SASS Wire Forum

12 year old and my 1847 walker

Trigger Mike

Since they are out of school my 12 year old wanted to shoot cap and ball.  I opted to burn some of my black powder 45lc ammo so we loaded the 1847 walker with a conversion cylinder and away we went.  

I wanted to use up some of the black powder rounds in case something happens to me and no one knows how to clean after shooting black powder.  I also showed him how afterwards. 

I am also thinking of selling it but have not decided. 

The neat thing about that is I was watching it on my phone. The microphone is it the bottom of my phone. And I had it setting on my belly.

So every time he fired, I felt it.

That the kid that shot two deer with one shot with a Garand? I don't recall if you were the one that posted that, but that does look like the boy in the picture.

I let him view all the remarks you all made.  It made him feel good.  He sometimes seems insecure.  His older brother adds to it as he likes to disparage his ability to shoot compared to his own.  

Your remarks did him some good.  He was surprised about grown men not being able to one hand a walker.  He liked that comment a lot.  

I got to spend time with a Walker last year when making a holster for friend.  I gave it to him when we were shooting his Walker and my 1851 Navies.  He said that the Walker felt great to him and was not big, only that other guns were small.

Nice video.  Great to a kid learning the history of guns.

20200802_135514.jpg

Archived