SASS Wire Forum

Fire Damaged Winchester

A friend had several firearms in a fire one of which is a highly engraved/gold inlaid 1895  Winchester carbine.  Belonged to his Grandfather who was active in the late 1900's Las Cruces Valley of New Mexico territory.   Needless to say all the wood burned up and even the gold inlays melted out.  He wants to restore it but after seeing what he did to the old spurs makes me shudder and I offered to explore his options.

First thing I think is get a Cody letter.

Okay, the action cycles and doesn't seem to be much damage there if any.  My concern is the temper of the metal now.  Can it be trusted or even rehardened?

Next up, who could do a nice restoration for him?

I looked up the melting temp of gold. Holy Cow! That's Hot!

The short answer to the question "What is the melting point of gold?" is 1,948 degrees Fahrenheit (1,064°C). 

https://www.goldrushtradingpost.com/gold_melting_point

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

If it got that hot I doubt it's safe to fire, nor can anything really be done to re-temper the metal. Time to restore it as a wall-hanger.

The metal can be re-heat treated and finished, but the parts would need to be separated and done separately, since their treatment will vary.  It is definitely not a DIY project, and it will be expensive, but as said above, you get what you pay for.  The gun's history surely warrants the cost of restoration.  Whether or not it can be a functional firearm again would be up to the restoration professionals. 

Lastly,  I would not trust a restoration selection made by an insurance company -- just saying

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I looked up the melting temp of gold. Holy Cow! That's Hot!

The short answer to the question "What is the melting point of gold?" is 1,948 degrees Fahrenheit (1,064°C). 

https://www.goldrushtradingpost.com/gold_melting_point

That is for pure gold.  The inlay was probably a lower carat gold which would have a lower MP.  For example, 18c melts around 1900 F.  10c melts around 900.  

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That is for pure gold.  The inlay was probably a lower carat gold which would have a lower MP.  For example, 18c melts around 1900 F.  10c melts around 900.  

Either temperature will play hobbs with the steel, though.  Fornicate it in a positive Z right well.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don’t understand this statement. Who did what to what spurs? Could you expand on this?

There is a picture of his grandfather in high top boots and cavalry spurs.  My friend decided to rid the spurs of crud and rust by sandblasting them thus removing patina and much history.  I'm afraid he might the same to the rifle or worse......start sanding and filing.

It can certainly be put back into shooting condition,if it hasn't be allowed to rust . 

But it won't be cheap, if it's to be done right . Is it worth doing ??? 

I think it is, especially if the are photos of it form before the fire ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived