SASS Wire Forum

Do you care who owns it?

Alpo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the 70's a bunch of us folks from work would frequent Paprikas Fono, a Hungarian restaurant in Ghirardelli Square.  The food was terrific, drinks were generous, decor interesting*....

One afternoon, as we were leaving after a great meal celebrating something or t'other, I boldly stuck my head in the kitchen - imagine my surprise when I discovered that every single person in the kitchen was Chinese!  But WOW could they whip up a great Hungarian menu!!  :lol:

*Walking out one evening, I noticed the whiskey-hazed fella ahead of me had developed an unusual gait.  It wasn't until we reached the parking lot that I realized he had swiped an antique flintlock rifle that had previously adorned a wall in the dining room.  He literally shoved it up the back of his coat - with every step the butt of the rifle would slap his butt and the muzzle would bonk the back of his head.  Evidently the staff didn't care... they'd pointed and laughed at him as he walked out.

I thought it was kinda rude of the fella... but what the heck.  :rolleyes:

I don't pay much attention to the "whatever owned businesses" but if they have a NO GUN sign I avoid them like the plague! I know there's gov't buildings and libraries, schools etc. but if it's a business with a NO GUN sign forget it! I take my right to conceal and carry seriously!

9 hours ago, DocWard said:

Well, I first tried Black Rifle Coffee because it was veteran owned, and I liked their hilarious style. I keep drinking it because it is very good coffee.

Otherwise, I put more stock in reputation than the advertisement about who owns a business. If I were researching for a project and two businesses came up pretty much equal in reputation, price quote, etc... and one were run by a veteran, that business might get the nod.

Finally, I will say that we've all heard jokes about auto mechanics and how crooked they can be. Not as many as lawyer jokes, but... You get the idea. The mechanic that works on our vehicles was recommended to me by my former boss, who is the poster child for frugality. He wants work done well and value for his dollar. The mechanic also works on the vehicles of a slew of doctors, other lawyers and a couple of judges in town... People who could go anywhere they want. They do so because he is fair, does a good job, and will go the extra mile. He is also an example of what it means to be a practicing, as opposed to professing, Christian. But he doesn't advertise his shop as such.

AS a Vet , I will try a Vet owned business ( except Chair Farce ) over another hint BRC isnt one of them , Nor is the 22 a day or Wounded warrior project  money grabs .  I prefer smaller businesses , but it you feel the need to ohh woman owned Black owned , I will probably walk away  I see zero need to social signal who owns what and wont do one over another . Stay the heck out of social BS and do your service and product . simple 

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

We seek out local own family business when possible,  Cafes, diners, etc. Gunshops, instead of big box store. 

Absolutely!

Back in 2019,  TN Williams high school posted a "NO FIREARMS" sign on the front door.   Well, although he was only a couple months

from finishing the 11th grade, he quit and started going to another high school.

This summer, he graduates from Hooterville High and will soon thereafter enter Bucksnort Univ.

True story.  A  feller just can't make this stuff up.    Just ask his cousin, Blackwater.

..........Widder

15 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Back in 2019,  TN Williams high school posted a "NO FIREARMS" sign on the front door.   Well, although he was only a couple months

from finishing the 11th grade, he quit and started going to another high school.

This summer, he graduates from Hooterville High and will soon thereafter enter Bucksnort Univ.

True story.  A  feller just can't make this stuff up.    Just ask his cousin, Blackwater.

..........Widder

HEY!!!! WAIT JUST A CONSARNED MINNIT!!!

He’s Schoolmarm’s cousin, NOT MINE!!!

I know for a fact that he’s reconsidering Bucksnort U!!  There’s no DQ in Bucksnort!!!

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

HEY!!!! WAIT JUST A CONSARNED MINNIT!!!

He’s Schoolmarm’s cousin, NOT MINE!!!

I know for a fact that he’s reconsidering Bucksnort U!!  There’s no DQ in Bucksnort!!!

I knew that but its basically the same.   Anyhow, he's always bragging about your kinship..... :lol:

Ole TN told me he plans to major in 'Cheerleaders', and his Thesis is gonna be on "Why Pigs Snort".

Looks like he's got a good start.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don't pay much attention to the "whatever owned businesses" but if they have a NO GUN sign I avoid them like the plague! I know there's gov't buildings and libraries, schools etc. but if it's a business with a NO GUN sign forget it! I take my right to conceal and carry seriously!

In the State of Indiana a "No Gun" sign has NO state statutory enforcement.  In other words if you walk in legally armed the police can not arrest you for ignoring the sign.  BUT if  you get caught the property owner (or an owner authorized representative) can order you to leave and if you fail to do so you could be arrested for trespass.

Just now, Matthew Duncan said:

In the State of Indiana a "No Gun" sign has NO state statutory enforcement.  In other words if you walk in legally armed the police can not arrest you for ignoring the sign.  BUT if get caught the property owner (or an owner authorized representative) can order you to leave and if you fail to do so you could be arrested for trespass.

Same in Florida except the charge would be armed trespass.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

In the State of Indiana a "No Gun" sign has NO state statutory enforcement.  In other words if you walk in legally armed the police can not arrest you for ignoring the sign.  BUT if  you get caught the property owner (or an owner authorized representative) can order you to leave and if you fail to do so you could be arrested for trespass.

Does this process also work for Federal or State buildings, court rooms, etc..... ?

..........Widder

In Tennessee, the “No Guns” sign must be at least of a certain size and is required to meet a specific state mandated format.

If it doesn’t, you can be asked to leave by management, but can’t be arrested or charged for carrying.  Doesn’t require concealment either!

Federal and other government buildings are grounds have different standards.

16 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Does this process also work for Federal or State buildings, court rooms, etc..... ?

..........Widder

Nope. 

40 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Same here.

54 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In Tennessee, the “No Guns” sign must be at least of a certain size and is required to meet a specific state mandated format.

If it doesn’t, you can be asked to leave by management, but can’t be arrested or charged for carrying.  Doesn’t require concealment either!

That's Ohio in a nutshell also.;)

Ohioans for Concealed Carry has these cards available. I've handed them out to several businesses with sometimes good results and other times dirty looks! 

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

But he’ll be retirement age before he graduates.

I don't care if the sign is written on purple construction paper in orange crayon or whether it's got the force of law behind it or not.

The property owner or renter has made their wishes clear.  I'm not hypocritical enough to intentionally violate their right to control their property while claiming to do so as an expression of my own.

I don't make a scene or hand out little cards.  I just leave- and never come back. 

If asked why I walked in and immediately walked out, I point at the sign, wish them luck and tell them that they won't have to worry about me coming there ever again.

Did it to a gas station out in the country outside Opelika a years ago.  I saw the little sign in the window as I walked in and turned to leave. The owner saw me turn to go right back out and asked why, so I pointed at the sign and told him.  I drive by the place 3 or 4 times a week and ain't stopped there since.

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Back in 2019,  TN Williams high school posted a "NO FIREARMS" sign on the front door.  

They named a high school after TN Williams?! Or is that TN Williams' high school? Punctuation is SO important...:P:D

Sorry pard, I just couldn't resist after all the recent punctuation memes. ^_^

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Same in Kansas. As our CCW instructor said, "The sign is just a suggestion." 

An establishment has the right to virtue signal all they want, and I won't avoid a store based on a sign. But if an employee ever said anything to me, I'd politely let management know why I'd never go back. I call that customer feedback.

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

To echo this, there are a handful of places we've stopped going to due to this, or very political statements by the owner(s). 

58 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Same in Kansas. As our CCW instructor said, "The sign is just a suggestion." 

An establishment has the right to virtue signal all they want, and I won't avoid a store based on a sign. But if an employee ever said anything to me, I'd politely let management know why I'd never go back. I call that customer feedback.

In Tennessee, the proper sign is NOT a suggestion!!  You can be arrested and prosecuted for entering a business displaying the proper sign!!

I do care , but there are good and bad people in every classification mentioned. Cost , product quality and where it comes from also matter . It’s a pretty complicated sliding scale for me . Also not many people have the time and resources to accurately research every purchase. If I can avoid Chinese made I’ll do it , but that’s pretty much impossible in today’s economy .

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

Do y'all care?

Possibly.

Usually not.  

I do respect private property rights and people to have their own opinion, as I would hope people would respect mine. I can easily walk out of a place without feeling a need to antagonize people on the way out. That is no different of an act of virtue signaling than the acts of virtue signaling so often complained about. Affiliations, beliefs, etc are just superfluous information.  In reality, a business will either make it, or it won’t, and for far simpler reasons than the owners beliefs or demographics. And it takes a lot more than my patronage to see to any  one company’s success or failure anyway.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In Tennessee, the proper sign is NOT a suggestion!!  You can be arrested and prosecuted for entering a business displaying the proper sign!!

Yup, some states are like that and KS used to be one of them. About the same time open carry was approved a few years ago, the sign rule was revised so that it no longer has the force of law. The only places where it's enforceable is if the establishment has taken precautions to ensure the safety of those who enter. That means some sort of security apparatus like the metal detectors and guards common to courthouses, etc. Schools are exempt from this requirement, but as I recall there's a specific type of sign they're supposed to post.  As a practical matter, you'd have to be an idiot to enter a school with a gun. Imagine the response if someone saw yours and sounded the alarm.

Interestingly, the University of Kansas Medical Center (where I go for healthcare) is an enormous complex of doc offices, hospital, diagnostics et al posts signs that say "Open Carry of Firearms is Prohibited". I believe the open carry statement is enforceable under these circumstances. I could be wrong about that, but I won't open carry anyway, so it doesn't affect me. The only place where all firearms are forbidden is the ER, and they have the required detectors and guard. 

I'm sure most of the signs we see in stores & eateries are left over from before, and owners are either unaware of the law change or forgotten the sign is even there.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Same in TX. The proper sign is very specific and easy to recognize.

Archived