SASS Wire Forum

.45 or .38?

SASS Name TBD

To the OP's original question ,no,not much advantage to shooting .45s if you're  not going to shoot Classic Cowboy.

But...

I shoot .45 because I like .45s.

If  I were just starting out,and knowing what ( little) I know now,I would probably go with .38s.

At current prices of reloading components, it just makes sense.

But those  .45s are so much fun.......

Choctaw 

I'll be the contrarian.

.44-40 rifle 'cuz John Kloehr history and my interest in going to the dark side.

.44 Special revolvers running .44 Russian cartridges 'cuz dark side.

Was going to go with .38 originally for cost reasons, but big fat rounds just feel more cowboy in my hands.

.45 isn't the only fat round.

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

1.  If you like to brag and taunt smaller caliber shooters, then the .45 is perfect for you..... :D

2.  If you like to use excuses as to WHY you didn't finish as well as you could have, then the .45 is for you..... :lol:

3.  If you have some feeling that toting a .45 is more manly, then the .45 is for you......:o

That should stir the pot..... :lol:

..........Widder

Continuing the stirring....

4.  With a few notable exceptions, 45 shooters spend an inordinate amount of time complaining about blow back in their Marlins. (38 shooters wonder what they are talking about) ..... :rolleyes:

5.  While there are plenty of warthogs out there the most common question by 45 shooters on the wire is "how do I get my recoil down to 38 levels?".....:blink: (maybe try shooting 38's?)

6.  45 shooters are always looking for the "best" powder and load info so they don't get their shiny, wet tumbled, brass dirty. :rolleyes:  38 shooters throw in 3.2 grains of most any suitable powder they have, toss the brass into a dry media tumbler, come back a couple hours later,separate brass and media and call it good. (As a bonus this procedure gives them an extra two hours in the wire saloon to poke fun at the 45 shooters) .... :)

Just kidding guys :P

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Do you reload ammo?

If not, be prepared to spend 120.00 per match plus tax and shipping for .45 Colt ammo.

That's not counting any practice you might want to do.

If the bug bites deep, as with some of us, and you start to shoot 2, 3, or 4 matches a month.  Price to fuel the hoglegs rises steeply.

If you do reload, it seems to be a little easier to get large pistol primers than the small pistol primers.

I shoot both 45 and 38. I enjoy my 38s, they are accurate and fun. Costs much less to shoot than my 45s, even reloading. I love shooting my 45s, they just make me grin.

But, if I was starting out I would go with the 38s or 357s.

Shoot both and decide which will serve you better.

Be aware that 38s crimped in the crimp groove generally won't run in a rifle chambered for .357 Magnum. So don't load a bunch of ammo just yet. Get the COL advice from the 38 loaders. 45, no problem...text book reloading.

It sounds like you should attend some matches where you can possibly handle or even shoot sample guns. I believe it is customary that a gun owner will want you to shoot their ammo.

Start with 38’s since you have press and dies. No brainer there. If you get bit like most if have been you will look into other calibers shortly after. And a progressive press with quick change tool heads.

I never thought I’d be reloading at all and would’ve laughed at the thought of loading 6 calibers! (38, 45LC, 45S&W-schofield, 45acp, 45-70 & 12g)

38 for main match

45LC & 45ACP for wild bunch

45LC & 45S&W for kicks

45-70 for long range & plainsman  

Large pistol primers have been more available than small pistol primers in the past year or so. This may change after the price increase this spring.

Buy one revolver in each caliber then later when you change your mind you will only have to buy one gun to have a matched set. Seriously, if you are asking someone else what your preference is or should be on what caliber you are going to like or settle with, good luck, I don't know anyone who knows better than me what I like.

Well, maybe my wife.

kR

I went with .45 Colt because I was already shooting that caliber before SASS existed, and was already set up to reload it.

I've always thought it a versatile cartridge and suitable for small and medium game up to Deer. 

One time I tried using 1851's converted to .38 special with sleeved barrels, etc.  They felt like kid's guns.

I guess I was just too used to the bigger framed & heavier shooting .45's, as after a year I traded them off

for another pair of .45's.

I figure the time difference on my scores using .45 versus .38 are negligible, and the cost even less, this is my hobby

and I'll spend what it takes or back off to what I can afford, but I'll enjoy every trigger squeeze!

Follow your heart, not your checkbook or the timer.

SC

from what OP presented it makes the most sense to go 38 , as he got faster later he might migrate there anyway , i went 45 for all those same reasons in my case , but now i shoot both , 

How about .38WCF / .38-40  they can be had in Uberti Cattlemen ......

Legal in all Cartridge Class Categories and for WB and are Super Blackpowder guns.

Or .44 spl. Open-Tops for pistols and 38 WCF in a 66 ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I started with 44 Russian extra long (44 magnum) because we already had brass, bullets and dies.  As time went on, I moved to 38s because an injury wouldn’t allow me to shoot the higher recoiling calibers.

I found that I could cast 2 bullets in 38 (125 grains) for each 44 (240+). This .combined with a spouse and later a son pushed me into the 38 camp.  

Are you looking for authenticity, speed, economy, or.?

I’m shooting for fun, so I’m running 38’s with the rest of the family since it makes sense for Mom, Dad, Wife, Son and myself to shoot the same cartridge. If I were by my self, I’d probably be shooting 38-40 for authenticity and ease of shooting The Holy Black. 

Look at what YOU want out of this Sport and go with what suits YOU.

I have a pair of pistols in both 38 and 45. However, I shoot 38 Long Colt or 45 Cowboy Special respectively. Shooting the minimum Hodgdon load in 45 Colt was costing time with too much muzzle rise off target (5.5" guns). I wanted to try 45CS anyway and am sticking to it, keeping regular rounds for the rifle. In the 38s I prefer 38 Long Colt just cuz and since the guns are Model P Jrs. and well suited. These give me a chance to alternate between large and small primer availability, but regardless of what I shoot, I have the other pair of guns and leather with me at a match as backups or loaners. I have rifles to match, shooting 357 Magnum Lightning or 45 Colt JM Marlin.

Archived