SASS Wire Forum

Neighbor's old Dragoon?

WOLFY

Howdy yall... down the street is a yard sale and I advised the sellers to get a letter from Colt for their "grandpa's wheel gun".  I've never seen a Dragoon with  a full octagon bbl so I figured it was rarity.

Snapped a pic since I'm sure I'll never see the likes of this again.  They thought it was a Walker.  Is this a different gun than I was thinking?

unkDragoon.jpg

38 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

You could  have gave them what they were asking and made everyone happy. Irish ☘️ Pat

Thanks...

If I bought to make the sellers happy, I'd be buying boats.

That doesn't look like any Dragoon I've ever seen.  Trigger guard and bolt notches are indicative of a 3rd model. However, AFAIK only the the 1848 Baby Dragoon and the extremely rare Whitneyville-Hartford had octagon barrels. Both of these had oval bolt notches and square back trigger guards.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Cylinder is too short for a dragoon or walker. I’m no expert, but it looks an 1851. I’ll bet the owners don’t know the difference and is why they’re calling it a Walker. 

Looks like some sort of  '51 with a shorter than normal barrel.

JHC

49 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Looks like some sort of  '51 with a shorter than normal barrel.

JHC

+1.  51 Navy with barrel shortened and new homemade front sight added.  No Colt letters on most of the C&B models as the factory burned down in 1864 and most records were lost.

Assuming the rest of the gun's serial numbers match the cylinder it was made in 1856.  The cylinder bolt screw almost looks like a piece of metal that has been staked in place. Hopefully there is a screw head with slots on the opposite side.  Pretty ratty condition.  I would not go to high with an offer.

A buddy once bought an 1849 Colt at a garage sale for five bucks.  It was disassembled, all parts in a box.  A quick stop at Orchard Supply Hardware to replace the one missing screw and he had a pretty decent revolver (nicer condition that the one pictured above.)  :)

Sadly, though, he would not part with it.  :(  

6 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Did a little research it seems that there were Never any Dragoons Made with Brass grip frames ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I've owned a few and looked at a lot.  I don't recall ever seeing a Dragoon without a brass grip frame.

300px-Colt_Dragoon_Mod_1848.JPG.12e4b9b9f99faf943ba16c013a606907.JPG

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

A buddy once bought an 1849 Colt at a garage sale for five bucks.  It was disassembled, all parts in a box.  A quick stop at Orchard Supply Hardware to replace the one missing screw and he had a pretty decent revolver (nicer condition that the one pictured above.)  :)

Sadly, though, he would not part with it.  :(  

What year? 1887?

:) :) :) :) 

(Sorry I'm bored) 

Just now, Buckshot Bear said:

What year? 1887?

:) :) :) :) 

(Sorry I'm bored) 

Back in the nineties, as I recall.  Our sons were in YMCA Indian Guides together.  Come to think of it, so were we!

He had another Model '49 that had been in his family since it was new... whenever that was.

I was going through a rather contentious "change of family status" at one point, and had to find a new home for my Cal 2-24 sailboat.  I ended up giving it to the guy; in retrospect, I shoulda traded him for that revolver!  Ah well - was a mite preoccupied at the time.

12 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Did a little research it seems that there were Never any Dragoons Made with Brass grip frames ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I just googled until some came up in steel.  Roughly 1 out of 9 was with a steel gripframe (of images searched for genuine Colts).

DRagoons.jpg

You ain't gonna mistake a Dragoon for anything else.  They are big guns.  Walkers are 4 1/2 pounds and over a foot long and a 3rd Model, while not quite that big, ain't missed any meals either.  They are all .44's, too.

Baby Dragoons are smaller than normal- still with the more primitive, blocky lines but a bit smaller.  Picture a Walker that was picked from the vine too early.  They are usually. 31's, too, but the repro market made a .36, too if I remember correctly.

If it's a just little smaller than a SAA or Ruger but about that size, then it's a '51.  The grip contour of a '51 is the same as a SAA, too.

I searched My records for the past 27 years and I have had 9 come threw my shop all were iron frames and the records I got from the Old Smith I bought out when he retired showed 4 more all iron Framed ....

I have very little faith in Google and never use them for reference ..

It seems that those Dragoons that came up here were iron ....

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived