SASS Wire Forum

Where should I start

Make do

Recently picked up a CZ bobwhite shotgun - it is very stiff - both the lever and breaking the action open - where should a person start to smooth it up - I have been working the action open and close, about 2 to 3 hundred times with some improvement but not enough. I see three options - keep working the action dry - start running shell through it - take it apart and work on the action. For the last option what parts should be smoothed and which parts shouldn't.  Looking for opinions.

8 minutes ago, Make do said:

Recently picked up a CZ bobwhite shotgun - it is very stiff - both the lever and breaking the action open - where should a person start to smooth it up - I have been working the action open and close, about 2 to 3 hundred times with some improvement but not enough. I see three options - keep working the action dry - start running shell through it - take it apart and work on the action. For the last option what parts should be smoothed and which parts shouldn't.  Looking for opinions.

Talk to @Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L

I bought mine, all decked out from Long Hunter.  He did a nice job but as even he will say they need to be used as he does not overdo them.  I love mine.  When I bought it came with his action job and from what I understand he only takes in outside jobs if they have been unmolested.  I do think Shotgun Boogie has some springs or something so he may also be a source of info.  I handled a new one once and could not even push the lever enough to open it so for sure they are things that need to be done if you are to love it.

If you’re going to send it to Longhunter or any other smith don’t do anything and let them have it as is.  If you’re going to work on it yourself:

Now that you’ve opened and closed it a bunch I’d start with where the forearm and receiver meet look for any obvious rub marks and polish both surfaces.  Then look at the barrel lug for scrape marks on the sides and carefully polish the lug. You’re not trying to remove metal, just smoothing things out so that they don’t bind. 

After that work it a bunch more, it’s going to take time and maybe a little more polishing.   Anything more than that and it could go south on you real quick if you don’t have the experience. 

I was told not to just open and close it but to use snap caps (mine are home made) and pull the triggers each time.  My shotguns are the Sharptail and I have no idea how they are different from yours.

If you do decide to try to smooth it up yourself, do NOT use a file, sandpaper or any kind of grinder. Try lapping compound or even tooth paste, just smear a tiny amount on the hinge faces and then work the action. Go SLOOOOOOOW and stop often. You are only polishing the high points. You cannot put metal back on once it is gone [without expensive work].

Archived