SASS Wire Forum

Do you care who owns it?

Alpo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Back in the 70's a bunch of us folks from work would frequent Paprikas Fono, a Hungarian restaurant in Ghirardelli Square.  The food was terrific, drinks were generous, decor interesting*....

One afternoon, as we were leaving after a great meal celebrating something or t'other, I boldly stuck my head in the kitchen - imagine my surprise when I discovered that every single person in the kitchen was Chinese!  But WOW could they whip up a great Hungarian menu!!  :lol:

*Walking out one evening, I noticed the whiskey-hazed fella ahead of me had developed an unusual gait.  It wasn't until we reached the parking lot that I realized he had swiped an antique flintlock rifle that had previously adorned a wall in the dining room.  He literally shoved it up the back of his coat - with every step the butt of the rifle would slap his butt and the muzzle would bonk the back of his head.  Evidently the staff didn't care... they'd pointed and laughed at him as he walked out.

I thought it was kinda rude of the fella... but what the heck.  :rolleyes:

Best pizza I’ve ever had was made by a Hungarian chef in Germany. :lol:

21 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I don't like Chinese restaurants run by Indians.

What we learned after BabyGirl lived in China: you look inside and see mainly Chinese faces, you go in.

22 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I pretty much won't enter shops that have non English writing on the windows etc 

I prefer Mexican restaurants or taquerias where the menu is in Spanish and where I'm usually the only Anglo in the place.

That's where you find the best, most authentic food.

If you go by during lunch time or just after 5 pm and there's a couple of trucks from some landscaping or concrete lying business out front, then you know it's good.  The Latinos on them crews know what the food should taste like and ain't gonna waste their money on something that don't remind them of home.

25 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I prefer Mexican restaurants or taquerias where the menu is in Spanish and where I'm usually the only Anglo in the place.

Used to have a place down the street from me called Taco Tex. I guess it was Tex-Mex food. It was good, but the people that worked there and the people that ate there were white. Then it got sold and the new place got sold and the new place got sold, and it was now called El Milagro.

And I go in there one day, and I'm the only white guy in the room. And as you say, the menus were in Spanish.

Food was good. It wasn't Tex-Mex, but it was good.

29 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That's where you find the best, most authentic food.

If you go by during lunch time or just after 5 pm and there's a couple of trucks from some landscaping or concrete lying business out front, then you know it's good.  The Latinos on them crews know what the food should taste like and ain't gonna waste their money on something that don't remind them of home.

I'd love to try some truly authentic Mexican cuisine.

53 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Interesting, I’d have thought TX more liberal than that. 

Sign has to have the exact verbiage below, Must be in block letters at least one inch in height with contrasting color, Be in both English and Spanish, and Be posted prominently at every entrance. Most signs are either 24"X24" or 18"X32". Pretty hard to miss.

Below is the verbiage Substitute 30.05 to prohibit the carrying of long guns, 30.06 For concealed carry, and 30.07 for open carry,

“PURSUANT TO SECTION XX.XX, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN), A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (HANDGUN LICENSING LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A
CONCEALED HANDGUN.”

There are also a few other signs that prohibit carrying a handgun. The most common is the 51% sign. Posted by establishments where more than 50% of the business income is alcohol sales. It hast to be 14"X8.5" 

Best burritos I ever had came from a place in Oxnard CA called the El Rio Drive Inn. They were bigger than a can of Fosters beer and very inexpensive.

Funny part was there wasn't a single Hispanic person working there. All the employees were Asian.

$ block from my house is a Taqueria. Excellent Street Tacos. Just don't try to eat there between 1130 and 1300 or 1700 to 1830. Place is so busy you can't get near it.

i was a general contractor most of my life , did a lot of government work as well as the commercial/industrial we specialized in , i got my fill of "prefered contractors" but i do tend to consider veteran owned when its noted , 

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Best burritos I ever had came from a place in Oxnard CA called the El Rio Drive Inn. They were bigger than a can of Fosters beer and very inexpensive.

Funny part was there wasn't a single Hispanic person working there. All the employees were Asian.

$ block from my house is a Taqueria. Excellent Street Tacos. Just don't try to eat there between 1130 and 1300 or 1700 to 1830. Place is so busy you can't get near it.

Some So Cal burritos are made with french fries in them.  One thing they can't get just right here in El Paso.

6 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Some So Cal burritos are made with french fries in them.  One thing they can't get just right here in El Paso.

I noticed, when I would visit Puerto Rico, that just about everything came with french fries. Chinese food came with french fries.

21 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ohioans for Concealed Carry has these cards available. I've handed them out to several businesses with sometimes good results and other times dirty looks! 

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

Just a little info, there was a car dealer who took down his No Gun sign and also a small grocery store because of these cards. Apparently I'm not the only one who was passing these out. It's one thing to avoid the businesses that don't allow guns but it's no good if you don't tell them WHY! 

Whether it's cards or emails or face to face they need to be told. Just avoiding them is not doing anything to actually change their mind. You gotta speak up!

8 hours ago, WOLFY said:

These were made with stir fried rice, refried beans, meat of choice, plus a wide range of veggies.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

These were made with stir fried rice, refried beans, meat of choice, plus a wide range of veggies.

Makin my mouth water... it's a C+copy but at least there's a chipotle up the road.   The french fries ones are more prominent as you approach San Diego (it replaces the rice).  My all time faves are from SF Mission District.

You're right, Alpo... it's very much a thing with PR as well as Mexico.

My company used to do a lot of work for the Fed's. In their infinite wisdom they actually require you to meet certain percentages of the contract to go to Minority, women, Veteran, Native American, and Disabled, and disabled Vets businesses. It was hard to meet the requirements because how many of these minorities actually work in the industry. We had one guy who would ask, 'what do you need'? We'd say native American and he'd go find one that would put him in as a partner so they could get the job!

Also we had to settle for less than steller firms as a result.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I noticed, when I would visit Puerto Rico, that just about everything came with french fries. Chinese food came with french fries.

Ate at a Mexican place near Camp Lejeune one time (and only one time). 

Everything came with steamed veggies instead of refried beans and rice.

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

A good burrito should be about the size of your forearm and come with a knife and fork- so you can open it up and eat it down until you can fold it back up to finish it without it going everywhere.

Archived