SASS Wire Forum

I made a huge mistake (shotgun)

El Catorce

I did something today that I regret in a huge way. I think it’s the biggest mistake I’ve made all year! 

Today I made the mistake of asking a pard I was posse’ed with, @riverview rattler, if I could shoot his SKB after the match. He was gracious and smiled as he answered enthusiastically, “sure!”  

After the match he reminded  about my request and he pointed to his cart “she’s right there, but shoot my store bought shells, I saw you had some bp loads mixed in with your smokeless rounds”. We laughed because, indeed, two black powder shells had ended up in my shell box some how and surprised me, along with the spotters and TO, on two different stages! 

When I reached down and picked “her” up by the grip it felt like I was holding a maiden’s delicate wrist. It felt thin and svelte and rather elegant compared to my shotgun. If they were vehicles, my Baikal Bounty Hunter II would be a work truck and the SKB a Bentley. 

When I pushed the lever to open I saw that it took almost no effort. I thought “well she’s cocked already from having an open actio”. I then fired both barrels of commercial shells and opened the action to load two more. Again, it opened effortlessly. The barrels dropped effortlessly once again right in front of me as if performing a delicate curtsey. I fired the next two rounds and this time paid extra close attention to the lever. I released the fore end of the SKB before engaging the opening lever one handedly, only holding the SKB by the grip. the barrels dropped like before, with a smooth effortless push of the lever. 

I know why Riverview Rattler smiled when I asked to shoot his SKB. He knew I was making a big mistake. 

Thanks a lot Rattler, I thought I was done with buying Cowboy Guns…. (Just joking!) 

I really did appreciate @riverview rattlerletting shoot his SKB. I fully understand why they are so sought after and why they carry a price premium since they’re becoming more scarce. 

mistakes happen but then again one might ask if you were predestined in some sort of way , we all have our failings when it results in a fine shotgun it might get overlooked - long as your benefactor still has his of course 

I have both an SKB and a Browning BSS. I like them both. Keep going back and forth...usually in the same match. I just plain like both. Both are different in ways and similar in others.

12 hours ago, El Catorce said:

I did something today that I regret in a huge way. I think it’s the biggest mistake I’ve made all year! 

Today I made the mistake of asking a pard I was posse’ed with, @riverview rattler, if I could shoot his SKB after the match. He was gracious and smiled as he answered enthusiastically, “sure!”  

After the match he reminded  about my request and he pointed to his cart “she’s right there, but shoot my store bought shells, I saw you had some bp loads mixed in with your smokeless rounds”. We laughed because, indeed, two black powder shells had ended up in my shell box some how and surprised me, along with the spotters and TO, on two different stages! 

When I reached down and picked “her” up by the grip it felt like I was holding a maiden’s delicate wrist. It felt thin and svelte and rather elegant compared to my shotgun. If they were vehicles, my Baikal Bounty Hunter II would be a work truck and the SKB a Bentley. 

When I pushed the lever to open I saw that it took almost no effort. I thought “well she’s cocked already from having an open actio”. I then fired both barrels of commercial shells and opened the action to load two more. Again, it opened effortlessly. The barrels dropped effortlessly once again right in front of me as if performing a delicate curtsey. I fired the next two rounds and this time paid extra close attention to the lever. I released the fore end of the SKB before engaging the opening lever one handedly, only holding the SKB by the grip. the barrels dropped like before, with a smooth effortless push of the lever. 

I know why Riverview Rattler smiled when I asked to shoot his SKB. He knew I was making a big mistake. 

Thanks a lot Rattler, I thought I was done with buying Cowboy Guns…. (Just joking!) 

I really did appreciate @riverview rattlerletting shoot his SKB. I fully understand why they are so sought after and why they carry a price premium since they’re becoming more scarce. 

Thanks for this nice job of reminding me to never shoot a prepared SKB. I am real happy with my Baikal MP220 from Johnny Meadows. I have admired some shotguns at the unloading table, I must say.

Reminds me of an old article in Reader's Digest about "How to Eat and Ice Cream Cone"

How to carefully build up your ice cream so it won't drip. .

Then he warns, "Never let someone else taste your cone because they will mess up all your work."

And "Never taste someone else's cone because:"

1.  If it tastes worse, why would you want that?

2.  If it tastes better, then you will filled with regret because it is better than yours.

Looks like you were in the #2 category.  :D:D:D 

I guess ya hafta have sumthin for the fellers who can't handle a TTN.

Classics rule!:P:D:P

Sixgun Seamus  - I agree with you. 

While I love my SKB and it makes my times faster, shooting my TTNs are much more FUN.

I've been using 60g of Goex 2FF in preparation of Dark Days -  and the gunsmoke is absolutely righteous !

I could argue I made a huge mistake the very 1st time I tried cowboy action shooting. I could probably have my mortgage paid for twice now if I hadn't gotten so addicted to this beautiful wonderful game. :D

Enjoy your new shotgun, by the way. ;)

50 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Enjoy your new shotgun, by the way. ;)

Thank you! That will be my second Baikal but don’t know which will be the main and which will be the “back up”.  I’ve come to understand that in cowboy action shooting “A shotgun is none but two is one”. 

"the biggest mistake that I've made all year"

It only Jan 9th.

There is a lot of year to go.

The mark of a seasoned cowboy shooter is that they only equipment they still ponder is the scattergun.

20 hours ago, El Catorce said:

.... If they were vehicles, my Baikal Bounty Hunter II would be a work truck and the SKB a Bentley. ...

Catorce, you made my Baikal sad and feeling a little blue, so I reminded her that she has never let me down in 20 years. ( Coyote Cap action job ).  So she perked up and helped me to another clean match today. :)  Anyway, if I went to a single trigger gun it would screw me up for when I shoot the TTN.  I have a hard enough time remembering to cock the hammers. 

Edit:  Is it okay to call a Baikal "her"?  I mean, it's a Russky, so kind of like the Russky weight lifters and shot putters, you still need to call them "her" or they will beat you up. :)

47 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Catorce, you made my Baikal sad and feeling a little blue, so I reminded her that she has never let me down in 20 years. ( Coyote Cap action job ).  So she perked up and helped me to another clean match today. :)  Anyway, if I went to a single trigger gun it would screw me up for when I shoot the TTN.  I have a hard enough time remembering to cock the hammers. 

Edit:  Is it okay to call a Baikal "her"?  I mean, it's a Russky, so kind of like the Russky weight lifters and shot putters, you still need to call them "her" or they will beat you up. :)

Yup they’re still a her!  I do enjoy the reversed double triggers on mine. If I can only figure out how to make the barrels heavier so that I didn’t need to coax her open with both hands … I need my girl to be more top heavy 

The long time rule is this, DO NOT handle and fire a gun you are not willing to buy immediately.

After firing it, you will either not like the fit or something else.

Or you will have to have one as soon as possible.

24 minutes ago, El Catorce said:

make the barrels heavier so that I didn’t need to coax her open with both hands … I need my girl to be more top heavy 

Just a reminder.......TTN barrels fall right open.:P

10 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Gol darnit Mr. Catorce, You use your typing fingers prettier that a twenty dollar wh...er...lady of the evening.:o

I believe the term that escapes you is, "Independent contractor." :D

8 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I believe the term that escapes you is, "Independent contractor." :D

I thought the term was "Horizontal Hostess"

Similar to my SKB story.  I was shooting a match and Johnny Meadows was on my posse.  After watching me fight my Stoeger for three or four stages he came up and shoved his SKB into my hand and said, "Here, shoot mine on the next stage".  After the match I found myself in his camper buying an SKB and have since added another to the collection. On the plus side, I consider it all money very well spent. :lol:

El Catorce

I did almost the same thing  a several years back.

Only I had a different outcome,I had the opportunity to buy at a very good price at that time.  After shooting a friends for 3 stages at a monthly match I was totally unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice smooth gun but not worth the money. It was no better (in my opinion) than my Rossi coach gun, which By the way I have been using since 1991 with zero problems.

I have tried another after that, same results.  Both shotgun had been tuned by very well respected cowboy gunsmiths.  

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Similar to my SKB story.  I was shooting a match and Johnny Meadows was on my posse.  After watching me fight my Stoeger for three or four stages he came up and shoved his SKB into my hand and said, "Here, shoot mine on the next stage".  After the match I found myself in his camper buying an SKB and have since added another to the collection. On the plus side, I consider it all money very well spent. :lol:

Deja Vu all over again!

Johnny Meadows is my "pusher" as well!  :lol:

At an EOT about 2010 or so my buddy Wrangler Ron had finally had enough watching me struggle with my stoeger in a speed side match. He said "you could be pretty good if you had a decent shotgun". Took me to Johnny Meadows camper and I bought my first SKB, named it "Gramps" and finished the match 13th overall.

Gramps is still my main match gun and I have two more of his guns in the safe "Princess" and "3-Dot".

Love my SKB's and Johnny is the man!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I shot baikals for years. They are solid shotguns no doubt. I even made fun of SKB shooters, mentioning that John Wayne never shot a single trigger shotgun :D
then I got an SKB and almost immediately noted a difference in times. Then I tried a BSS and bought it. Son my category at Tx state BP championship with it. Did not fumble shells loading it once. Not sure if it was the shotgun or just luck on my part. I like them both. I prefer the mechanical trigger on the BSS. One of these days I’ll get the conversion done to the SKB. Both are fine shotguns. 

“If I can only figure out how to make the barrels [on the Baikal] heavier so that I didn’t need to coax her open with both hands … I need my girl to be more top [front?] heavy “
Hey, El Catorce. Have you found a solution?

18 minutes ago, Will Kane said:

“If I can only figure out how to make the barrels [on the Baikal] heavier so that I didn’t need to coax her open with both hands … I need my girl to be more top [front?] heavy “
Hey, El Catorce. Have you found a solution?

Yes found a solution lol … it comes at a premium … hunting for an SKB now lol 

19 minutes ago, El Catorce said:

Yes found a solution lol … it comes at a premium … hunting for an SKB now lol 

My suggestion would be to call Johnny Meadows or any of the other well known shotgun gurus.  They quite often have some on hand or know where/how to get them.  

13 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

My suggestion would be to call Johnny Meadows or any of the other well known shotgun gurus.  They quite often have some on hand or know where/how to get them.  

Thank you!

I did a similar thing, loaned my SKB to a lady shooter at our state match as I had already done a shoot through,  her husband came to me after the match and said gee thanks as I had just cost him about $1200,....

A shooter loaned me her SKB about a year ago.

Agree it is nice. Agree it is better than my Stoeger. But my Stoeger is better than I am so the truth is it is difficult to justify an upgrade.

No, I have not fully convinced myself of this truth.

Archived