

If he truly is anti-handgun, why does he allow concealed and open carry in the store?

Just how is he anti-handgun? 

OLG

Look, if you like him and want to patronize BPS, go ahead. 
I have talked to employees that knew him personally. That is where I got my info. 

Archived