SASS Wire Forum

Toyota president on electric cars

Trigger Mike

I heard on the radio and then found the report on the internet some words the president of Toyota said regarding electric cars on Dec 17, 2020.  I didn't hear the radio report about it until yesterday,  so it took a while before I heard it.  

He said that electric cars have been hyped.  He added that this pushing them have not considered the amount of electricity they consume.  He said if all of Japan had electric cars, Japan would run out of electricity by the summer.  

He added Japan, would need to spend over 14 trillion yen to make it work.  He also added the cost would prevent many people from getting a car.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ain’t sayin’ I told ya’s so, BUT…..

Yup. Imagine the infrastructure needed to support an all electric car US. How many more coal fired and nuclear plants would have to be built to power the extra load requirements? :D

Matter of fact, a buddy of mine is an engineer for the coal fired plants of Southern Company and he told me they capture and have a use for the pollution they catch in the process of expelling water vapor.  

A unknowing friend of mine who was worried about pollution was surprised when I sent her his comments.  

I was asked recently “When are you going to consider an electric car?”

My response “When are you going to die so I can create  electricity from the decomposition of your body?”

The conversation ended at that point.  

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup. Imagine the infrastructure needed to support an all electric car US. How many more coal fired and nuclear plants would have to be built to power the extra load requirements? :D

And how many states can’t even keep up with the demand they have now ? Once again our politicians have put the cart before the horse 

33 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

And how many states can’t even keep up with the demand they have now ? Once again our politicians have put the cart before the JACKASS

THERE!  Fixed it for ya’!!

3 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Matter of fact, a buddy of mine is an engineer for the coal fired plants of Southern Company and he told me they capture and have a use for the pollution they catch in the process of expelling water vapor.  

A unknowing friend of mine who was worried about pollution was surprised when I sent her his comments.  

The electric car draws from the coal plant who is bottling their pollution and leaving it underground for future generations to deal with.

During my service to the State, as a duly designated Minion of Investigation I conducted investigations to get to the bottom of whatever issue troubled the overseers that day. Many had a common theme. Find out who was responsible, prove the facts of the case and present actual evidence of such to the Minions of Court.

A most common task was finding all of the participants. Often, I found it helpful to find out who benefitted from such action(s).

So I followed the money.

Who got paid? Who benefitted?

For instance. In order to sell your electric windmill, you have to convince people it's "better" than the current tech. More efficient. Cheaper. That sort of thing. Electrical service isn't a constant sort of thing. There are peak hours, early morning where everyone is taking a shower and wants hot water from their electrically powered hot water heater. Evening when everyone comes home and fires up the electric stove and oven to cook dinner. By monitoring usage across a community, power companies can deduce trends and anticipate where these peak hours happen and have power plants on standby to act on a moment's notice. If they guess wrong, somebody don't get their 'lectrical, LOL.

So windmills are a poor choice for this. Most electrical grids don't have storage of the energy (but that's coming) and it's basically right from the powerplant to your home or business. The generated capacity has to mostly match the load. More or less, kinda-sorta.

But with wind, you get power when Mother Earth wants to blow the wind. So these, over time are poor providers of energy. Never there when you need'em. And, when they die of old age, there are major parts that cannot be recycled. The best they can do is cut'em up into barely manageable pieces and bury'em in the dump like a dead cat.

Like lithium batteries. Know how much environmental damage occurs from that waste? How much it costs on the other end to do something with all those dead Tesla batteries? How much environmental damage occurs from mining and refining for use?

Oh yeah. Climate change. The ice poles will either get bigger or shrink. We'll all be popsicles or drown when the seas rise.

Last time I looked, all those people like AL Gore who promote these conspiracy theories have yachts, private planes, mansions. Even little greta seems to be doing good.

Myself, I have little use for a vehicle that needs to charge for six hours every three hundred miles and can't carry bricks, ten foot pieces of wood, yardage junk, several people and such. If I want to visit my friend in northern AZ an electric vehicle is out because there's no way I'm making a four hour trip into an overnighter because...charging.

If however your daily commute measures in two digits of miles, knock yerself out with a lectric car. Or golf cart. But I would submit that the way they seem to be trying to "coerce" people into electric vehicles that A the power grid cannot support and B does not meet the needs of the people who would drive them, that they are only interested in one thing;

making money for themselves and their cronies.

Just a few months ago Texas lost power to thousands of homes because of an ice storm, Remember?? I wonder what they did with their electric cars??

A friend of mine has a Ford with a hook up generator, that helped him a lot!!

California can not generate enough electricity to run air conditioners during the summer. Government says to cut back and only late in the evening when power demands are low. Well during the day they have to run all those office building and their air conditioning to keep people working for their taxes.

8 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I think we should go back to the horse!

It would bring back all those street sweeper jobs , just imagine the manure output in the big cities . The left clams cow flatulence causes climate change to demonize eating meat , I’m sure they would have a hissy fit about all those horses . The only solution the left wants is the solution the left wants . So much for uniting the country and following science 

5 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Myself, I have little use for a vehicle that needs to charge for six hours every three hundred miles

Or 45 minutes every 300 miles.  Surprised that you didn't use the overnight or longer for a 110 Level 1 charger.

5 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

can't carry bricks, ten foot pieces of wood, yardage junk, several people and such

So, anything smaller than a Deuce-and-a-half is right out.

7 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

My internal combustion engine goes 150K miles and needs replaced/rebuilt. Maybe $7k. A Tesla needs its batteries replaced $21,000.

Hers one guys solution.

the Line "Think you used enought Dynamite Butch?

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Just a few months ago Texas lost power to thousands of homes because of an ice storm, Remember?? I wonder what they did with their electric cars??

A friend of mine has a Ford with a hook up generator, that helped him a lot!!

Just out of curiosity, what does that generator run on when the battery is dead???

For a good illustration of the facts surrounding this subject, go over to the Team SASS forum and read completely, the OP in “Off Topic but shows how bad the lies are”!!

I have read many of these statements and verified a few of them for myself. I’ve never seen so many of them offered up in one article!!

On 1/15/2022 at 11:41 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

Wonder how long the car’s battery will keep the heater running when stuck in traffic jam during a snow storm?

nsidehook.com/article/vehicles/can

This is from Quora: "Worst case using an older Model S with resistive heat and not the 3x more efficient Model Y heating in 20 degree weather about 20 pct of a 80kw battery per day. This is 16kw per 24 hours and is true once the car is warm and kept warm.

In fact during the famous Texas Grid Collapse I used my P85 Model S for 3 days. Started at 96pct with a cold car. It took 4 to 6 pct to get the car warm. Used roughly 20pct each 24 hrs. Limited opening of the car doors.

So yes in camp mode fully charged one can get 72hrs and then some before camp mode disengages at 20pct.

I held the car at 70 degrees"

Apparently, from this article, Norway has done considerable research on it.  But since Norway is so tropical it might not mean much in the snow.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/vehicles/can-electric-cars-survive-winter

On 1/15/2022 at 11:41 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

Wonder how long the car’s battery will keep the heater running when stuck in traffic jam during a snow storm?

A lot longer than the gas engine will.

The battery packs are running a single small draw heater with the sole intention of creating heat - the gasoline is operating a large consumption item for the resulting heat that is a byproduct of operation.

And without choking the occupants out of a gas vehicle that is not moving and risking carbon monoxide poisoning by the tail pipe getting covered in snow.

Additionally with the use of home charging - the electric is much more likely to be at or near full charge than the gasoline car is likely to be full.

I am not a greenie or Elon Musk devotee - but I am realistic and I do my own research; the electric vehicle is the widespread future of automotive and the future is coming fast.

Archived