SASS Wire Forum

A Strange Beast (revolver)

Half-Breed Pete just sent me this link.  Odd duck of a revolver ~ I've never seen one "on the hoof," and suspect it'd be a real challenge to shoot a match with a pair of 'em.  Just loading would be a bucket o' chuckles.  :huh:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921185829

image.png.9364a0faab05190c030641ed1c695bca.png

1 minute ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Is that one of them " specials" the British use to play Cowboy, 'cause they ain't allowed to have cartridge revolvers ?  :huh:

Huh!  Well, that's a better guess than I was able to come up with...!  :)

Gunbroker description says it's a 'parts project gun' -- I think it's an Uberti 1873 Cattleman New Model Black Powder Muzzle Loading

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002297696

image.png.a681cc63226b9ed4ff65ecdc5c1ccd36.png

ETA: ('Course, the Gunbroker description also says it looks unfired and that the timing and lockup are spot on. Nice drag mark on the cylinder.)

Why is it not legal? It's cap and ball. Holds six rounds. Bigger than 32 caliber.

Cabela's used to sell them. They also sold replacement cylinders and replacement hammers, so you could buy that (cap and ball, so no paperwork) and buy the other pieces (parts, so no paperwork), and have a nice 45 single action with no paperwork.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Why is it not legal? It's cap and ball. Holds six rounds. Bigger than 32 caliber.

Cabela's used to sell them. They also sold replacement cylinders and replacement hammers, so you could buy that (cap and ball, so no paperwork) and buy the other pieces (parts, so no paperwork), and have a nice 45 single action with no paperwork.

Ask SASS not my rules!!

Frontiersman Category Frontiersman Rules: - Any main match percussion revolver with fixed sights. - Revolvers must be shot Duelist or Double Duelist style. See Duelist description for required shooting technique. - Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun). - Must use a side-by-side, single shot, or lever action shotgun in the main match stages. - Any SASS legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable. Exceptions: - See “Sights” section of this handbook regarding “dovetail sights” - The 1873 Uberti percussion revolver is not allowed.

It is prohibited ONLY in Frontiersman!  Perfectly legal in other categories.

The frame is machined so that it won’t accept the hammer used in a cartridge gun. The cylinder must be removed to charge the chambers. I used a charging stand to load mine and capped it through the loading gate after reinstalling the cylinder.

It can be converted to cartridge by welding the frame and drilling and machining the recoil plate to accept a standard hammer. You then substitute a cartridge cylinder and check/correct the timing as needed.

With the proper tools, it can be done in a couple of hours.  It took me a little longer because I didn’t have a six inch drill of the correct size.  If you have one with the longer barrel, you’ll need a longer drill.

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

It is prohibited ONLY in Frontiersman!  Perfectly legal in other categories.

The frame is machined so that it won’t accept the hammer used in a cartridge gun. The cylinder must be removed to charge the chambers. I used a charging stand to load mine and capped it through the loading gate after reinstalling the cylinder.

It can be converted to cartridge by welding the frame and drilling and machining the recoil plate to accept a standard hammer. You then substitute a cartridge cylinder and check/correct the timing as needed.

With the proper tools, it can be done in a couple of hours.  It took me a little longer because I didn’t have a six inch drill of the correct size.  If you have one with the longer barrel, you’ll need a longer drill.

I stand corrected! :blush:

I almost bought one just to play around with but I got a 51 Navy instead!

They were also offered in the 1875 Remington configuration!!

That’s what I have.

OH! Once you convert it, it’s much more difficult to change it back, and unless you have a manufacturer’s FFL, you can’t sell or trade it legally!!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

OH! Once you convert it, it’s much more difficult to change it back, and unless you have a manufacturer’s FFL, you can’t sell or trade it legally!!!

I've heard that before, but I've also heard and if you read the law, at least the one I read, it's only illegal to convert for sale. If you convert for your self, shoot it a while decide to move on you can sell it. I'm not a lawyer, don't take my advice but I've seen a lot for sale on auction sites by FFL's who should know the law.

15 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I've heard that before, but I've also heard and if you read the law, at least the one I read, it's only illegal to convert for sale. If you convert for your self, shoot it a while decide to move on you can sell it. I'm not a lawyer, don't take my advice but I've seen a lot for sale on auction sites by FFL's who should know the law.

Exactly what I understand. If you done it for yourself no problem if later you decide to sell. 

41 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Couldn't you replace the Cylinder and Hammer?

The frame is machined differently and requires welding and re-drilling of the recoil plate/firing pin hole.  After THAT, you can install the cartridge style hammer.

It isn’t simple.

Archived