SASS Wire Forum

Frankford Arsenal Magnet

Buckshot Bear

When I was wet tumbling with steel pins I used this tool all the time and it worked well.  But since I changed to wet tumbling with "Brass Juice" I no longer need the magnet because I no longer use the steel pins.

I've had one for several years and it works fine. I still prefer to use the pins when wet tumbling. This picks them up just fine and releases them cleanly.

I have two.  I ordered one off Amazon trying to be cheap and save a couple of bucks.  It looked big in the photo in the ad!  Bought the bigger one a couple of days after getting the junior version.:P  Between them they do a good job picking up the pins and getting them back into the tumber.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.d044ad57cb6066f52cab23d847a3c428.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have two.  I ordered one off Amazon trying to be cheap and save a couple of bucks.  It looked big in the photo in the ad!  Bought the bigger one a couple of days after getting the junior version.:P  Between them they do a good job picking up the pins and getting them back into the tumber.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.d044ad57cb6066f52cab23d847a3c428.jpeg

Just bought the blue one off Amazon as well Larson.

Those pins are pesky little bastards! 

12 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

When I was wet tumbling with steel pins I used this tool all the time and it worked well.  But since I changed to wet tumbling with "Brass Juice" I no longer need the magnet because I no longer use the steel pins.

Yep. Same here. If you reload a lot, the pins add unnecessary time & effort for no return (in my opinion & experience).

If you are dunking the magnet in water deep enough that the water goes down the top shaft hole you have way too much water!!!  Drain it off.  When I was using a Dillon separator with water to help keep the pins from flying all over when I was done I just tipped the container up and drained off most of the water.  Now I use a separator with a lid so there is very little water at the bottom when I am done.

When I was wet tumbling with pins I use a Milk nut bag to collect the pins.  After tumbling I would put the screw on grate on the tumbler and dump the water and pins into the bag which catches all the pins that can come out of the tumbler threw the openings of the gate.  (The brass and some of the pins stay in the tumbler)  Then I would tumble the rest of the content in the separator.  Once all the pins were separated from the brass I would use the magnet to pick up the last of the pins.  It is much less work to only wet tumbling with "Brass Juice" and skip the pins.77392162_tumblermediabag.jpg.5a9bb91c815a15771ba7e27f3dcbe86b.jpg

Thanks all.....reason why I wanted to dunk it in water is still working out the best way of wet tumbling and working with these rascal pins and now and again I get the odd pins in the sink and the plugs in and the water is too dirty to be able to see the pins.

Three biggest causes of pins escaping;

When removing the lid from the drum. Just go slow when removing it.

When pouring the contents from the drum into the media basket.  I use my hand over the mouth of the drum to keep the contents from coming out until I have it almost vertical over the basket.

When picking them up whit the magnet. Now I pour water and all back into the drum.  Use a large funnel so that non miss the mouth. Then I pour the excess water out of the drum. Just use the magnet to get the few that fail to follow the water.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Three biggest causes of pins escaping;

When removing the lid from the drum. Just go slow when removing it.

When pouring the contents from the drum into the media basket.  I use my hand over the mouth of the drum to keep the contents from coming out until I have it almost vertical over the basket.

When picking them up whit the magnet. Now I pour water and all back into the drum.  Use a large funnel so that non miss the mouth. Then I pour the excess water out of the drum. Just use the magnet to get the few that fail to follow the water.

Thanks SD good suggestions, there's always a few stuck to the lid in the foam....take the lid off and hear tinkle tinkle as they land in the sink.

48 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks SD good suggestions, there's always a few stuck to the lid in the foam....take the lid off and hear tinkle tinkle as they land in the sink.

I put my drum in the bottom container of the media separator when I open it. Then the pins fall into it and not the sink.

6 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Questions:

3.  Why won't my magnet pick up my brass?!!!  :D

Because you are using a steel magnet instead of a brass magnet.  For three easy payments of $19.95 I can sell you a brass magnet.  For you I’ll throw in second brass magnet for FREE.  Just pay separate shipping and handling.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Thanks, Matt, that sounds Great!!!

Do you have a similar good deal on some beachfront property?
I hope there is no shipping fee for that...

No on beachfront…do have a bridge that just came on the market.  Seller needs the cash, you can get it for a steal if you act fast!

I have some swamp land in Florida you might be interested in!:ph34r:

Archived