SASS Wire Forum

Planes, Trains, and... LAPD's finest

Good on the officers and emergency responders involved. 

I am sure today there will be a meeting to find out why someone forgot to call Metrolink to let them know a plane was on the tracks. 

Watched that again and a far as I can tell the metro link was not in emergency braking the entire time the video was rolling.  Now I know a train doesn't stop on dollar much less a dime but I wonder when the engineer hadn't applied the ebrake before the impact. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am sure today there will be a meeting to find out why someone forgot to call Metrolink to let them know a plane was on the tracks. 

It could just be a matter of lag - guy on the street calls it in, dispatch calls Metrolink, Metrolink passes it however it gets passed to notify the train drivers.  Takes a few minutes, and if those things are running every 15 minutes there ain't much time.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Good on the officers and emergency responders involved. 

Pat, isn't there some kind of warning to trains when tracks are blocked?

Are those trains manned, or fully automated?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It could just be a matter of lag - guy on the street calls it in, dispatch calls Metrolink, Metrolink passes it however it gets passed to notify the train drivers.  Takes a few minutes, and if those things are running every 15 minutes there ain't much time.

The LAPD has a direct line into Metrolink Dispatch. Someone made an oversight.

9 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Pat, isn't there some kind of warning to trains when tracks are blocked?

Are those trains manned, or fully automated?

No, they don't have a warning system like that. The trains have an Engineer and a Conductor. To be fair there is so much going on and a  white plane on a  sunny day probably just didn't stand out enough.

Police had to have been on site for several minutes before the train came through, as evidenced by the yellow caution tape around the wreck site - maybe waiting for fire department/EMT's/ambulance?

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Probably had to change them.  :lol:

Then they stripped the wrong clothing off him.

BTW, my question was serious. I've seen people have their shirts cut off for defib, but not pants, shoes and socks like this guy. Hoping some first responders can chime in?

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Then they stripped the wrong clothing off him.

BTW, my question was serious. I've seen people have their shirts cut off for defib, but not pants, shoes and socks like this guy. Hoping some first responders can chime in?

Defib is a different situation. You have to look for injuries resulting from a crash. Generally in a coronary incident there is no trauma. Next time you see a paramedic, note the scissors on his belt. They’re one of the first tools they will use.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Just guessing, but his clothing may have been contaminated with fuel. In that particular plane the fuel tanks are in the wing above and to either side of the cockpit.

Yup, I’ve spent  much time in them. The upper structure appeared intact to me, but I wasn’t there and am speculating. But the lack of any fire, especially after that impact suggests the tanks were empty. Which is often the cause of the forced landing. 

Fuel mismanagement is the number two cause of general aviation accidents. Flight from visual into instrument conditions is number one. 

Archived