SASS Wire Forum

Opinion - Rossi Overlander

Buckshot Bear

I used one the whole time I was actively shooting CAS and I liked it. It was slicked up by “nobody” & ran just fine. Hammers cocked with one hand (thumb), opened easily & shells just shucked out with a quick backwards movement. 

The Overland is still in production but not imported to USA since 1988.

There are 3 models which you can distinguish by the lug between the barrels and one has a Greener Lock bar.

The green is a hand eater because the bolt comes out the side of the receiver and is shaped to the receiver making for a very sharp round rod sticking out on the left side of the receive.

The thing will cut your hand without even trying.

The other two have lugs between the barrels.

One is full size and in my opinion the best of the three.

The last one has a lug between the barrels but is smaller.

This one is fine I just like the larger lug.

As far as smoothing I cleaned the up the barrel hinge because it was not straight across the hinge.

Took just a little filing with a small file.

The hammers have a rebound catch that I filed slowly down so the hammers did not rebound as far.

This is something to do very slowly in steps so as not to go too far.

The firing pin retaining nuts are very brittle and break if you tighten to tight.

I had my gunsmith make new nuts to stop this problem.

The are 2 barrel length. 21" and 28".

I believe the 21" is the Overland model and there is no sling ring.

If you want to work on the rebound notch on the hammers, remove the two front screws on the side plates.

Remove only 1 screw on one side lock plate.

The 2 front screws go in to the receiver and the back screws go in to a spacer tube that goes from lock plate to lock plate.

No need to remove both as the tube will stay on one side plate and pull through the stock.

I have shot only Rossi Overlands since I started cas.

But I had 2 long before I found cas.

I have a couple of 97s but I did not shoot them in competition. Well, maybe a few times just to do it.

Howdy Buckshot,

I have one like the photo. It has a Greener cross bolt. I love mine now that I have reconfigured and refinished the stock and antiqued the metal. I don't find the crowd bolt to be a problem for the way I run the gun (open, shuck the empties, load, close then swipe the hammers). That's a free opinion worth every penny.

Rev. Chase

58 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I have never seen one with a sling eye before.

If the price is right, I would buy it if it is not the Greener latch.

I would like to see the barrel lug.

Thanks Cliff Hangar.

The Greener locking lug was a problem for me because of the way I cock the hammers.

After dropping in the 2 rounds, I close the gun as I bring it up.

A soon as it is closed, I move my right thumb forward to the hammer.

I bring my left hand back until my thumb is on the hammer.

I cock both hammers at the same time using a thumb on each hammer.

The gun is still coming up to my shoulder and up to level on the target.

After cocking the hammers, I move my left hand forward at the target to be shot. (lifting the barrels)

When I run out of wood, (first finger on the barrel) I clamp down on the barrels which pulls the gun forward with my right hand finger is on the trigger.

The gun goes off at the first target.

Move on to aiming the second shot.

The Greener lock bolt was a problem because while cocking the left side I would drag my palm across the extended bolt.

Blood usually followed when I did not pay attention to clearing the bolt extension.

I have several Rossi shotguns.

I have had 2 Greener bolts and I sold those because the gashes where getting deeper as I tried to get faster.

I keep the large lug models.

The Greener bolt guns are very good guns.

I just can use them without getting hurt because of the way I cock the guns.

I have tried but do not cock the hammers using the 1 hand swipe over the hammers.

I prefer the 1 thumb per hammer positive pull to cock.

Just the way I learned and it works for me.

So far I like mine. Was stiff as all get out when I got it used. It was basically untouched. Polished up the hinge, chambers, and slight cowboy to the chamber mouths. 

20 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Got some more pics from the seller, I'm not keen on that barrel sling lug and reckon I'll pass on this one.

11.thumb.jpg.dff52b745892a5954cc285005760f07c.jpg222.thumb.jpg.e7a5b983b0f59f06e302fb27fb356831.jpg333.thumb.jpg.4feee42b4a95121422af76ad66bfa168.jpg

If you zoom in on the middle picture you can see the outline of the Greener locking bolt.

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Ah so it has the Greener locking log....thanks SD

From the The Hallowell & Co. Illustrated Firearms Dictionary

Greener Crossbolt - A slightly-tapered round bar, operated by the opening lever of a break-open side-by-side gun, passing transversely through the standing breech and a matching hole in a rib extension; to strengthen the lock-up.  

Scott's crossbolt operates similarly, but is square in cross-section.

A Kersten Lock operates on the same mechanical principle, but is more suitable for over/under or single shot guns.

1714338232_greener-crossbolt-AM-open-breech.thumb.jpg.d2289dd11d7fd4f15d88e2dba1669cbd.jpg

greener-crossbolt-drawing.jpg.a881b5a459441bec790454f7585d8870.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

From the The Hallowell & Co. Illustrated Firearms Dictionary

Greener Crossbolt - A slightly-tapered round bar, operated by the opening lever of a break-open side-by-side gun, passing transversely through the standing breech and a matching hole in a rib extension; to strengthen the lock-up.  

Scott's crossbolt operates similarly, but is square in cross-section.

A Kersten Lock operates on the same mechanical principle, but is more suitable for over/under or single shot guns.

1714338232_greener-crossbolt-AM-open-breech.thumb.jpg.d2289dd11d7fd4f15d88e2dba1669cbd.jpg

greener-crossbolt-drawing.jpg.a881b5a459441bec790454f7585d8870.jpg

Thanks SD

Howdy Buckshot,

That looks exactly like mine but with the sling mount. If it's got a good price on it, I'd jump on it Greener cross bolt one not. Underneath all that bulbous wood is the makings of a nice stock. If you find that the cross bolt is a problem for you, you can probably get your money back out of it if you want to sell it. Again, my free advise that is worth everything you paid for it.

Rev. Chase

Archived