SASS Wire Forum

Coyote, wolf, mix?

Chief Rick

Mexican gray wolf and coyote hybrid. Very possible down here.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Missouri Department of Conservation said this was a coyote. 

Lots of yotes around here, I've shot a few, seen quite a few more. Looks like a 'yote to me.

JHC

4 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Forget the canus, where'd you get the blocks for your raised bed?

Not my pic but my wife says they're available at Lowe's and are used for decking.

This was a big one. Real tall. Kaya thought it was a Husky at first. There is another one that looks just like the OP that followed her to her stand. Bigger than this one. The DNR says there is wolf DNA in some.

IMG_20211219_115554338_HDR.jpg

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

This was a big one. Real tall. Kaya thought it was a Husky at first. There is another one that looks just like the OP that followed her to her stand. Bigger than this one. The DNR says there is wolf DNA in some.

IMG_20211219_115554338_HDR.jpg

I have a Marlin 336 just like that one. Minus the scope. 

That’s a big fluffy coyote. I am planning on ridding PA and WV of some of those next year. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

There is a great deal of yote&domestic dog crosses out there.

We see a lot of variation in coats, leg length and size. The last one I got was half that size 

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

We see a lot of variation in coats, leg length and size. The last one I got was half that size 

Do you sell the pelts?

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a Marlin 336 just like that one. Minus the scope. 

That’s a big fluffy coyote. I am planning on ridding PA and WV of some of those next year. 

That's a 94 in .44 mag. It's been a killer. I gave her a 1948 336 in .30-30 that was my uncle's. She never warmed up to it like that .44!

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do you sell the pelts?

Not yet. We generally see them while we are deer hunting. The off sides of them don't look so good when an XTPHP exits almost the size of a quarter. That one took two in short order. 

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

There is a lot of variation without the dog genes.  Yotes are bigger from northern states aka Bergmann's Rule.   Also, at one time there was around 11 different species of coyotes in the US.   Since the Gene Jockeys got involved in taxonomic classification that number most likely has changed.

I have property in northern Michigan and I've never seen any as big as in Indiana. Odd as I thought it would be reversed. They take a lot of deer up there though. We find one almost every time we go. They took one in the yard when we were there one time. Pretty nasty.

4 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

That's a 94 in .44 mag. It's been a killer. I gave her a 1948 336 in .30-30 that was my uncle's. She never warmed up to it like that .44!

Ha! I guess I should have zoomed in on the gun. 
My Marlin is a 30-30 with the straight stock.  It will probably end up wearing a scope but I plan to install some XS Sights on it, which I think will be good woods sights. I have them on my Winchester 94 carbine and like them very much. 

My best year Shooting Yotes and Foxes, I paid for a brand new 77 ford F-250 4X4 , all my reloading supplies for my Swift and .222 Rem. , Gas  and the fellow doing my skinning and stretching . 

I also have a lot of experience dealing with Wolves having been a Paid Predator control officer in areas with more wolves than wanted ...

Jabez Cowboy

In NH, coyotes are open season.

Eastern Wolves are protected, since they are a subspecies of the Timber Wolf, it is not clear where the Timber Wolf stands but there are none here anyway.

not protected are hybrids, wolf crossed with dogs or yotes. Also not protected are wolves raised as puppies and released (an autopsy will show the difference, the bone composition is different).

Oh by the Way would YA All like to import some more of Our Northern Timber Wolves, for Yellowstone and area ?

We will Gladly sell you some more, how about double the number of Nice fluffy Wolves you got last time, we have plenty to spare ....

Better yet how about we trade you Wolves for Elk ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived