Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

.22lr Category - Worth a Shot?


Possum Stu
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

The exact thing that initially attracted me to SASS was that is was NOT shooting 22s. Nothing seemed cooler at the time then the thought of shooting 44 or 45 caliber single action revolvers.

 

That was one of the things that initially attracted me to it as well. I started out shooting .45 Colt (against a lot of advice from folks on the Wire) and still shoot it. So the category I'm proposing wouldn't benefit me much, but I still like the idea of giving folks a less expensive option than what you and I chose, if it would get more of them to start (or keep) shooting CAS.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Possum Stu said:

 

That was one of the things that initially attracted me to it as well. I started out shooting .45 Colt (against a lot of advice from folks on the Wire) and still shoot it. So the category I'm proposing wouldn't benefit me much, but I still like the idea of giving folks a less expensive option than what you and I chose, if it would get more of them to start (or keep) shooting CAS.

 

While this is a good way to see what a small sampling of SASS Cowfolks think, we don’t get to make the decision at any level than local.  If this idea is something you think will work why not take it to the TGs and see what they think.  I’m not trying to Poo-Poo your idea in fact I agree with you, why not have it, but if SASS recognizes it then it has to be allowed at State Matches and above, otherwise they’ll just say that if the local club wants to do it then they can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

 

While this is a good way to see what a small sampling of SASS Cowfolks think, we don’t get to make the decision at any level than local.  If this idea is something you think will work why not take it to the TGs and see what they think.  I’m not trying to Poo-Poo your idea in fact I agree with you, why not have it, but if SASS recognizes it then it has to be allowed at State Matches and above, otherwise they’ll just say that if the local club wants to do it then they can. 

 

The SHB already states the following (emphasis added):

Quote

*Shooting categories offered at any match are ultimately at the discretion of the Match Officials to ensure the success and viability of each match individually.

SHB p.10

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

 

The SHB already states the following (emphasis added):

SHB p.10

 

PWB, I’m going to respectfully disagree with you with that, here’s my argument.  SASS has recognized categories that give definitions to requirements for a specific category.  Yes, while a MD can offer a shooting category to make a match viable, for arguments sake lets take it to an extreme.  A MD at a state match decides that B-Western’s costuming requirements are excessive so they decide to not offer it and they create a C-Western category with less costuming requirements.  So now you’ll have a state with a whole new category created just at the state level.  And if you follow that logic any MD can create a whole match without any SASS categories by just tweaking the definition of each approved category.   Imagine having Land Run with no SASS approved category.  So if that’s going to be allowed why have any SASS approved category?  

 

No, I think on a local level it’s one thing, but, once you get to state and above a category should be SASS approved, shooters have to abide by the guidelines, and if there isn’t enough shooters at a match to fill the category then it wouldn’t be offered.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Possum Stu said:

 

That was one of the things that initially attracted me to it as well. I started out shooting .45 Colt (against a lot of advice from folks on the Wire) and still shoot it. So the category I'm proposing wouldn't benefit me much, but I still like the idea of giving folks a less expensive option than what you and I chose, if it would get more of them to start (or keep) shooting CAS.

I agree. It gives new folks a chance to shoot. If they like it they'll save and invest their money in new centerfire pistols & rifles. It also gives folks with less financial freedom to participate and have fun that they may not be able to do otherwise especially in todays economy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

 

PWB, I’m going to respectfully disagree with you with that, here’s my argument.  SASS has recognized categories that give definitions to requirements for a specific category.  Yes, while a MD can offer a shooting category to make a match viable, for arguments sake lets take it to an extreme.  A MD at a state match decides that B-Western’s costuming requirements are excessive so they decide to not offer it and they create a C-Western category with less costuming requirements.  So now you’ll have a state with a whole new category created just at the state level.  And if you follow that logic any MD can create a whole match without any SASS categories by just tweaking the definition of each approved category.   Imagine having Land Run with no SASS approved category.  So if that’s going to be allowed why have any SASS approved category?  

 

No, I think on a local level it’s one thing, but, once you get to state and above a category should be SASS approved, shooters have to abide by the guidelines, and if there isn’t enough shooters at a match to fill the category then it wouldn’t be offered.  

 

That statement means exactly what it says and stands in spite of the notion of taking the allowance to some ridiculous extreme.

It doesn't refer to "tweaking the definition of each approved category".

Additional "non-approved" categories have been offered at the sanctioned match level for some time now (e.g., Josey Wales, Outlaw, et al).

The statement allows doing so.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

 

While this is a good way to see what a small sampling of SASS Cowfolks think, we don’t get to make the decision at any level than local.  If this idea is something you think will work why not take it to the TGs and see what they think.  I’m not trying to Poo-Poo your idea in fact I agree with you, why not have it, but if SASS recognizes it then it has to be allowed at State Matches and above, otherwise they’ll just say that if the local club wants to do it then they can. 

 

Thanks. No worries, I don't take your response as you trying to poo-poo the idea. I know this isn't where the decisions are made at a SASS-wide level, but I was interested to know what others are thinking, and I'm encouraged by how much support exists for this idea. I'll take it to my TG and see if it makes sense to him. I like the idea of it being official - I know when I was first looking into SASS, I read through the SHB to see what kind of gear was allowed/required before I started shopping for my guns. Having it as an official category in the SHB would help prospective shooters who are in the position I was in.

 

39 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I agree. It gives new folks a chance to shoot. If they like it they'll save and invest their money in new centerfire pistols & rifles. It also gives folks with less financial freedom to participate and have fun that they may not be able to do otherwise especially in todays economy.

 

Agreed. It would take some of the financial risk out of getting geared up to shoot without having to wait quite as long to save up, and those who decide to upgrade their guns and switch categories can always do so later. And who knows - we might end up with some people who choose to stay in that category for whatever reason, just because they like it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well .22 was a caliber in the old west, maybe just for derringers or pocket pistols but it was around back then so there’s that….just sayin’

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I ever did get to do a .22 match, I'd have to decide which rifle to use.

22s.thumb.jpg.04f94476489fa33d8925e090451a7114.jpg
 

Colt Lightning
Colt SAA
Uberti 66
Colt SAA
Winchester 9422

The Lightning is in .22 Long.  The Uberti is .22LR and the Winchester, (which I have to take the receiver sight off of) is .22 S,L,LR

I just got the Winchester after looking for one for a long time.  I have another I got when I was 12 from my Dad, but it's a .22 WMRF, and thus not usable.

Pistols of course can handle all three cartridges as well.
Guess I need to find some CB Longs.  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like a 22 category also. Right now, my SASS shooting days are limited due to arthritis in my hands. I've sold off my 44-40s and 45s since I can't shoot them anymore. And my 12 ga. is just as hurtful as the handguns. The only thing that doesn't bother me is the rifle. So, a 22 category would be a gift from SASS to me. I'd want it to be a non-shotgun category, and I'd assume that participants in the 22 category wouldn't be scored with the rest of the shooters. We'd just be shooting for the fun of it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stu, I like the idea of making it easier for people to get into the game. Not trying to be what you see it the left side of your first picture, but I think you hit a wrong button on your calculator. If I didn't hit a wrong button, the startup cost for 22's would be $1,109.00. That's still a lot easier to handle, and you could sell them to a new shooter if you decide to move up or get out.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Stu, I like the idea of making it easier for people to get into the game. Not trying to be what you see it the left side of your first picture, but I think you hit a wrong button on your calculator. If I didn't hit a wrong button, the startup cost for 22's would be $1,109.00. That's still a lot easier to handle, and you could sell them to a new shooter if you decide to move up or get out.

 

Thank you! Good catch - I left one of the .22 revolvers out. I've edited my original post to reflect the correct total.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.