SASS Wire Forum

aluminum carrier for 73??

Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945

I have one '73 with an aluminum carrier and one with an original carrier which was milled to make it lighter.  The aluminum carrier, at least mine, has been worn down in spots, but the lightened original carrier is the same as new.  Either one works as far as levering goes.

My own preference for whatever it is worth is milled down original. It feels better than the aluminum ones I have tried. 

If you have been using one for a length of time, there's a good chance you'll feel the difference, real or imaginary, & will prefer the one you have been using. If you're new to the game, you could flip a coin. I've been using aluminum ones for 9 years, with a preference of Cowboys & Indians over the Pioneer. I decided to try a new rifle with a brass carrier, milled & slicked, & my mind believes I can tell the difference, real or imagined. I prefer the aluminum C & I carrier. And, some believe the aluminum versions don't last. Some of mine have most or all of the anodizing worn off & show some dings here & there, but they still work as new. If you have the opportunity, you might want to shoot one with the aluminum before you convert your gun(s), & be sure you're comfortable with it. Also, you may be lucky with a first fit, or you may have to re-time your rifle. And, the extractor can sometimes be a variable that makes things interesting in fitting a new carrier. Good luck on your decision!

1 vote for brass.   Spent the money on primers instead.   Tried aluminum but thought they wore to much    GW

I have been shooting with aluminum carriers in all of my short stroked rifles for over 15 years. Yes, they show some wear but it has not affected their operation. When you short stroke a '73 some of the mechanical advantage is lost from the lever as you are not moving it as far. The aluminum carrier is at least 25% less in weight that even a milled brass carrier. It takes less effort to operating the lever of the 73.

Check with most cowboy gunsmiths, they usually install a aluminum carrier with the short stroke kit.

TB

I've used all three-- the unlightened original bronze one, the milled and lightened bronze one, and the Cowboys and Indians aluminum version.  I don't see a real lot of difference between any of them.  The bronze versions seem to have less surface friction, which I suspect helps rounds slide in a bit faster and perhaps helps avoid an occasional jamb.   But in my experience, jambs are almost always from bad ammo. 

I've continued using the C&I aluminum one, with an occasional shot of Hornady One Shot case lube.  The case lube after every other stage does way more to speed up the levering than the choice between carriers, IMHO.   The lube liquifies and mobilizes the solids deposited on the outsides of the carrier by blow back, almost eliminating up and down friction.   Major +.

I have used stock carriers, milled carriers and aluminum carriers. Stock weigh the most and if you are (with some exceptions) not trying for the caddy are reliable and came with the gun so no additional cost. Milled carriers, if done correctly, reduce the weight you are moving, which generally equals a faster lever speed than stock and allows the lessened leverage of a short stroke to still be adequate to the task. Haven’t priced them lately but the modification is not free. Note that if you are using either type of brass carrier with a C&I short stroke you will need to modify them following the instructions on C&I website. Aluminum carriers take the light weight thing to the limit but they do wear out occasionally. Time to replace will vary with how many rounds you shoot and the quality of your action job. Right now the going price is about $65. I have used predominantly aluminum for the last 10 years and the  “feel” of the brass ones is a bit “off” for me but YMMV. 
Regards and happy shooting 

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I have ran the same aluminum carrier in my 73 for over 10 years. I have shoot more than most.

Still in good shape.

Cowboy and Indians is the ONLY one I would go with. 

Got a new 73 this year. It has the milled brass. I like it also. 

A lighter Carrier Block may be one or two ten thousands of a second faster.  That becomes academic.  There is some simple physics involved.  An object at Rest tends Bla Bla Bla.  The heavier object resists starting it's journey.  Once in motion, the increased inertia causes the object to complete the journey with more authority and more "shock" when it stops.

Where you finish on the podium, or even if you make the podium, will not hinge on the lightness of your Carrier Block.  It's all determined by whether you hold your tongue right.

I prefer the "feel" (an intangible) of the Brass Carrier Blocks, whether lightened or not.

I use a milled out stock Bronze (Brass) carrier. I tried an aluminium carrier and it seemed to work OK, but my pal, Ol #4 convinced me that the Brass carrier was smoother and a much better choice so I bought one of his milled out carriers. He also sold me an extended warranty on the carrier and did the financing on the package at a good rate. He is just a really helpful guy. 

Snakebite

Blackpowder fouling wipes off an aluminum carrier easier than off a brass carrier.  The brass carrier can corrode, aluminum doesn’t.

Just to keep things interesting: Sometimes a rifle can be too fast for the user. Some shooters just need more resistance when levering. Of course, you can always just tighten up the mainsprings a bit to fix this. I've seen a few shooters who bought a slicker rifle than they were used to & were jacking rounds all over the place. they had to slow them down (mainspring) until their skill level caught up to the rifle.

25 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

Just to keep things interesting: Sometimes a rifle can be too fast for the user. Some shooters just need more resistance when levering. Of course, you can always just tighten up the mainsprings a bit to fix this. I've seen a few shooters who bought a slicker rifle than they were used to & were jacking rounds all over the place. they had to slow them down (mainspring) until their skill level caught up to the rifle.

I know what you mean. When I had mine in I would often get to going so fast that I would move on to the next gun before the rifle was finished and just let it go ahead and make the last couple shots on it's own.  It got me into trouble with a lot of DQs for a round in the chamber without my hands on the gun.  :blink:

OP the only way to determine if you will like an aluminum carrier is to try one in your gun.  No one knows how your gun is tuned and no one can know if it will "feel" good to you.  Shoot it for a few months and if you don't like it sell it in the classifieds or give it to a friend.  Gun parts are not an investment they are an expenditure and $65.00 in the overall scope of things is insignificant.

5 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Or go with a Titanium one :) - Lighter than milled Brass - doesn't wear like aluminum.

What length of mortgage is available from the vendors?

On 1/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945 said:

I have never used an aluminum carrier in conjunction with a short stroke kit.  Are they worth the investment?  I assume they make levering the gun much easier.  What are the pros and cons with them?

Well...I put one in my '66 and didn't care for it.  After using the '66 for 15 years with a solid brass carrier the aluminum carrier felt and sounded "wrong".

Just had my Gunsmith (Coyote Moon Gun Works) check the my aging '66 over.  He suggested an aluminum carrier could improve the cycling.  I'm thinking about reconsidering my previous 5 year old decision. 

16 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

What length of mortgage is available from the vendors?

Quick Al Bore Internet search:

Brass carrier, $46.25

Aluminum carrier, $67

Titanium Carrier (grade wasn't listed), $175

39 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Quick Al Bore Internet search:

Brass carrier, $46.25

Aluminum carrier, $67

Titanium Carrier (grade wasn't listed), $175

What is that in small pistol primers?

:D

Seriously though, with the talk about the wear on brass and aluminum carriers, is there any concern with the titanium carrier wearing the receiver out?

I prefer the aluminum but found that they do wear a little more in SOME guns but not others.

The lighter brass is definitely better than the stock and holds up very well.

For nearly all of us (who are Borg's), the most important thing is smoothness and efficiency.  Normally we don't need to get splits below .20 seconds and can be very consistent with splits below .3.  So it greatly depends on what helps you the most.  I prefer as little weight as possible even if it means I replace the carrier every 8 - 10 years. (that was when I shot a lot more). 

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

What is that in small pistol primers?

Brass carrier, 617 primers

Aluminum carrier, 895 primers

Titanium Carrier (grade wasn't listed), 2,334 primers

Archived