SASS Wire Forum

.22lr Category - Worth a Shot?

Possum Stu

A couple weekends ago, Little Red and I were in Logan, UT and visited the American West Heritage Center, just south of town. They were offering horse-drawn sleigh/wagon  rides back to a small replica frontier town where hot chocolate was served, and people could hang out around campfires. Being in a place like that always gets me thinking about CAS, and I started thinking aloud about how to get more people into the sport. A few minutes into this, Little Red gave me a look that told me I was missing something obvious, and pointed out the high cost of guns, reloading gear, and components and how that could be a barrier to many of the younger crowd we often say we want to attract to SASS.

So I looked at what the guns would cost online, and just looking at guns, a complete set of .22lr guns cost half to a third of a set of centerfire SASS guns, depending on what you get.

.22lr guns:

Ruger Wrangler - $199 each at PSA (x2)

Henry .22 Lever Rifle - $349 at Cabelas

Stoeger Coach Gun - $362 at gunswarehouse.net 

Total: $1109

centerfire guns:

Uberti Cattleman - $499 each at Impact Guns (x2)

Uberti 1873- $1300 at Impact Guns

Stoeger Coach Gun - $362 at gunswarehouse.net 

Total: $2660

I'm willing to bet that if a college student or young family is looking into SASS and spooked by the initial startup cost, this category would make it much easier for them to get started. This seems especially true with the current difficulties in getting primers and other reloading components. This would also be great for recoil-sensitive shooters. 

I know SASS probably has too many categories already, but this is one I think would be beneficial. I have heard that during the ammo shortage, some clubs have allowed .22s. Is there any downside to making this an official category?

IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

Love the pictures!

I'm very much in favor of a SASS recognized .22LR category as you've described it based on the guns you listed. I started what ended up being a long thread on this a while back; I think we're in the minority much to my disappointment. 

But I'm glad you brought it up again! Maybe enough people will see these types of posts that eyes can be opened.

Thunder River Renegades has a .22 category.  Shoots along with the rest of the categories.  They don't have to knock down plates on plate rack, everything else is same.

During these "interesting times" we want as many cowfolk as possible to be able to enjoy our sport/hobby/obsession as possible.

I think it would be a great idea.  I sent a message to Misty about a .22 category for adults a few months ago, but never heard anything back from her.  Frankly, I think it would also be a good way to keep older shooters in the game; those on fixed income and/or dealing with various limiting medical conditions.

I also don't think those shooting .22 would have any problem not being counted with the centerfire folks at scoring time.

Things aren't getting better for the shooting sports in general in my opinion, and if there is something SASS/CAS can do to keep and maybe even add members, it should be carefully considered. 

There is no difference in scoring, other than the rifle is not very loud. I have see .22 well surpass the SASS requirement of shooters shooting mouse fart loads. I got two Wranglers and 20k rounds of .22lr at .03 per. for practice. Then all this Covid crap hit. I will not shoot .22 at monthly or other matches till I can't load  center fire.

I've always thought that it would be fun to shoot a match with .22's.   Even if I would only do it once in a while, I think it I would enjoy doing it on occasion for variation.

I've got a pair of Colts and four different rifles I could use.   Curious question; do we retain the normal 12 gauge, or go with a .410?   I am cool with either option.

We should be doing what we can to promote growth in CAS. 

A Rimfire category should allow more participation from new and existing shooters as well. It might also reduce the number of shooters leaving the game due to ammunition availability. 

I'm all in favor of a 

.22 category, but the problem I see and have had mentioned to me  by prospective new members, is this;

If new shooters don't already have the firearms to start shooting CAS,they would have to spend about $1K to get started in the .22 class.

If they want to progress to the center fire categories, they would still have to pay for a whole different  load out,( maybe minus the shotgun). In effect "buying in" twice.

As I said, this has been mentioned to me a couple of times when I suggested . 22 to prospective new shooters.

Just a thought.

Choctaw

All for it! A great idea and not new. Our local club allows it in these trying times. Hey, more shooters, more fun, more opportunities, everybody wins! Even gun and ammo makers.

Blast. What do you mean by the following sentence in your post?

"I have see .22 well surpass the SASS requirement of shooters shooting mouse fart loads."

Also prospective new shooters probably aren't going to be able to shoot 22s at a cost of 3 cents per round.

1 hour ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I'm all in favor of a 

.22 category, but the problem I see and have had mentioned to me  by prospective new members, is this;

If new shooters don't already have the firearms to start shooting CAS,they would have to spend about $1K to get started in the .22 class.

If they want to progress to the center fire categories, they would still have to pay for a whole different  load out,( maybe minus the shotgun). In effect "buying in" twice.

As I said, this has been mentioned to me a couple of times when I suggested . 22 to prospective new shooters.

Just a thought.

Choctaw

That's a choice they'll just have to make.  Besides, if they can't afford the guns, they sure won't be able to afford the ammo now.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I've always thought that it would be fun to shoot a match with .22's.   Even if I would only do it once in a while, I think it I would enjoy doing it on occasion for variation.

I've got a pair of Colts and four different rifles I could use.   Curious question; do we retain the normal 12 gauge, or go with a .410?   I am cool with either option.

Have you priced .410 shotgun shells? They are more expensive and harder to find than 12g.

Kajun

12 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Our club allows shooters to use .22 if they are to low on centerfire ammo but we set it up as a separate match and score it separately.

Randy

This is what several clubs in my area do also! 

If it brings new folks in or keeps current pards shootin’ then I’m for it.  

For me personally I don’t think I’d shoot .22’s for a couple of reasons:  

1. Never seen a BP .22

2. Can’t load a .22 to Warthog status 

3. I fumble .45’s on a rifle reload, can’t imagine how many .22’s I’d drop trying to get one in the gun on the clock

All of the local clubs I shoot at have a .22 rim fire class. Two single action .22 pistols, a .22 lever or pump rifle, and a SASS approved shotgun is all that is needed. We probably have 4 or 5 folks at every match that shoot .22's. Many are older folks, don't reload, can't find or afford ammo these days for their regular SASS firearms, so it allows them to shoot. Frankly I see nothing wrong with allowing it at monthly shoots. I shoot 22's 2 or 3 times a year for a change of pace. I enjoy the change.

well,  to get new shooters started, why not bring your .22's and ammo to the loading table.    let the newbies load and shoot them as a loaner for the first time.  If they have fun they are hooked. then will find a way to but what they need. Just as we do for the center fire guns we use.  Just a thought. we always say we try to do what we can  to help new folks.   try to share the wealth.  Study on it.

11 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Have you priced .410 shotgun shells? They are more expensive and harder to find than 12g.

Kajun

Agree.  So drop the requirement for a shotgun in the rimfire category.  The old cowboy movies that inspired our sport showed gunfights using rifles and revolvers anyway.  

have always found .410 to be more costly than  12ga. or 20 ga.    and lets not even start on the 16 ga.

1 hour ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

All of the local clubs I shoot at have a .22 rim fire class. Two single action .22 pistols, a .22 lever or pump rifle, and a SASS approved shotgun is all that is needed. We probably have 4 or 5 folks at every match that shoot .22's. Many are older folks, don't reload, can't find or afford ammo these days for their regular SASS firearms, so it allows them to shoot. Frankly I see nothing wrong with allowing it at monthly shoots. I shoot 22's 2 or 3 times a year for a change of pace. I enjoy the change.

This. 

26 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I use .444 Marlin brass....  I suppose you could even use .45 Colt with shot capsules.

Interesting...use 45 Colt with shot capsules.  I have never seen any details on how to do that or what that cost would be compared to actual shot shells

Kajun

31 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Interesting...use 45 Colt with shot capsules.  I have never seen any details on how to do that or what that cost would be compared to actual shot shells

Kajun

460 S&W magnum would probably work too.

Our club started allowing 22's back when ammo disappeared,  I only had one 22 revolver and I paired it with a 45 for a couple of matches!  We have not had any issues with the timer not picking up LR's in rifles, but one time I used shorts in single-shot 'stage/ guest' (I chose it because they were the best at reliably ejecting), the shorts did not always register on the timer.

Both of the clubs I am involved with allow non-magnum 22 rimfire revolvers & rifle in any non-FC category & have for over a year.  In that time, we have only had 1 shooter use that option.  Take it for what it's worth.

Holler

We do it regularly - let folks shoot 22s if they are short on centerfire or have any other issue preventing them from using centerfire. Plus, we hold an annual Spring 22 match just to get things started...nothing to pick up but shot shells. No one is left out and everyone gets to shoot and enjoy the day.   :)

JC

When the Dalton Gang was still active, we had a Chili Shoot in March with .22 as finding brass in the snow was useless. It was a lot of fun. Wish I had my Widder soft stroke Henry then!

I shoot my level 22s a few times a year 

I stocked up on 22LR at $1.25 a box  back when the D word store sold aguns and ammo 

here are mine  the middle rifle in a Uberti  silver boy  not a cheap gun 

22 lever.jpg

Most of the clubs around here offer a .22 category.

Our club has had one for years. 

I am all for it and have shot it. 

BUT.

I will say. I hope it stays at the local monthly match level only.

Hobby's cost. That's a fact. SO is they can only afford to shoot .22's.

That's fine. 

But State and above to me should stay as it is. With main match guns.

Just my opinion.

19 hours ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

Love the pictures!

I'm very much in favor of a SASS recognized .22LR category as you've described it based on the guns you listed. I started what ended up being a long thread on this a while back; I think we're in the minority much to my disappointment. 

But I'm glad you brought it up again! Maybe enough people will see these types of posts that eyes can be opened.

Thank you! It was a beautiful day up there. 

Thanks, I hope so too.

19 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Thunder River Renegades has a .22 category.  Shoots along with the rest of the categories.  They don't have to knock down plates on plate rack, everything else is same.

During these "interesting times" we want as many cowfolk as possible to be able to enjoy our sport/hobby/obsession as possible.

Exactly my thoughts.

18 hours ago, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

I think it would be a great idea.  I sent a message to Misty about a .22 category for adults a few months ago, but never heard anything back from her.  Frankly, I think it would also be a good way to keep older shooters in the game; those on fixed income and/or dealing with various limiting medical conditions.

I also don't think those shooting .22 would have any problem not being counted with the centerfire folks at scoring time.

Things aren't getting better for the shooting sports in general in my opinion, and if there is something SASS/CAS can do to keep and maybe even add members, it should be carefully considered. 

I agree with this. I think it opens our sport up to a wider pool of potential members (and might help with retention) without taking anything away from the sport.

18 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

My thought was that any main match shotgun could be used. I assumed 12 gauge would be easiest and cheapest for most folks.

17 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I'm all in favor of a 

Just a thought.

Choctaw

I've had similar thoughts, and am generally a proponent of "buy once, cry once", but I think in that situation, the shooter should be able to sell their .22 rig to another new shooter without losing too much, given how guns seem to hold value. That said, it is a potential problem for some people.

Archived