SASS Wire Forum

My 12 year old got his first deer with a garand

Trigger Mike

My 12 year old son has been desperate to get his first deer for a couple of years.  He usually struggles with being still and quiet.  

Today I put put some corn and deer protein pellets mixed with berry scented hog attractant.  He and I sat in a 4x2 wooden hunting blind.  

As sunset approached I told him to put away his phone and look around.   

Soon, 5 does came from a different direction than they usually do,  but on his side of the blind.  They were walking toward us with tall weeds keeping them from seeing us.  He slowly raised his m1 garand and put it through the window and the lead deer turned sideways to him.  He fired.  

She jumped like a scalded dog and ran and then a second deer behind her spun around and fell.  He had hit 2 deer with the same bullet. 

We went 50 yards or so and found the first one shot thru the shoulder .  The bullet exited around her stomach area.  The bullet then hit the second deer after expanding, and hit her in the neck.  

2 deer with 1 hornady bullet.  I've never seen that happen before.   Both deer hut right where he was supposed to hit them.  

He shouted for joy.  He told His brother who gets multiple deer every year but this one, that if he is jealous, he understands.   

I glance at that picture and think - Garand? Then why the hell has it got a bolt handle?

Then I blow the picture up. There's a twig lying across the receiver in the perfect position to look like a bolt handle for a Mauser or a Springfield. :D

Archived