SASS Wire Forum

Wop! Wop! Wop!…..

The Tennessee highway patrol has one of their Hueys flying traffic patterns and approaches at a little airfield nearby. Even from 3 miles away that sound comes in so clear. 

I know that rhythm brings a lot of memories to a lot of people here in the saloon. For me fortunately, they are mostly good ones.

I wish you all a good evening, my friends.

we hear it a lot here , there is a base at the airport , just a few miles from our range and there is a flight path goes over my house as they follow the river north to camp ripley , 

The UH-60V program will upgrade the UH-60L aircraft with a digital cockpit. The open architecture-based cockpit design replaces analog gauges with digital multifunctional displays and enhances situational awareness for aviation warfighters.  The UH-60V, which features one of the Army's most advanced avionics solutions, has a pilot-vehicle interface that is nearly identical to the UH 60M.  The airfield at Meridianville AL is just a few miles south of us...  ..they do other work on upgrading helicopters as well...  so, the WOP, WOP ain't unusual to us...   ...and in all kinds of weather conditions....

UH-60V Prototype Achieves First Flight

13 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

With that title I thought Charley had a funny Italian joke on here!:D

Me too.  Thought it would be about an Italian car with a flat tire.  But that would be insensitive and none of us would do that.

27 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

With that title I thought Charley had a funny Italian joke on here!:D

It takes an Italian to tell the best Italian jokes, and I am not one. 

My buddy back in Cincinnati had an Italian mother and an Irish dad. Lord, could he tell some good ones!

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Me too.  Thought it would be about an Italian car with a flat tire.  But that would be insensitive and none of us would do that.

I thought he was going to talk about an Italian helicopter.

12 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Us Italians are tougher than that, we ain't snowflakes!! 

we just make a phone call 

I bought my wife and kids a ride on a restored Huey last year at the Bell museum in Mentone, IN. My wife would have enjoyed it thoroughly if she would have opened her eyes! The sharp turns didn't do it for her. 

18 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

In 1992 Hurricane Andrew devastated Homestead and southern parts of Miami.  The television evening newscasts were reminiscent of many coming out of SE Asia in the 70's.  The Hueys provided tons of help for people stuck down there.  

Yeah I was there the day after. In-laws lived in homestead so I grabbed a chainsaw and headed down from Jupiter.  Not only did we have Hueys overhead and 90% humidity but after dark a significant amount of gunfire from the Richmond Heights neighborhood about a mile away. I don’t know why I didn’t have flashbacks. Too busy I guess. My sister in laws house was a loss. They came up and stayed with us for a month.

Went on a 15 minute familiarization ride in a Huey and nearly threw up.

Went on a longer ride in a CH-47 and did throw up.

I don't like helicopter rides

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah I was there the day after. In-laws lived in homestead so I grabbed a chainsaw and headed down from Jupiter.  Not only did we have Hueys overhead and 90% humidity but after dark a significant amount of gunfire from the Richmond Heights neighborhood about a mile away. I don’t know why I didn’t have flashbacks. Too busy I guess. My sister in laws house was a loss. They came up and stayed with us for a month.

A couple of dozen of our outfit lived down in that area and got their homes wiped out including my boss and four in my section.   I'll never forget the sight of those choppers thump, thumpin above the trash.  It was the weirdest time.  

I have never understood how a Huey gets airborne. Certain appendages owned by Huey pilots must weigh a ton! Helo drivers in general, and Huey drivers in particular are brave bastards. I'm a fighter pilot and a pretty damn good one, but I had 2 fam rides in a Huey at Pax River and that humbled the hell out of me. Helo pilots earned my respect shortly after arriving in Nam and I've never lost it. Love those guys!

5 hours ago, Chantry said:

You'd love a nap of the earth ride, then coming over the Columbia River Gorge and pulling negative g's.

2 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

I have never understood how a Huey gets airborne. Certain appendages owned by Huey pilots must weigh a ton! Helo drivers in general, and Huey drivers in particular are brave bastards. I'm a fighter pilot and a pretty damn good one, but I had 2 fam rides in a Huey at Pax River and that humbled the hell out of me. Helo pilots earned my respect shortly after arriving in Nam and I've never lost it. Love those guys!

I was told the F-4 was living proof that if you put enough engine on a brick you can make it fly. 

21 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I was told the F-4 was living proof that if you put enough engine on a brick you can make it fly. 

The wife and I were at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio back in the early 80's. While walking along the outside displays a pair of F4's did a low pass down the old runway. Just about right over us they stood them on their tails and lit the burners. It was an impressive sight and sound to put it mildly. Raw power.

15 hours ago, Doc X said:

The wife and I were at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio back in the early 80's. While walking along the outside displays a pair of F4's did a low pass down the old runway. Just about right over us they stood them on their tails and lit the burners. It was an impressive sight and sound to put it mildly. Raw power.

AF Thunderbirds briefly used F-4s for their performances. I saw one of those shows back in '70 or '71, which certainly shook the ground!

I used to be a Superintendent on a Golf Course that was right off the runway of an Air Force base. They would come off the runway and then go straight up right over the golf course. If you were on a mower it would completely drown out the sound of the mower.

kR

Charlie, I've heard this and several variants thereof. I won't disagree, however, those J-79s on that brick make it go damn fast.

PF

23 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

I have never understood how a Huey gets airborne.

Helicopters don't fly. They beat the air into submission. While the H-60 is the latest thing, the sound of a Huey, or a Cobra, is like no other. 

Every now and then, some will fly into Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson. I can be sitting, watching T.V. and recognize their WOP WOP over any other. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Helicopters don't fly. They beat the air into submission. While the H-60 is the latest thing, the sound of a Huey, or a Cobra, is like no other. 

Every now and then, some will fly into Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson. I can be sitting, watching T.V. and recognize their WOP WOP over any other. 

And they uses a Huey sound bite for virtually every kind of helicopter you see on a TV show. I saw one the other night where a Blackhawk was coming in to pick up some mercenaries and it went Wop Wop Wop :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

An airport nearby has a Chinook reserve unit stationed there, and we are apparently under their flight path. We hear their unique sound every week, often at low altitude. 

Better to hear them from outside than inside! 

D6CF2D3B-C791-42FD-BA3B-788218FB5F4C.jpeg

On 1/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, Chantry said:

Rode a lot of flying things, never had any kind of negative reaction except once I snagged a ride on a CH-47 that was evacuating some Vietnamese civilians and their livestock to safety.  It was very stormy (the reason they were being evacuated) and the animals were panicky and them and the people puking got to me.

As paymaster one month, I went down to the finance office in Phouc Vinh and signed for the cash. Headed out in a Huey the next morning to pay the troops with a briefcase with $15,000 in Monopoly money. Everything went just swell until at about 5 thousand feet, U1a Otter suddenly appeared out of the clouds at our 3 o’clock, heading right for us. It looked huge! We banked sharply and dove and I watched my briefcase slide across the deck, headed for the freedom of the wild blue yonder through the open door.

In an instant my future life in Long Binh Jail and then Leavenworth flashed before my eyes as I snagged it just before it sailed out into space.  Held on to it tight for the next 2 days. :blink:
Probably would have made some farmer in Tay Ninh province a very happy man. 
 No overhead bins for your belongings in a Huey. 

710E6F3D-99E4-4518-9418-7289F61469DB.jpeg

Archived