SASS Wire Forum

New ivory grips came in

Utah Bob #35998

Many moons (decades) ago, I found a set of new REAL ivory grips for a Blackhawk at a pawn/gun shop for $35. Late 70's early 80's. That was a bit of money for me at the time (gas was probably 79 cents/gal) but I jumped on them. Sadly, they were for an earlier frame and did not fit my NM Blackhawks. Took them back and they gave me a refund. Needless to say I wish I'd kept them, but that's the way of it.

JHC

52 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Do they have a blue tint, or is that the same light I see reflected in the metal?

Yes there is a blue coloration in some areas. As I understand it, that is caused by the mineral Vivianite and is pretty rare to see,

BTW, ridiculous as it may sound,  Mammoth fossil ivory is illegal in California, NY, DC, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Nevada, Hawaii and Illinois.

They are, ironically, all blue states. :blink:

15 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

But is Mastodon ok?

It’s basically the same as Mammoth.  Different epochs. Both called fossil ivory in the law. 

https://www.aaps-journal.org/fossil-ivory-legislation.html

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Mammoth_vs_Mastodon

Maybe I’ll get some Mammoths engraved on the slide now. And a Sabertooth or two. How that for a Barbecue Gun? :D

That shade of blue was my wife’s favorite color. She would love em.

As long as she didn’t know how much I paid. ;)

those look great , i dont get the prohibition , the mamoth ivory is not "hunted" it is long ago dead and picked up as sheds a lot by indiginous folks in alaska looking to make a living , another case of wrong thinking by those that wish to control our lives , why dont they mind their own business ?  

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

those look great , i dont get the prohibition , the mamoth ivory is not "hunted" it is long ago dead and picked up as sheds a lot by indiginous folks in alaska looking to make a living , another case of wrong thinking by those that wish to control our lives , why dont they mind their own business ?  

The problem apparently is that after the poachers sell the elephant ivory, it is marketed as mammoth ivory.
I find that odd seeing as how mammoth ivory sell for a much lower price.

I never heard of Vivianite before.  Looked it up on Wickapedia.  Interesting read.  When I first saw your grips, I thought the blue was some sort of medal inlays.  It certainly makes for a unique set of grips.

Archived