SASS Wire Forum

Run for your lives!

Utah Bob #35998

OMG! Millenials barely survive the catastrophic Tsunami. Wow. Their courage is inspiring!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/watch-tsunami-waves-surge-ashore-in-california/vi-AASORre

Anyone who still lives on the West Coast coastline apparently did not heed Algore's warnings... :o

OMG what if she would have been SPLASHED!!? :lol:

Is FEMA on the way??

I'm inland (75 mi maybe?) from the coast.  I think elevation here is around 86 feet.  However, there's a mountain range (well, mostly big hills, but one nearby is about 4000') between us and the coast.  The river system is another issue.  Sill, about 25 to 30 feet in elevation up from the river and a mile of land between here and there.  It would take an awful big surge to get here.

2 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I used to live in the Marshall Islands.  I hope all there are OK.  Haven't heard anything from them yet.

I can’t imagine there will be no casualties. It was huge!

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Kind of reminds me of my days on Okinawa during typhoon season: "Typhoon Condition 1: surfs up."   :D

I can remember in the mid ‘90’s every time we would get a tsunami warning, all of the surfers would head for the beach. This was at Morro Bay and Pismo Beach.

The club house for the Pismo Beach Lions Club was at 20 feet above mean sea level, so we would be concerned. 

5 hours ago, Modoc said:

I can remember in the mid ‘90’s every time we would get a tsunami warning, all of the surfers would head for the beach. This was at Morro Bay and Pismo Beach.

The club house for the Pismo Beach Lions Club was at 20 feet above mean sea level, so we would be concerned. 

Why would you be concerned at 20’ asl?

Back in the early 80’s there was an earthquake in Alaska. 
There were tsunami warnings. 
A news bubble head was on the beach gushing with excitement about the pending tsunami and bubbling with joy as the beach was full of people there to watch. 
An unassuming older gent in a tweed sport coat and nerdy glasses could be seen standing to the side of the bubble head a few feet back. 
There was a commercial break. 
When they came back to the news they went back to “our man on the beach…”

The reporter was standing next to the older gent in the sport coat. He introduced the man as “Doctor (so and so) from the UCLA Geology Department” I believe. 
Anyway, the reporter tells us that the doctor has something important to say and then prompts the man to tell the folks what this message is.

The man basically explained that if a big enough tsunami comes all the water one can see will rush outward away from the beach. 
The reporter interrupted with some giggly thing like “Oh, how cool!”

Then the man said “Then the water will return in a rush and could take out everyone we see here on the beach and take them out to sea. Depending on how big the tsunami is it could damage buildings along the coast and many people if they are near the shore.”

The reporter stopped him and asked about the buildings. 
The good doctor then said something like “Well the buildings here in Santa Monica might be okay because if this hill barrier along the beach but it’s only a forty foot barrier. It just depends on the size of the tsunami, but aside from that, you might want to get someone to tell all these people to get the hell off these beaches!”

The studio cut away from the reporter then went on with the news. 
About 10 minutes later they went back to the beach reporter and he was alone looking like a scared puppy and the beach was empty except for a lifeguard truck that appeared to be patrolling the beach looking for stragglers. The reporter was saying how they were going to quickly leave once the studio cuts away. 

I would love to have a copy of that video. Priceless. 

I would think that after Fukushima people would be a bit more informed about the power of a Tsunami. But no. It amazes me that the human race has survived this long.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Why would you be concerned at 20’ asl?

The clubhouse is right beside the estuary, and we had a meeting and Bar BQ that evening. 

9 minutes ago, bgavin said:

#1 daughter is stationed in Guam.
She said no impact at all for them.
Surprising, considering their proximity to Tonga.

Cmon man, Guam is a floating island. It just bobbed above the waves. Jeez, thought everyone knew that.:o

Archived