SASS Wire Forum

.45 Cowboy Special Brass Loads

PanioloPete

Does anyone have experience loading the .45 Cowboy Special brass case? It has a .45 Colt rim and head, but .45 ACP length. I figure it’s like using .38 Special or .44 Special loads in .357 and .44 Magnum firearms. Anyway I ordered some to try out. Looking forward to shooting some SASS matches again!

3 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Link does not work for me at 6:45 Eastern time

Sorry, I just wrote it from my poor memory…

I used 4.2 grains of Reddot or a case full of APP or 777 FFg under a 200-230 grain cast bullet.

Some cowboys will go lighter but my OMVs liked a little oomph to make up for the excessive free bore (distance to the rifling).

3.9 grains of Clays and Desperado Cowboy Bullets' 170 grain bullets. Real easy on my arthritis in old model Bisley Vaqueros.

Thank you I picked some up. 

Ruger OMV Bisleys 5.5" 

I use 1.3cc goex 3f with a 200 gr MBC black powder lube.

I use 6.0 gr Unique with a 200 gr for smokeless. 

I save the 200 gr big lube bullets for the rifle. 24" rifle is 8.0 gr Unique or 2.2 cc Goex with the 200 gr bullet. 

For 45 CS I use 45 colt resize die, then switch to 45acp dies for the next 3 steps (4 die lee) The 45acp dies are set the same as for my 1911. 

Howdy

The 45 Cowboy Special has the same internal capacity as 45ACP. It was designed that way. Any data for 45ACP can be used with 45CS. You could also use data for 45 Auto Rim.

Left to right in this photo are 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 45 Cowboy Special, 45 Auto Rim, and 45 ACP.

pmNglbXFj

I have been loading 3.5 grains of trailboss under a 200 grain rnfp. Nice easy load in both my derringer and Old Model Vaquaros

I use 4.2 grains of Bullseye or WST with a 175 grain bullet.    If adapting .45 auto data, do not use a load that exceeds your REVOLVER pressure limits.

good luck, GJ

4 grains of Red Dot and a 200grn bullet from Scarlett.

I use 4.2 grains of Clays under a 160 RNFP bullet.

Be careful with 45ACP data as it is much hotter than need for CAS. ACP has to cycle the gun, CAS doesn't. JMHO

13 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Be careful with 45ACP data as it is much hotter than need for CAS. ACP has to cycle the gun, CAS doesn't. JMHO

45 acp runs about 21k pressure and max on 45 colt is 14k. SO if you use 45 acp data to form a load make sure you are aware of the pressures and don't go over 14k. 

42 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That was my thought as well on the .45 ACP load data. Using .45 ACP dies due to the length is sound though. I’m a fan of Ruger SAs after a reloading mishap years ago, but I like to stay in the 750-850 fps for ease of handling. 

15 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Trying 160 gr RFN on top of 5.0 gr bullseye. Got a little kick to it so you know you are shooting something.  Probably try 4.5 grains also.

I still have a couple pounds of Bullseye and Universal Clays from when I was actively shooting and competing, so those are my preferred powders right now. 

19 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I used 4.2 grains of Reddot or a case full of APP or 777 FFg under a 200-230 grain cast bullet.

Some cowboys will go lighter but my OMVs liked a little oomph to make up for the excessive free bore (distance to the rifling).

That excessive freeborn was my curiosity. Just wondering if it was going to be an accuracy problem. Thanks for your insight!

All this talk of freebore always makes me laugh. For years people who wanted accurate target guns loaded 38 special brass in a .357 gun, and used a big flat ended bullet seated flush with the end of the brass,  that would contribute nothing to centering itself in the forcing cone of a barrel. And it worked fine.  And here we worry about being able to hit an 18" plate at 20 feet or less.

Many of the same guns can include a 45 ACP cylinder, implying some capability of the gun in general above the standard spec. Yes, there would be a longer throat. How many cautionary posts do we need?

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Many of the same guns can include a 45 ACP cylinder, implying some capability of the gun in general above the standard spec. Yes, there would be a longer throat. How many cautionary posts do we need?

Thats actually a good point. If a revolver can use a 45 acp cylinder then that revolver should be spec'd to the acp's 21k pressure range.

18 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Thats actually a good point. If a revolver can use a 45 acp cylinder then that revolver should be spec'd to the acp's 21k pressure range.

OH NO! not this topic again. OK I will play. A Colt SAA can come with a 45ACP cylinder . Now we get into bolt thrust.

1 minute ago, john brown said:

OH NO! not this topic again. OK I will play. A Colt SAA can come with a 45ACP cylinder  and a 45 colt cylinder. Now we can talk about case dimensions .

45 ACP data for use in a gun rated for 45 Colt can be extrapolated for use in 45CS keeping mind that SAAMI spec (I looked it up) shows the 45 ACP pressure max as 21K psi and 18K CUP. One published data example states the load as generating 13.5K CUP, so it is well below max at the nominal velocity for a given bullet weight. My own load is 5% below minimum powder weight for 45 ACP with my powder and even then was the heaviest charge I tested starting at 10% and 15% below. It just felt right for the impulse and reduced muzzle rise that I wanted from the gun when firing.

I have herd of some using Magnum primers in 45 cowboy special is there an advantage to them or are they just using them because it's all they can get ?

Woodfox

21 hours ago, john brown said:

OH NO! not this topic again. OK I will play. A Colt SAA can come with a 45ACP cylinder . Now we get into bolt thrust.

If that is a concern for fracturing the top strap, couldn't we presume that all that was tested by the manufacturer, certified by the stampings on the gun?

Archived