SASS Wire Forum

Colt Python

I bought a new Python last week. Finally got warm enough to hit the range and try it out(40 deg). First thoughts, I realy like this gun, just not the grips, they look good but are to thick in front of the frame and recoil causes the trigger guard to hit my knuckle. I can't attest to accuracy, I'm starting to shake too much and it was still cold but when I was real careful it showed good signs. I also had a poor selection of ammo, just seeing if it wood work at all. The single action pull is not as good as my old Python, it's not even as good as the King Cobra I used to own, but not terrible. The double action pull is great, I actually shot better groups double action than single action. Very smooth action, good looking seems to shoot well, whats not to like?

I needed to load some ammo to try it out and all my suitable powder was 20 or more years old so I only loaded a hand full to make sure it would work. AA#5 worked good, unique was fine, but I tried some AA#9, Accurate book does not call for magnum primers which I thought was odd. Every round sounded like a different load.  

Love my 4.25" Python.  This photo was the first six 357 Magnum rounds I fired from it after sighting it in with 38 specials.  Ten yards, unsupported.  

python first rounds.jpg

I had a Python that was made in 1996 that I bought last year. It had the Colt rubber grips on it. The gun shot great but the grips felt so uncomfortable that I sold it. I doubt I'll buy the new one.:mellow:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I had a Python that was made in 1996 that I bought last year. It had the Colt rubber grips on it. The gun shot great but the grips felt so uncomfortable that I sold it. I doubt I'll buy the new one.:mellow:

The same grips fit the old and the new one.  I currently have an older set of walnut Python grips on my 2020 Python, just to keep from beating the new ones up.  I had a mid 80s Python with the factory rubber grips.  They were awful.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You sold a gun because you didn't like the grips? The most easily changed most common part? 

The factory grips are glorified plywood, I may just sand them down. Had the same problem with my 629 hated the factory grips, rubber was worse, found a set of what looked like home made grips. Carved out of a 2x4 stained with shoe polish they are ugly, but for $10 I tried them, most comfortable grips I ever had on a .44 mag.

Here's mine. The stag grips are now worth half the price of the entire gun!

20191011_165142.jpg

4 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

You sold a gun because you didn't like the grips? The most easily changed most common part? 

The factory grips are glorified plywood, I may just sand them down. Had the same problem with my 629 hated the factory grips, rubber was worse, found a set of what looked like home made grips. Carved out of a 2x4 stained with shoe polish they are ugly, but for $10 I tried them, most comfortable grips I ever had on a .44 mag.

Yes I did sell it and in addition to it being uncomfortable I didn’t see a good reason to keep it since I didn’t shoot it much which I why I didn’t look for other grips.  I sold it and made a few bucks and honestly I don’t miss it at all. I have plenty of other toys. 

I guess I am truly getting old.  I looked at the 4" Python and figured I would like the 6" better.  The next week the store got in a couple of 6".  After seeing the 6" I decided I liked the looks of the 4" better.  Went back with money in my pocket to get the 4" and after looking at it again said to myself, "self, what the heck are you going to do with it?"  Left with my money still in my pocket.  Did the same thing with a Uberti 1876 in .50-95 last week.  This is a bad sign.  

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I guess I am truly getting old.  I looked at the 4" Python and figured I would like the 6" better.  The next week the store got in a couple of 6".  After seeing the 6" I decided I liked the looks of the 4" better.  Went back with money in my pocket to get the 4" and after looking at it again said to myself, "self, what the heck are you going to do with it?"  Left with my money still in my pocket.  Did the same thing with a Uberti 1876 in .50-95 last week.  This is a bad sign.  

Send the money to me and I'll promptly hit up my LGS and buy something I don't need and dedicate it to your memory.

35 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Send the money to me and I'll promptly hit up my LGS and buy something I don't need and dedicate it to your memory.

BUT I ain't dead yet.  Don't rush me!:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

BUT I ain't dead yet.  Don't rush me!:ph34r:

Just cause Larsen looks older than Keith Richards is no reason to talk like that about him.

Archived