SASS Wire Forum

Do you care who owns it?

Alpo

Got a Sam's sales flyer. Three or four of things on sale, it says impressively, WOMAN OWNED BUSINESS.

Was driving past the garage the other day, and the illuminated sign out front said VETERAN OWNED BUSINESS.

And I have seen many, many many, businesses with a little fish on the sign - CHRISTIAN OWNED BUSINESS.

I don't care. The woman owned business in Sam's - if they make a good product. The veteran owned garage - if he does a good job on my car. The Christian owned plumbing business - if he can unstop my drain.

That's all I care about. I don't care who owns it. I care if they can do the job that I am hiring them to do.

Do y'all care?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do care who I spend my money with, especially with items or services where I have a choice.  Priority is good service or good product, though.  

If there are two businesses, say electricians, that do equally good work for the same price I might be slightly influenced by signs signifying veteran or Christian owned.  But only very slightly.  Even reputation might not matter much, because, as Niska said in "The Train Job", 

"You know what is reputation? Is people talking. Is
gossip. I also have reputation. And not so pleasant 
I think you know."

I don't care so much who owns it, I care if they do the job that they are paid to do. Just because a woman, veteran or Christian owns it bears little in my decision to use the business. Also, I have been burned more than once by self proclaimed  "Christian/veteran owned" businesses. I take that with a grain of salt these days.

Personally, I find solice in knowing that through word of mouth a highly recommended business is also Chritian based.

Our A/C was replaced by...

20190607_084104.thumb.jpg.be8209f1880370e04265298f29c3f199.jpg

I may ruffle some feathers with this post. That is NOT my intention.

I have worked for several independent employers, a couple of which promoted themselves as “Christian” or “Christian Owned”. I have also worked for more than one individual who would appear to have been as far from “Christian” on the surface as one could imagine!

One of those christian businesses was the biggest ripoff outfit I have ever encountered and I departed after only a VERY short time.

The other one was owned by a family of Gospel singers who also made a big production of their Christianity.  I learned that gospel folks take no greater pleasure than to put the screws to another gospel performer.  They also wanted to pay with prayers and took every opportunity to short their employees and get over on their customers.

The most “Christian” employer I’ve worked for never darkened the door of a place of worship, he rarely spent a day completely sober, cursed in terms that would make the saltiest sailor wince and blush, and hung out in bars and gambled constantly.  He NEVER lied to a customer, always delivered more than what was expected, would repair at no cost, a vehicle that returned even a year or more after the warranty  had expired, saying “It should’ve lasted longer ‘n’ that!” and literally gave someone the shirt, (or coat) off of his back on more than one occasion!!  He took care of his employees, his neighbors, almost anyone who was genuinely down on their luck, and was always anonymously charitable!

In reality, he was one of the most christian men I’ve ever known.

I seldom do business with those who broadly promote themselves as “Christian”!!  Been burned too many times!!

To me the idea of using your Christian beliefs as a marketing ploy in a commercial business is a total turn off, and I speak as a Christian. I wouldn't hire a service who did this.

In addition to using the faith as advertising, the message is also: non-Christians need not apply; obnoxious for a commercial business. The implication is that Christians will do a better job; ridiculous. Everybody has an equal right, and need, to make a living, and an equal ability to provide competent services.

Christian owned

Black owned

Woman owned

Minority owned

Disadvantaged business enterprise 

All do not mean much to me at all. 
Actually they mean less to me because I don’t give money to those that need sympathy or empathy to exist. 
If any business wants my money they need to prove themselves. Calling one’s business something to elicit emotion is not good business in my eyes. 

The sales pitches turn me off, mostly, but in the end don't matter to me if the service is good for the price charged.  I wouldn't mind seeing people put "we discriminate against [fill in your group of choice]" in their shop windows, though.  Those who think one person's money is better than another's -- those I'll avoid.

Anytime someone trots out an affiliation as a marketing ploy, one that has nothing to do with their business, such is as veteran, religious etc, I’m suspicious. Some of the biggest derelicts I’ve known have claimed their faith and membership in my church to disguise their lack of integrity. 

53 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I may ruffle some feathers with this post. That is NOT my intention.

I have worked for several independent employers, a couple of which promoted themselves as “Christian” or “Christian Owned”. I have also worked for more than one individual who would appear to have been as far from “Christian” on the surface as one could imagine!

One of those christian businesses was the biggest ripoff outfit I have ever encountered and I departed after only a VERY short time.

The other one was owned by a family of Gospel singers who also made a big production of their Christianity.  I learned that gospel folks take no greater pleasure than to put the screws to another gospel performer.  They also wanted to pay with prayers and took every opportunity to short their employees and get over on their customers.

The most “Christian” employer I’ve worked for never darkened the door of a place of worship, he rarely spent a day completely sober, cursed in terms that would make the saltiest sailor wince and blush, and hung out in bars and gambled constantly.  He NEVER lied to a customer, always delivered more than what was expected, would repair at no cost, a vehicle that returned even a year or more after the warranty  had expired, saying “It should’ve lasted longer ‘n’ that!” and literally gave someone the shirt, (or coat) off of his back on more than one occasion!!  He took care of his employees, his neighbors, almost anyone who was genuinely down on their luck, and was always anonymously charitable!

In reality, he was one of the most christian men I’ve ever known.

I seldom do business with those who broadly promote themselves as “Christian”!!  Been burned too many times!!

I’m with Blackwater. Been burned so many times by “Christian owned” places that it’s an actual strike against them in my book. 

Unless I am doing federal contracting and have to work with an 8(a), performance is all that matters to me.

Motels and hotels are notorious for posting American Owned and Operated. A lot of this is basically false advertising. Too many cheaper chains aren't worth staying in. A lot are rundown dumps and shouldn't even be allowed to operate. There are a few exceptions....but certain chains and some independents I stay completely away from.

I only use "Jewish Owned" Medical and Law service providers....:)

I do like "Italian owned" pizza places and "Muslim owned" mediterranean restaurants...

2 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

I only use "Jewish Owned" Medical and Law service providers....:)

I do like "Italian owned" pizza places and "Muslim owned" mediterranean restaurants...

I don't like Chinese restaurants run by Indians.

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I don't like Chinese restaurants run by Indians.

Here most restaurants regardless of the etnic designation are Mexican :)

long long time ago there was a Russian Restaurant in Chicago suburbs where two mexicans made sushi :)

1 minute ago, Last Call Saul said:

Here most restaurants regardless of the etnic designation are Mexican :)

long long time ago there was a Russian Restaurant in Chicago suburbs where two mexicans made sushi :)

I can't remember the last time I filled up at a petrol station (gas station) and it wasn't run by Indians. Don't know what they are going to do when cars are all electric.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I don’t care cause I hate everybody equally.

yeah he thinks he's Harry Callahan ;)

Had a auto repair shop here that had a sign "Democrat Party Hq" Haven't seen that sign in a long time.

Largo

Well, I first tried Black Rifle Coffee because it was veteran owned, and I liked their hilarious style. I keep drinking it because it is very good coffee.

Otherwise, I put more stock in reputation than the advertisement about who owns a business. If I were researching for a project and two businesses came up pretty much equal in reputation, price quote, etc... and one were run by a veteran, that business might get the nod.

Finally, I will say that we've all heard jokes about auto mechanics and how crooked they can be. Not as many as lawyer jokes, but... You get the idea. The mechanic that works on our vehicles was recommended to me by my former boss, who is the poster child for frugality. He wants work done well and value for his dollar. The mechanic also works on the vehicles of a slew of doctors, other lawyers and a couple of judges in town... People who could go anywhere they want. They do so because he is fair, does a good job, and will go the extra mile. He is also an example of what it means to be a practicing, as opposed to professing, Christian. But he doesn't advertise his shop as such.

Well….if it said Serial Killer Owned, I’d probably avoid it.

9 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

What matters to me the most is how they vote.  Good luck getting them to put that on their sign.

I feel the same way.   It they are known to be pro-active in anti-gun movements, I won't support them.

If they display Nazi symbols on their windows,  I won't support them.

etc.........

So yes, there are circumstances that would keep me from supporting a business, regardless of their prices and service.

..........Widder

I have stopped doing business with those that are known to be anti gun, push their beliefs on their customers, or openly support things I don't believe in.  The latest is The Salvation Army........and I have done tons of business with them over the years , donated a half dozen cars, always contributed to their buckets, and supported them in other ways. That all stopped this past year when they went PC crazy. 

For the most part, I could care less.

Now I am not a very religious person, but one of the few things that come to mind is a story in the Bible about the coin changers outside the church and the wealthy exchanging their coins to smaller coins so they could make make more noise and appear to be giving larger amounts when dropped in to the collection for each of their sins.  But the lady that came in and quietly place a coin in one collection plate for one sin and another collection plate for another sin was a better person for not flaunting her religion/status in life. For somebody that knows the story better than me, I hope I got it close to right.

Using your status to promote yourself or your business is nothing more than advertising to get more money/business.

The story Blackwater told had it right, it is about the person you are dealing with, not their status in life.

Archived