SASS Wire Forum

What's the one gun you sold that you wished you'd never?

Buckshot Bear

What's the one gun you sold that you wished you'd never?

Mines a Thompson Center .30 Herrett that I used for shooting the 25m Black Powder Modern Single Shot International Match (I had a BP insert made up for it).

Sold it over 20 years ago and still regret it.

A Colt SAA 5 1/2" .45 that my parents gave me when I graduated from high school in 1960.  The gun was made in 1959 and had never been sold, so it was actually brand new.

It travelled the world with me until 1995 when I traded it for a new one.  By then the old gun had been re-blued twice, ridden in a dozen holsters, had worn three different sets of grips.  It had been with me to Okinawa, Vietnam twice, Japan, and Canada.

Almost from the second I watched the new owner walk away I have kicked myself.

The one gun I sold that I wish I hadn't was a Russian SKS.  It appeared to be unfired when I bought it - the first rifle out of the crate still had a headspace gauge in the chamber. 

Actually, it was the ONLY gun I ever sold.  I've gifted some; never sold any others.  But, I needed Christmas money.  :mellow:

Oh well.  The Kid got a new bicycle that year.  :)

A limited run OMV in .45 Colt CC with gold inlay engraving.

Colt Officer's Model Match in .38spl. 

Sweet, accurate and a great trigger let off.

Not including the "confiscation with compensation" (read 'buy back'), I have sold exactly one(1) firearm in my life ........

...... it was surplus to my wants and needs .... and he wanted/needed it more than I.

Sorry, no regrets.  :ph34r:

Smith and Wesson 586 nickel 6" barrel. Had an FFL then, was single with few financial obligations.

Bought through RSR Wholesale guns in 1983 for $225.00

It was a handsome weapon. It just looked cool.

I don't remember ever shooting it. Just showing it to friends and looking at it myself.

Finally one friend who owned a waterbed store (yes, there were stores that actually sold just waterbeds) stopped by and told me he was moving to a house out in the country, and did I have a gun he could buy. Sold him the 586 for $245.

Offered to buy it back twice, but he and his wife loved the looks of it.

Should have just let him borrow it and directed toward a nice .22 semi-auto.

As I wrote this I just checked GunBroker for that same gun.

The ones that got away always seem to get stuck in your head.

Colt Combat Gov’t series 70 1911 .45 ACP. I bought it in 1983 for $317 at B&B Sales in North Hollywood, CA. 

Sold it in 1988 for $285 in Albuquerque, NM so I could put food on the table.

A pair of nickeled Colt SAAs in .45 Colt. I switched to .44-40 and sold them to finance a pair in .44/40. 
I never had a better pair of shooters than those .45’s :(

Colt Python in nickel finish. The gun had no sentimental value to me and I didn't like the gun at all but I had only paid $250 for it and traded it for a .357 Desert Eagle which I really disliked. Traded that one also.

Remington Nylon 66, my first rifle. Paid about $50 brand new. Traded it for a 10 speed bicycle when I was fourteen. Later, I bought a Nylon 77 to replace it which I still have.

image.png.2c72e3ddfb08082abe864a12cb26d005.png

I have since collected Remington Nylons and had most versions except for a basic Nylon 66. I bought one early last year and it cost a bit more than $50!

Actually two different Marlin 39's at different times. Had one of them for 3 days and traded.

I traded a S&W model 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel for a model 49, because it was easier to carry.  In those days, I had to sell guns or trade to afford anything new that I wanted.  I always regretted that trade.

A mossberg 640K Chuckster and quite possibly one of the first of that caliber anywhere in Hockley Co., Texas.   Our FFA chapter, in order to raise funds,  promoted selling subscriptions of Progressive Farmer with the prospects of winning a Mossberg rifle or shotgun if you sold enough.   Needless to say I and a friend pounded the boonies akin to a vacuum cleaner salesman of the time.  Not only did I win one but drew another out of the pool because the chapter sold so many subscriptions.   I don't know what happened to the one I gave my brother but in a moment of "I need a bigger varmint rifle" sold it to my brother inlaw who gave it to his Dad.   Now, 60 years later I can't look at it without dang near bawling.

A stunningly nearly new condition m/96-38 Swedish Mauser originally made in the first month of Swedish production in 1898 at Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori after production equipment was transferred from Waffenfabrik Mauser AG, and converted at Carl Gustafs in 1939 to the m/38 configuration.  My aged father (since passed away) who was suffering from Parkinsonian dementia said to me, when I was driving him somewhere, "do you want my Mauser rifle?"  I didn't know he owned a Mauser rifle.  He could not remember which Mauser rifle he owned, how long he had owned it, how he came to own it, or anything else about it.  My jaw nearly hit the floor when he pulled it out of the back of a closet and said, "here, take it."

I don't have a good or sad story to tell. Done it way too many times to pick just one. I was like Mongo , had to sell or trade what I had for something else that I wanted more at the time. Been at it about 60 years and haven't seem to gotten any smarter.:lol:

Rex :D

Never sold or traded a gun.  I still have my first and every one since.  I promised myself that I would not buy guns on impulse, or settle for something less than what I really wanted.  I probably bought fewer guns as a result, but I love each and every one.  I've been lucky.

LL

Archived