SASS Wire Forum

Is SASS a not for Profit Organisation?

Quiet Burp

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Last night doing some reading I came across these two threads, so did the Not for Profit thing fall over???

Give SASS a call tomorrow and ask them.

22 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Last night doing some reading I came across these two threads, so did the Not for Profit thing fall over???

The Cahawba Kid just posted the fact that they are a for profit entity, so I think you can safely conclude that the not for profit didn't work out.

38 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

So, in theory non-profits can make a profit!

Probably explains why non-profit hospitals are always building new facilities in order to use up the excess income.

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Probably explains why non-profit hospitals are always building new facilities in order to use up the excess income.

As a non-profit they need to make a profit. In order to fund projects, invest in infrastructure and key hires. Otherwise they have to borrow every time they want to do anything.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

As a non-profit they need to make a profit. In order to fund projects, invest in infrastructure and key hires. Otherwise they have to borrow every time they want to do anything.

??????????? What?

22 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

So, in theory non-profits can make a profit!

My understanding of SS 501c7 is that the definition of "profit" does not include accrued money's that are re-expended in the general economy for purposes that are listed in the organization Bylaws, as recorded with the original or amended 501c7 Application. 

IRS has a history of leniency regarding those re-expenditure time frames if funds are being accumulated for future large projects documented as approved by the organization governing board.  

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

My understanding of SS 501c7 is that the definition of "profit" does not include accrued money's that are re-expended in the general economy for purposes that are listed in the organization Bylaws, as recorded with the original or amended 501c7 Application. 

IRS has a history of leniency regarding those re-expenditure time frames if funds are being accumulated for future large projects documented as approved by the organization governing board.  

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Sort of like many Cowboy clubs.  Being a non member of SASS at this time I am wondering why so much talk about this . Why does anyone care if they are a profit or a non-profit.

6 hours ago, john brown said:

Sort of like many Cowboy clubs.  Being a non member of SASS at this time I am wondering why so much talk about this . Why does anyone care if they are a profit or a non-profit.

There was a group of members venting abut SASS and how they spent their money. They thought a non-profit company had to report, to the public, their revenue and expenditures. Which they don't have to do.

18 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Gross revenue, minus expenditures = gross profit. Gross profit minus debt pay down, bonus's, 401k etc. = net profit.

I know that, I was correcting the OP I happen to own a fair size company.

Best wishes

17 minutes ago, john brown said:

I know that, I was correcting the OP I happen to own a fair size company.

I just retired from mine. We went to an ESOP 6 years ago to avoid taxes and create a better benefit for our employees. We also has a non-profit group..

26 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I just retired from mine. We went to an ESOP 6 years ago to avoid taxes and create a better benefit for our employees. We also has a non-profit group..

Mine is a family business  and it is hard to retire after 50 years of building a successful business. I still go into the office every day .The wife says I need to let go and enjoy our remaining years. This year I have started to cut back and will be done by April.

Best wishes 

Archived