SASS Wire Forum

Accumulation of stuff and what to do with it.

Finagler 6853 Life

One of the local auction houses does a sporting goods consignment auction about every other month.  Hunting, fishing, reloading, about anything you can imagine.  There is one coming up in February.  So I was down in the cave the other day looking at some of the stuff I have acquired over the years truly assessing if I will ever use any of this stuff or not.  I have a fair number of bullets I'm going to sell.  220 grain .375 caliber (I don't even own something that shoots this round), 305 grain 45-70 bullets.  Don't get crazy now, I'm keeping a few but have several hundred already loaded.  44 mag bullets, several hundred .224 bullets, 17 cal bullets (I don't have a 17.  Got these buying other stuff).  30-30 brass, once fired and 100 new unprimed.  New unprimed 45-70 brass.  300 Weatherby Mag brass my brother thought I should have.  30-06 dies.  Where does all this stuff come from?  I'm not listing it in the Classifieds.  Prices are going crazy high right now and I want to do a one an done program.  I don't even know how much to ask for some of this.

It took a fair amount of reflection to decide on what needs to go and what stays.  I have some grip panels that I will be listing in the Classifieds, later.  Funny thing is, I didn't hardly make a dent.  I suppose I should give my daughter the rest of my .32 H&R mag cowboy loads since she has the guns (I'll never see those again).  That is another strange thing.  She wanted "her" cowboy guns when she got her own place but all the rest of her cowboy stuff (clothes and accoutrements) are still at my house.  How does that work?

I'm finally reaching that stage where I am deciding how many hunting rifles I want to have and who I give the rest to.  You don't have to worry, I don't like you well enough to give you one. :P   Pistols of various calibers and sizes.  EDC and bug out ones.  How many shotgun shells do I need?  That's a rhetorical question but I have bags of empties in various places.  Don't even get me started on leather.  Cartridge belts of different calibers, ones that shrunk considerably, different colors depending on my mood.  I think this is an addiction.  No, I don't want an intervention.

I'm going to take this stuff to the auction and then use the proceeds to take mom out for a nice vacation. Just ramblings of a bored mind.

I'm in the midst of that now, nibbling around the edges.  Letting go of "stuff" that I've held on to for way too long.  

1 hour ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I'm going to take this stuff to the auction and then use the proceeds to take mom out for a nice vacation. Just ramblings of a bored mind.

That’s a great idea! :)

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

My wife has gave some thought to doing that.

Could she entice my wife to do the same?  I also have a bunch of "iron" and stuff that I haven't used in at least ten years.  Although I hate to "let the old man in", as I am pushing the big 80, I doubt I will ever go hunting again.  Still...ya never know!  Besides, with this virus stuff going around, I think I'll wait before setting up at a local gun show... 

I'm turning 80 in another two months and have been "purging" a lot of stuff, not just gun related things, for about eight months.  I sold a Browning Sweet 16 that I bought for under $160.00 back in the day and almost never shot for $1700.00.

I have a 20 gauge Ithaca Model 37 that I bought a year ago for $400.00 and the guy that bought it for $700.00 is going to come by tomorrow to pick it up along with four boxes of dove and quail loads that I will no longer have a gun for.

I also have  workshop full of Marx O-27 electric trains that are going up for sale very soon and a ton of old Plasticville buildings.

I sold most of my Victorian and Edwardian era clothes  last October.

I simply can't find a reason to keep a lot of it any more and my kids really don't want to deal with it.

Anyone want a 6 ton hydraulic bottle jack?  I've been keeping it for over fifty years and never had it out of the box.

:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

My wife has gave some thought to doing that.

Sure she hasn’t given thought to you doing that?

17 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Sure she hasn’t given thought to you doing that?

I would be involved only to the level of being the mule carrying it all to the driveway.

Rye The old Lionel trains and accessories have considerable value these days.  On a side note, in going through my pa's stuff, I found his achievement card showing he made Second Class Boy Scout in May of 1932. Will my grandkids care that I was a Suicide Prevention volunteer? Or that I have some HO scale diecast truck made by Ulrich in the late 1950s.

Imis

Going through my stuff and selectively getting rid of things myself.

Turned a handsome profit through a UK auction house, who handled the sale of some British Orders, Knighthood insignia etc.

Next up is the coin and stamp accumulation.

Been thinning the herd a bit myself.  Next to go is my Winchester .270 FW, as I'll not be doing any more hunting

that requires such a rifle.  If I ever do hunt again my mdl 92's can handle it. 

Likewise selling a few handguns locally, don't shoot that way anymore.  Still plan to do CAS, and some steel challenge,

but getting down to three carry guns (for season or attitude), dumping the rest. 

Sold one AR, keeping one for now, and one in .22 for competition.  The 5.56 will go once I stop shooting Known Distance

matches and NRA High Power style matches.

Been cleaning out my shop, getting rid of things that aren't used anymore, decluttering the place.

Feels good to see the walls behind the shelves, and the floor in some spots.

In Feng Shui you declutter to make room for more things to enter your life, so who knows - this could be good!

SC

Archived