SASS Wire Forum

That was odd

Utah Bob #35998

Came back from the store and there’s a dead doe laying at the edge of the driveway about 400 feet from the road. Doesn’t look malnourished and I didn’t see any blood or obvious injuries. I did hear a lot of gunfire yesterday about a mile north but a guy has his own range and it sounded like he was doing some tactical stuff. Lots of quick double taps etc, all pistol? 
So I called the local game warden who also thought it was odd. She’ll come out in the morning.

Depends on how fresh it is. Roadkill usually goes to a local food bank after dressing. You can get a road kill permit if you want. It’s free. I hate paperwork.  And butchering. :lol:

About the tastiest deer I've had was a healthy forked-horn blacktail that I "harvested" with my 1974 Fiat 124 Spider "Magnum" in the hills above San Mateo (south of San Francisco).

The car suffered a cracked headlamp.  The deer a broken neck. 

Ironically, I'd just returned from a fruitless ten-day hunting trip, and still had a deer tag in my pocket.  Different zone, but what the heck... I tagged that critter anyway, moved the spare tire to behind my seat and stuffed the deer into the trunk.  Skinned and dressed 'im in a buddy's garage in Alameda, much to the consternation of his very sweet missus.  :rolleyes:

That is odd I hope it’s not some disease that will affect other deer. 

I am assuming it gets below freezing where you are so an overnight freeze would ruin the meat for harvesting, wouldn’t it? You couldn’t thaw and refreeze it. The meat would be ruined 

Chronic Wasting Disease is a problem in Colorado although it’s mostly over on the Front Range. But this looks like a healthy doe to me. Hopefully they‘ll do a necropsy and determine what killed her.

3 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Maybe she was grazing around the Doobie Sisters in Cortez and got a hold of some bad weed

I probably would have heard giggling before she passed out. 
And I doubt a stoned ungulate could make it the 30 miles from the Doobie Sisters. :D

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That is odd I hope it’s not some disease that will affect other deer. 

I am assuming it gets below freezing where you are so an overnight freeze would ruin the meat for harvesting, wouldn’t it? You couldn’t thaw and refreeze it. The meat would be ruined 

Where do you get this info? I have eaten venison that has been frozen and thawed and refrozen and hung in the hide for 10 days and was the best venison I ever ate.

33 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Where do you get this info? I have eaten venison that has been frozen and thawed and refrozen and hung in the hide for 10 days and was the best venison I ever ate.

My Mom.

This used to be something that everybody knew. "You can't refreeze meat".

I found that refreezing meat makes it more tender. The ice crystals in the meat act like little knives, and cut the meat.

I've seen several types of meat in the grocery store where the package is marked PREVIOUSLY FROZEN.

Maybe this old wives tale about not refreezing meat comes from people defrosting the meat for supper, deciding against it, and putting it back in the freezer, but while defrosting it it sat out in the heat, and therefore picked up salmonella or something similar.

Regardless, I have heard that you cannot refreeze meat all my life. And I have thawed it and refroze it - not multiple times, but at least once - many times through my adult life, and have never had a bad result.

The country processor where I usually have my gutted deer carcass turned into steaks and ground venison gets slammed the first few days of rifle season.  They use outdoor freezers to store several hundred hanging carcasses until they can be brought in for processing, sometimes 2 or 3 weeks later.  Then the packaged processed cuts are re- frozen and I pick them up in a Coleman cooler.

Tastes great!

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Chronic Wasting Disease is a problem in Colorado although it’s mostly over on the Front Range. But this looks like a healthy doe to me. Hopefully they‘ll do a necropsy and determine what killed her.

I was reading recently in a US Fish and Wildlife Service news release  that the COVID 19 virus is appearing in whitetail deer in Iowa and Missouri.  The bulletin did not speak to symptoms or mortality, but said seriously ill-appearing deer have been tested positive. 

The concern was more of a human medical one over Zoonosis-- a possible developing wildlife reservoir for the disease that cannot be easily vaccinated or contained, but can be unavoidably transmitted back into humans.   It said other wildlife species are currently being tested.  Covid has already shown up I domestic dogs and other domestic animals..  Hope is that wildlife do not create a link to increase those infections and make control of the spread of C19 among humans more difficult.

35 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I was reading recently in a US Fish and Wildlife Service news release  that the COVID 19 virus is appearing in whitetail deer in Iowa and Missouri.  The bulletin did not speak to symptoms or mortality, but said seriously ill-appearing deer have been tested positive. 

The concern was more of a human medical one over Zoonosis-- a possible developing wildlife reservoir for the disease that cannot be easily vaccinated or contained, but can be unavoidably transmitted back into humans.   It said other wildlife species are currently being tested.  Covid has already shown up I domestic dogs and other domestic animals..  Hope is that wildlife do not create a link to increase those infections and make control of the spread of C19 among humans more difficult.

A number animals at the Denver zoo have come down with it. Hyenas, lions, and tigers.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/11/05/denver-zoo-coronavirus-first-case-hyenas/

I went to that link, and at the bottom of the article there was another link on HOW TO REHEAT YOUR STEAK.

Why?

When I cook steak, I usually cook two, and put one in the refrigerator. I eat it cold the next day. I have actually decided that cold day-old steak is better than hot fresh steak.

If you have leftover steak, do you reheat it before eating it?

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I went to that link, and at the bottom of the article there was another link on HOW TO REHEAT YOUR STEAK.

Why?

When I cook steak, I usually cook two, and put one in the refrigerator. I eat it cold the next day. I have actually decided that cold day-old steak is better than hot fresh steak.

Cold, day-old steak is better than hot, fresh steak? You, sir, are truly demented.:D

A smaller piece of steak, I would reheat but there usually isn't any steak left to reheat. 

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Cold, day-old steak is better than hot, fresh steak? You, sir, are truly demented.:D

Suns it up nicely, I think. :lol:

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Why?

For the very few times there is any steak left over I use it to make an omelet the next morning.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Cold, day-old steak is better than hot, fresh steak? You, sir, are truly demented.

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Suns it up nicely, I think. 

Try it before you knock it.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Suns it up nicely, I think. :lol:

Well, they don’t call him Alpo for nothing. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Do I need to repost the story of Alpo?

It has been several years.

Probably for the new guys. :lol:

04D2FDAD-97AA-42FF-BB41-43B0FF1DF027.jpeg

Leftover steak (beef) can be chopped up pretty fine and cooked with leftover oatmeal and make a meal similar to goetta.  I like goetta.

STL Suomi

Archived