SASS Wire Forum

Ebay - Cheap Double Leather Rig

Buckshot Bear

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Ebay - Cheap Double Leather Rig

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175114514420?hash=item28c5a36ff4:g:Z~YAAOSwb4Rh5VO-

Would these be just rubbish at that low price?

Yes, cheap Mexican costume rig.  We can buy them from some sites for $99. (U.S.)  Thin leather and stitching lasts for a month or so before it frays and starts to break.

Cartridge loops tear away fairly easily.

I purchased a single drop one from a wholesale site in Mexico...the site that provides them to these ebay sellers most likely. Got it for about $35 bucks
Did not use it heavily, or much at all...and it is adequate.....you wont be able to stick your pinky in the air with your $1000 leather Gucci set that wears and frays also. Leather does that...it may not be quite as thick...it may not be imported third generation Italian Stallion herd beef side 
But then again...people used to make their own, wear them everyday in a saddle, in the rain and dirt and they worked.

I keep mine around in case someone wants to go shooting with me and needs one.
Still works.

I have seen them here in Arizona and decided that they would not be for our game.  The leather is thinner and they are not made for rapid use and reholstering. Would they work as an entry level holster, yes. Would you quickly decide that you needed to upgrade, yes. 

Bought a buscadaro rig exactly like pair shown in 2002.  10oz oil tanned leather. Use the rig frequently … best ever $69 Cowboy purchase

https://www.wholesalecentral.com/sercal0001/store.cfm?event=itemdetail&itemid=555589&returnto=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wholesalecentral.com%2Fsercal0001%2Fstore.cfm%3Fevent%3Dshowcatalog%26catid%3D73818   

Hard to tell without having the rig in hand to compare, but the cheapo Mexican rig I started out ('99) looks similar.  I think it was around $140 with the x-draw.  It is fairly thick leather. I'm guessing that back then the leather was likely thicker for the same price as now.   I used it for about a year until I picked up a used Mernickle rig.  It held up very well.  I had to modify the x-draw holster slightly when the 30-degree angle rule was made and occasionally use that.  I haven't used the rig itself since then because it is so ugly.  :)

RIG.jpg

Something to be wary of is chrome tanned or oil tanned leather, which is the fastest and quickest way to tan leather. The process uses salts to tan. Many experienced leather workers claim that chrome and oil tanned leather can cause corrosion on guns and knives. The high-end holster makers that I have looked at use vegetable tanned leather, with many using the expensive Herman Oak brand. 
Generally, tooled leather is veg tanned but I could also see items like this being machine embossed. Something to think about. 

First off, they can't even bother to get a gunbelt that fits the model, it is too small, the belt itself almost doesn't even touch at the ends, which is why is is sagging. The billet(the part that goes through the buckle) is way too small for the buckle used, and seems to just flop around, especially where it goes through the oversize keepers. That's just for a start, it hurts to even look at this rig.

10 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

But then again...people used to make their own, wear them everyday in a saddle, in the rain and dirt and they worked.

And they wore 'em tied down too.  And people weren't playing a game where ease of getting your hog leg back into leather is as important as getting it out.

I was told straight out when I was first starting by a “well known member” that I might as well not even show up with my belt and holsters. They were substandard and would only get in my way. I had a set of Triple K holsters on a simple triple k belt. All these years later, they still work perfectly when I use them. 
Dont let the “experts” tell you what to use. Of course a much more expensive holster will be more expensive :rolleyes:, that doesn’t mean that the one you have isn’t good enough. 
I was young and stupid and took “well known members” comments As being the truth before I decided he was full of it and “brung what I had” and had a blast. 

everything ive bought over the years i purchased knowing they were tools that would be used hard and abused , it doesnt make sense to buy too cheap - sight unseen from a vendor that has no reputation never works for me , if it doesnt feel right it it wont do , 

there are vendors that are well known names that produce great equipment that will stand up just fine to start and can be passed on to new shooters if you so desire , or invest once in really good gear and wear it for life 

I would rather buy some used gear, that is known to be from a good maker. Look at trying the stuff out as an expense just like ammo. Then buy some good gear you really like when you know what you really want.

actually thats a good idea - buy used gear that other cowboys/girls have for sale at the range to loan out or sell to newbys , not looking to start a whole nuther market here , just thinking to keep it all in house and be dealing with equipment that is quality enough to stand up , i do like your reasoning in trying to help out and im now thinking this and guncarts might fit into this type of service - guns and ammo off the table for liability reasons , besides there are plenty of folks willing to offer that to a prospect seperate from the club/organization , 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I was thinking of buying one or two in different sizes as "club holsters" for newbies.

Even if they were of acceptable quality, buscadero rigs would be the worst choice for that purpose as the holsters very likely end up in the wrong position. In the best case it's just a bit uncomfortable, in the worst case you get safety issues. 

Archived