SASS Wire Forum

Sort of late for a strange one, but what the hell

Alpo

I've seen this scenario in a couple of books. Louis L'Amour Kiowa Trail had it. We have the grown sister and the brother who is about 10 years or so younger. Parents are dead, so sister is the head of the family. Sister gets married and husband adopts the boy.

Since they are a married couple, would they both have to adopt the boy? Thus changing the girl from being his sister into being his mother? Or could part of the married couple adopt, while the other part of the couple didn't? So the husband would be the boy's father while the wife would still be the boy's sister?

I'm My own Grandpa
It sounds funny I know
But it really is so
I'm My own Grandpa

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm My own Grandpa

You asked for it:

Now, many many years ago
When I was twenty three
I was married to a widow
Who was pretty as could be
This widow had a grown-up daughter
Had hair of red
My father fell in love with her
And soon the two were wed
This made my dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life
My daughter was my mother
'Cause she was my father's wife
To complicate the matters
Even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy
My little baby then became
A brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle
Though it made me very sad
For if he was my uncle
That also made him the brother
Of the widow's grown-up daughter
Who, of course, was my step-mother
I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa
My father's wife then had a son
That kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild
For he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother
And it makes me blue
Because, she is my wife
She's my grandmother too
I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa
Now, if my wife is my grandmother
Then, I am her grandchild
And every time I think of it
It nearly drives me wild
For now I have become
The strangest case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother
I am my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa

Frontier life had very few formalities. Likely her husband accepted responsibility for the boys actions and took on the mantle of 'teaching him what he needs to know' to be a man in the community.  

She stayed his sister and he was raised by his uncle. What's wierd about that?

I realize frontier life had a few formalities.

The story I'm reading now we have Tara, who is 23. Her little brother Derek is 13. Their parents are dead. She just married Aaron. Aaron told her that if Derek was okay with it, he planned to adopt the boy.

This is not frontier times. This is nowadays.

Ignoring, for the moment, that the wife is the sister of the perspective child, if the husband in a relationship wished to adopt a child, would the wife also have to adopt the child? That's the question I have.

Let's say Father Kit (picking on him simply because I know he's married) saw this little orphan kid and decided he wished to adopt it. Would his wife also have to adopt it, so that the two of them would be father and mother, or would the powers that be allow him alone to adopt it, making him the child's father and his wife the child's stepmother? B)

It's legal for a single individual to adopt, so yes, the male could adopt the younger brother of his wife, without her changing her status to the brother.  

I have more than one set of friends who have went through the legal process to adopt their own grandchildren, which in effect, makes them the siblings of the birth parent.  

I know a guy who divorced his wife, then married her mother, so he immediately became his own son's GRANDPA....  and you would not believe how ugly the mother-in-law was....

There are a few variables that come in here. State law and the Common Law which differs in many states. You have English Common Law in the North and East, Spanish Common Law in much of the Southwest. And French Common Law gets squeezed in there too.

Soooo, the answer is,  it depends.   

I feel so good to have answered your question.

I worked with a guy that started fooling around with his sister in law “wife’s sister” . He had kids with the wife and the sister . Made for some interesting family holiday get together stories. I’m sure it will confuse someone looking up that family tree 100 years from now. 

Not quite on point but many years ago my best friend in college got married to a woman with a child.  He adopted the child.  A few years later the woman dumps my friend and moves in with her ex-husband (i.e., the child's father)  After a divorce and remarriage the ex-wife now married to her ex-husband and child of the father sues for child support and gets it.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not quite on point but many years ago my best friend in college got married to a woman with a child.  He adopted the child.  A few years later the woman dumps my friend and moves in with her ex-husband (i.e., the child's father)  After a divorce and remarriage the ex-wife now married to her ex-husband and child of the father sues for child support and gets it.

I knew a fella in the Bay Area that happened to.  He married a gal with two or three kids.  He adopted the kids, then she dumped him.  Poor guy worked three jobs to pay the child support; he made a bunch of money and was dirt poor.  :unsure:      

On 1/16/2022 at 8:13 AM, Texas Joker said:

Frontier life had very few formalities. Likely her husband accepted responsibility for the boys actions and took on the mantle of 'teaching him what he needs to know' to be a man in the community.  

She stayed his sister and he was raised by his uncle. What's wierd about that?

Actually, he'd be his brother in law, not his uncle.

Archived