SASS Wire Forum

Old Henry

Buckshot Bob

Enjoyed it myself

I don't understand "the big reveal".

In the trailer they say his name is Henry McCarty. Am I the only one that knew that that was Billy the Kid's real name? Or least wise, one of the names he used.

Don't nobody read history anymore?

Good movie. Will watch again.

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

In the trailer they say his name is Henry McCarty. Am I the only one that knew that that was Billy the Kid's real name? Or least wise, one of the names he used.

Nope caught onto that  real quick .But always been into old west history .
 Now the only part I didnt get was whos brand that was suppose to be .

I watched it tonight, and enjoyed it. Not a blockbuster, but a solid, serviceable Western. There are a lot of Westerns being made again, it seems, which is great news. May even help CAS among the young in the long run....

Looked up the flic on Wikipedia and it talks about how Nelson worked several months to get ready for the role, including intensive gun handling skills. I can think of a different actor who could have used that kind of education.....

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Is it still worth watching after you folks have revealed the surprises??

Yes he gives his name at the beginning of the movie, I would guess anyone that’s a member of this forum gets it at that point. It’s a good movie, that could have been a great movie with a little better writing. The actors and special effects people certainly did their part 

16 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So this movie  assumes that Billy never got killed ??:o

Yep , that’s Alpo’s disappointment with the big reveal. 
I guess my disappointment is they could have done so much more with the storyline. The shootout scenes are very good.

I’m also thinking that if Billy the kid had survived his encounter with Pat Garret , when he went to start his new life he wouldn’t have used his name or any of his aliases 

'Course not. After surviving the shootout with Pat Garrett, by not being there, he lived out the rest of his life under the name of Brushy Bill Roberts.

Didn't any of y'all watch Young Guns? :P

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

'Course not. After surviving the shootout with Pat Garrett, by not being there, he lived out the rest of his life under the name of Brushy Bill Roberts.

Didn't any of y'all watch Young Guns? :P

I believe there’s a young guns lll in the works that’s supposed to explore that story 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The shootout scenes are very good.

They are excellent.

The Billy the Kid idea was a little far-fetched, but not the idea that the seeming sodbuster had a gunfighter past, and tweren't to be messed with ultimately. That's been the theme in other stories, too.

To my recollection,   the DNA tests done on Brushy Bill's descendants were

"Inconclusive " as to  his claim to be Billy the Kid.

I've  always wondered why Bill Robert's was so eager to be recognized as Billy.

Billy was being held on an open count of murder when he escaped, and since there is no statute of limitations on that charge ,couldn't he still be prosecuted ?

Just a thought

Choctaw

On 1/17/2022 at 5:19 AM, Alpo said:

I didn’t know that and hadn’t watched it yet but it’s on my list…although now you have ruined this uneducated persons surprise.

I won’t be as disappointed as the girl in high school that I took to the movie “The Titanic”…she didn’t think it would sink in a movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.  The gunfight scenes were solid and believable.

I have it set to record this afternoon so’s I can watch it again whenever I get the urge.

7 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.  The gunfight scenes were solid and believable.

I have it set to record this afternoon so’s I can watch it again whenever I get the urge.

I liked that , they showed you actually have to reload and how the weren’t screwing around when they did 

They should have made the character a fictional dude, You know some old washed up gunfighter or something.

Why use a real historical person. It seems so silly to me!

On 1/19/2022 at 7:22 AM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Is it still worth watching after you folks have revealed the surprises??

Yes , take its for what it is a what if type , I picked up on the kid right off ,  Its still better than 90 % of the crap coming out today half the people that would argue historical facts would say the Saloon #10 has Hickoks death chair . So  a western entertainment Movie  yes worth the watch  enjoy it for what it is .

One of the things that struck me was how believable Tim Blake Nelson’s appearance was as an aging Billy Bonny!! The similarities in face and build were remarkable!

And yeah!! With the past controversy surrounding the death  of Billy the Kid, the “what if” offers a great perspective.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:14 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

They are excellent.

The Billy the Kid idea was a little far-fetched, but not the idea that the seeming sodbuster had a gunfighter past, and tweren't to be messed with ultimately. That's been the theme in other stories, too.

What? A western with a far fetched story? Say it ain’t  so! :lol:

Archived