SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 55 22LR- Any experience?

sassnetguy50

Winchester 55 22LR single shot, not the lever gun.

The ambidextrous single shot caught my eye.  The internet says 40-some thousand were made 60 years ago.  It fires from an open bolt.  It can be taken down (of no value to me).  It was advertised as the safest rifle ever since the safety resets after firing. 

No writeups I've found discussed the accuracy or reliability in design and ammunition.  Does anyone have input on this?  Did Winchester release an improved model or drop the design completely?

I remember back in 1960-61 the local farmers use to get these for free for buying a certain amount of seeds or fertilizer.  Kinda fun to shoot but after a while the farmers started wondering what's the point of a semi-auto single shot?  I guess a lot of people thought that as Winchester dropped it after a very few years.  They were only made from 1958 through 1961.  If I find one at a gun show and the price is right I would buy it for the nostalgia.  One of the first guns I got to shoot a lot.

There was also another Model 55.  It was a variation of the Winchestere Model 94.  Makes research somewhat difficult as both come up in an Internet search.

Archived