SASS Wire Forum

New cartridge 30 Super Carry

Rye Miles #13621

I predict that it will be just as popular as the 357 SIG in about 5 years.  Maybe a bit more popular than a 40 S&W.

Not saying it's not a good round, but I don't think it will be able to unthrone King 9mm. Not since Pope FBI has blessed the 9.

If they make a conversion barrel and mags for a contemporary gun, I'd try it, though.  

Just proves nothing is new these days.

Aren't the numbers on the .30SC roughly the same as the .32WCF?

The last 'latest and greatest' bottom feeder round (the .40S&W) was a duplicate of the .38WCF.  Compare the period  .38WCF velocities to the original .40 load.  They are close enough that even the coroner won't notice the difference.

I figger the .30SC will work as advertised.  History shows the effectiveness of that diameter and weight bullet traveling at that velocity going all the way back to the 1880's.  The JHP's that are going to be used are coming from Federal, Remington and Speer, so it's not like their designs don't have a proven track record.

On the other hand, I also figger it's going to be snappy (have you noticed the operating pressure?) and pretty loud.  Not quite .30Carbine pistol loud but disconcertingly loud if you ain't ready for it.

41 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

A .32 caliber 100 gr bullet delivering 350 fpe. Yeah I'll stick with the 9mm and a few less rounds. Thats why you carry extra magazines. 

I feel the same way about my .45.  I'm very unlikely to be in any sort of prolonged battle and a mag in the gun and four more on my belt should see me through....and if I can get to my car I have another fifteen mags there.  (You never know when a shooting range will pop up along the way and I may want to practice a bit before I go back home.)

Another round that will be as popular as the 9mm Federal and the .327 Federal.  Does anyone even remember the 9mm Federal?  It was a 9mm with a rim for revolvers.  Those sold like hotcakes.

9mm-Federal-DSCN9014.jpg

Don't remember the 9 Federal but do remember the 327 Mag. Would actually buy a 327 if they would make one in SA. The ability to shoot about all the 32 rounds has some appeal to me.

They should have just made the 32 HR mag what it was and been done with it.

22 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Another round that will be as popular as the 9mm Federal and the .327 Federal.  Does anyone even remember the 9mm Federal?  It was a 9mm with a rim for revolvers.  Those sold like hotcakes.

9mm-Federal-DSCN9014.jpg

It was also intended for the international market for sale in countries where you can't own a gun chambered in a cartridge used by the military or police.  It's not a 9x19mm- because 9x19 doesn't have a rim.  Never mind that it's ballistically identical and the only difference is the rim.

It was definitely a swing and a miss but the concept seemed to be sound.

.327 is what the .32 Mag ought to have been- and the failure of the .32Mag tainted the .327 in the minds of many.

The gun industry is all about offering you things you don’t need but want . 
If we all just had one rifle, shotgun and hand gun life would be so boring. 
Heck you can spend as much or more accessorizing a gun these days as you do on the gun 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’m glad to see companies getting creative, but I don’t see a need that this will fill. 

Agree, but I see it as a good sign that they are trying to sell something we don’t need . Maybe it’s a sign the manufacturers are thinking we may return to a level of demand that they can keep up with 

10 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Agree, but I see it as a good sign that they are trying to sell something we don’t need . Maybe it’s a sign the manufacturers are thinking we may return to a level of demand that they can keep up with 

Hope springs eternal.:lol:

37 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Then why are .38 Spl or .45 Colt still ridiculously expensive?!?

While I'm all for new and interesting things, I question the wisdom of coming out with a completely new caliber while we're all still in the midst of an ammo shortage. Wasting valuable production time cranking out a new cartridge when we can't even find the existing ones doesn't seem to smart.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Then why are .38 Spl or .45 Colt still ridiculously expensive?!?

Because that’s what people will pay , as soon as it sits on the shelf for a while you may see the price come down . But between demand and the way inflation is going I think you’re looking at the new normal, at least for a while 

A solution looking for a problem is how I see it.

Sounds kind of cool. But just don't think it's going to go very far.

IF. BIG IF it does take off. And the ammo is reasonable AND IF it not hard to find.

And IF they are making enough pistols for it.

Might look at it at that point. 

A lot of IF's to get past. 

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The only time I ever jumped on the new caliber bandwagon was with the .300 Blackout. I think it's a great cartridge, but until prices come down and availability improves I've just got a big paperweight sitting in my safe.

In the AR platform I liked the 6x45 and 277 wolverine allot better.

So like a .30 carbine shortened & blown out to straight wall to call it .32 cal. ??

or a Hot-rodded , high pressure, .32 French long??

So we can have .30 Luger but in a "better" package??

hmmmm, lot of work for ??

All. lol

Just gonna use my .32acp Walther ppk/s .  I have a .380 barrel for it as well.    Or just carry my Mustang .380.   both use the same magazine.  and I have  8 mags for either one.     Why leave what is proven and works...

I will bet that like the .327 magnum and .32 magnum this thing will be loud as heck. The 9mm is quite loud indoors. More like a very loud and sharp crack.

In a stupid experiment I once fired a .32 Magnum, a .38 Special and a .45 ACP in my living room. The .32 Magnum was absolutely painful. The .38 a loud crack. The .45 a loud thump. I fired each one on a different day, so no, the .45 thump wasn’t from already noise numbed ears. 
I was in a shed at an IDPA match when some asshat fired a 9mm when no one had ears on. It was nearly as bad as the .32. 

When I did my test I wanted to know what would be the least disorienting sound wise to myself should I have to fire a gun in my house for defense. 

I had forgotten about my little test until today. 

it's a semi rimmed cartridge, I bet it'll chamber and fire from a 327 mag revolver.

I just don't see it replacing my 1911 .45 for Social Work.  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  With a 32, unless your bullet placement is absolutely perfect, all you're gonna do is piss the Dude or Dudette off.  A .45 on the other hand . . . . . . . .

On 1/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

9mm-Federal-DSCN9014.jpg

Yup.  I have a box of 9 m/m Federal       GW

7 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I just don't see it replacing my 1911 .45 for Social Work.  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  With a 32, unless your bullet placement is absolutely perfect, all you're gonna do is piss the Dude or Dudette off.  A .45 on the other hand . . . . . . . .

Also just pokes holes in people. 

Mostly, in my opinion, .30 Super Carry is the answer to the question very few people were asking. 

Looks like the ballistics are close to the .30 Mauser from 1896!

Archived